What's new

Loading from tub bad for a croap?

Thanks. Someone posted a Dutch and Spanish link earlier in the thread. I'll have to investigate once my soap stock is considerably reduced.
Lol could be me.

Gifts and care Spain
Top of the chain Canada
Shaving time uk
Man and shaving Netherlands

And I have seen stirling pop up in other countries too (just like paa) but so far none in Europe who has a collection as big as Canada and the uk. Still none with the complete collection.
And since aftershave is a transport issue I would prefer that.

Lol could be me.

Gifts and care Spain
Top of the chain Canada
Shaving time uk
Man and shaving Netherlands
Yeah, I probably should have looked through the thread before posting. I'll definitely keep these in mind when I need to buy more soap. With the UK being out of the EU, I'd get stung for VAT and customs charges if I ordered from there. Or wait untill my next trip to the US.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Loading a croap from a tub isn't an issue as long as you are aware of water content.

I follow a few rules of thumb:
- do not bloom the crap
- use a damp, not wet brush (i.e. squeeze the knot to remove excess water before loading)
- tip the container upside down after loading (help let any excess water drain off when you are shaving)

Loading a croap from a tub isn't an issue as long as you are aware of water content.

I follow a few rules of thumb:
- do not bloom the crap
- use a damp, not wet brush (i.e. squeeze the knot to remove excess water before loading)
- tip the container upside down after loading (help let any excess water drain off when you are shaving)
Freudian slip? :)

If you're one of these guys with fifty-seven pounds of soap in rotation then direct moisture might not be a great idea. Of course you could always let it air-dry after each use or otherwise dry it manually.

If it's a croap you use often I imagine the frequent resurfacing would prevent any organic growth, or what have you.

Yeah, I probably should have looked through the thread before posting. I'll definitely keep these in mind when I need to buy more soap. With the UK being out of the EU, I'd get stung for VAT and customs charges if I ordered from there. Or wait untill my next trip to the US.
Well I ordered a b&m terror and stirling glacial electric sheep in the ik this year and the surcharge was 20 euro to holland.
Canada and the USA are cheaper to begin with and if you are lucky they mark the package with max 22 euro and if customs believe it no surcharge.
But aftershave you will need the continent for sure.
Lol still want electric sheep asb and witch hazel and fresh frost drops.

Just as with all things wet shaving, opinion is divided here! But I appreciate the responses.

For those of you who scrape, what is your scraping tool of choice? I've tried a little espresso spoon, and it works for consistently getting an appropriately small quantity. But some soap sticks to he spoon. I can scrape the residue off with my fingers and then rub it into my stubble as a preshave, but I prefer not to get my hands slick before grabbing my brush. I also find the little blob in my lather bowl can take quite some time to transform all the way into lather, even when using plenty of warm water. Sometimes I think I've gotten it all only to discover at the end of my shave that there was still a small unincorporated mass hiding under the lather.

I'm thinking a mini plastic flexible spatula might work better than the espresso spoon as I'd be able to smear the croap into a thin layer and maybe have an easier time of wiping the residue on the edge of my lather bowl or onto my brush. Any suggestions?
I use a butter knife (one, not four) you can get one at Walmart, Target etc...
Scrape off a small amount from the puck and mash it hard into your bowl. Clean the knife on your damp shave brush.
Your puck stays in new condition. This has worked for me for a long time.
1614107887457.png

To date I have always lathered directly in the soap container. I did have a problem with slight mold with a PAA Cad ck-6 soap. but not otherwise. However, I am going to try the scrape out method. Just seems more efficient to me and a bit less wasteful. We'll see how that works.

Reactions: bjm

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
The butter knife is fine, but I am preparing to launch three lines of artisinal shaving spatulas. One will be for croap, one will be for hard milled soap, and one will be for cream. Handles will be walnut, teak, or mahogany. There will be a first special addition designed exclusively for Martin de Candre. The handle will be malachite.

Ok, chill, it is a joke. Do what works for you. Get to know your croap, get it the way you like, and repeat. Not croap, but the pamphlet with Martin de Candre just says to get a badger brush. That works fine every morning: brush in water, on soap, on face, rinse well, and shake ...since 1964. Adjusting for back packing trips where I didn't shave, that is over 20,000 shaves, a good test run! I am sure I have done stuff wrong along the way, but no croap or soap or cream or brush was irreparably harmed.

Last edited:
Usually from the tub for me. I might scoop on the initial shave with a new soap where I'm unfamiliar with the scent or the performance and I might PIF it. Once I'm sure I'll keep it, strictly from the tub.

Lately I tend to take a scoop of soap out of the container and press that in my small suribachi loading bowl before face or bowl lathering. I tend to scoop approx for a week or so. Which also means rotation after that.
Just finished a sample of cc italian. Hmmmm what next for this week, maybe some tabac or another sample.

Reactions: bjm
IMO, I don't think it matters either way. I prefer scooping as it's just one less thing I have to rinse off during the cleanup. When I use to lather from the tub, I rinsed it well enough that it looked unused. Well as unused as a used croap can look. I cringe every time someone offers a croap on BST that still has residue left on the soap.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Apologies in advance :p (I do add an Ick-Factor disclaimer but still, I get it. However, hate scooping, so not gonna happen on the regular.)
Yeah, totally agree. Life is too short to scoop soap. I just load it right from the tub. I have never sold a soap. But if I did, and I may do it soon, i would wipe the top of the soap down with a damp paper towel to clean it up. And also put in a disclaimer. I have a couple of unobtainium sets and a bunch of other stuff I dont really use any more. I dont want to toss it. And all my local wet shave disciples have had enough of my hand me downs. I may just sell it off cheap to fund the postage, so someone else can try some new soaps.

I have a tub of Soap Commander that went moldy on me. I also had a tub of Cella go bad on me. Both were used loading from the tub.

Those were both early purchases in my DE shaving adventure, and I suspect the issue was related to not allowing enough drying time. I have not had the issue since. That said, I do scoop some soaps and not others.

Top Bottom