What's new

February 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in.

There are far too many distractions in life, and I don't need the emails to lure me to shave product websites, I find myself perusing there on my own free will.

Boars, badgers, Mike's, de Candre, Haslinger, R41, Blackbird...... Oh my, the list goes on.

Then I shake off the urge to fall prey to temptations and start thinking about how to make tomorrow's shave better.

Same gear as yesterday
(see, how quickly I shifted ? That's how I'm dodging the temptations)

Attachments

• IMG_20210222_190506.jpg
    IMG_20210222_190506.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 2
Gentlemen, I am out. I've been experiencing some dry skin lately and decided to get a couple of balms to see what suits me. One wouldn't have put me out, but two is one too many. See you next month! :001_smile

I hope one of those works for you. Please let us know what you got and when you have tried them, let us know how they work for you. We're at the tail end of a short month, so I hope you'll continue to play along at home and we'll see you in March.

And when a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal - OBiF
2) CzechCzar - out (1/11: Cella)
3) SharpieB - out (1/7: PIF entry)
4) @Sinnbad11
5) @B_R_A_D
6) @Jmp63 - Annual
7) @cryhavoc - Annual
8) @‘Bout Time
9) @Doti B
10) @henrickd - Annual
11) @AZBronco
12) @Roedeer
13) @Timeclo
14) Sotiris_A - out (2/21: Balms)
15) Abz88 - out (2/17: Many, many blades)
16) @hopper_64
17) @woodwzrd
18) MaineYooper - out (1/8: Blackbird razor)
19) @FL shaver
20) @Contact_vs_Feedback - Annual
21) @Stuart Ganis
22) @Lee93
23) @Rhody
24) @pdieten - Annual
25) @Chef455
26) @mattps1 - Annual
27) Leverspro - out (1/8: PIF entry)
28) @wmadoty - Annual - OBiF
29) @Tomo
30) @4and20blackbirds
31) @Cino
32) @Owen Bawn
33) @bluesman 7
34) @honeycutt

Still in.

Pre Shave: Hot shower and Neutrogena face wash
Razor: WCS Toothsome head
Blade: Kai
Brush: Maggard Synthetic
Soap: Stirling Gatlinburg
AS Balm: Nivea
AS: Stirling Executive Man
Beard Oil: Stirling Executive Man
EDT: Stirling Executive Man

Had a Stirling kind of morning today. I dug out my Great Grandfathers Old Spice mug with a sample puck up Gatlinburg in it and followed everything up with some Executive Man.

imageedit_3_9561260357.jpg

I hope one of those works for you. Please let us know what you got and when you have tried them, let us know how they work for you. We're at the tail end of a short month, so I hope you'll continue to play along at home and we'll see you in March.

The first is an affordable one that I can find in the supermarket, Noxzema Moisture. I tried it already and it does what it promises, hydration without leaving the skin oily.

1614016315821.png

The second one is on the completely opposite side of the price spectrum, Biotherm Ultra Confort. No tests yet as it is still in transit. Given the lockdown, it will take a while (a week or two) for it to show up.

1614016616867.png

That's the plan, no more buys till the end of month and rejoining in March.

Last edited:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
We do have a twisted way of saving money.
While saving money for big purchase, we fall for economic purchase, and then end up having a rotation of good products instead of one great product.

Enjoy the Mistura, it's on my list as well.
It’s a sickness right. And once I’ve gone this far I can’t forget my research and i
Know I’ll get the paladin. Eventually. (And are you saying that would be a “great” purchase?)
Ps thanks on the mistura.

And once I’ve gone this far I can’t forget my research and i
Know I’ll get the paladin. Eventually. (And are you saying that would be a “great” purchase?)
Absolutely right about not able to forget the research.

Wouldn't it be a great purchase ?
It's your research and requirements, if Paladin satisfies you, then no point delaying it by second choices, IMO.

If you can, cancel the Mistura and save for the Paladin.
Atleast then you'll not feel bad about giving in and getting another brush and having to wait a bit more for Paladin.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Absolutely right about not able to forget the research.

Wouldn't it be a great purchase ?
It's your research and requirements, if Paladin satisfies you, then no point delaying it by second choices, IMO.

If you can, cancel the Mistura and save for the Paladin.
Atleast then you'll not feel bad about giving in and getting another brush and having to wait a bit more for Paladin.
Well I forgot to mention my other tactic. If I can put off a purchase like that for awhile I may forget that I really “need “ it as I move on to other things. Maybe I’ll join the March challenge and hopefully they will sell out 🙃
Part of this process is that it’s not really a second choice but another choice.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I almost bought a paladin. But didn’t. Then I just thought I’d get a new alum block. Then the soc mistura looked interesting. Last one in stock. Next to a paladin it seemed like a bargain. I’m saving money actually. And I gave in.
Yep, the order I'm waiting for I was just getting a soap and some blades. Then I added some extra blades I didn't have. Next I saw @Cal use a nice, cheap TFS soap so I asked which one of 2 I should get, his answer led me to throw both in the basket. Finally before I left I had a look at A/S and found Proraso green going cheap so I saved myself more money.
I saved so much money I'll have to stay in the GRUMEs til next year so I can use some of it.

Still in

Working on getting the new brush smell out of the Classic 1 SiLVERTiP this week. This brush was intended as a travel brush and hasn’t seen much action yet due to the lockdowns. It turns out that it’s a m very capable home ground brush as well. It knocked up a great warm weather SMN lather this morning.

I almost bought a paladin. But didn’t. Then I just thought I’d get a new alum block. Then the soc mistura looked interesting. Last one in stock. Next to a paladin it seemed like a bargain. I’m saving money actually. And I gave in.
Out... .95 Timeless scalloped plate from BST. Sorry, my SS .68 Timeless is my "Desert Island" razor and I couldn't pass up an addition to it.
Dang - three "outs" listed on one page. :(

I find it helps to remember the mantra: "Do not seek and ye shall not find." Oh, and the other one: "A penny saved is a penny earned."

Anyhoo, if you are so inclined, continue to play along at home and we'll hope to see both of you in March.

And when a brother (or two) falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal - OBiF
2) CzechCzar - out (1/11: Cella)
3) SharpieB - out (1/7: PIF entry)
4) @Sinnbad11
5) @B_R_A_D
6) @Jmp63 - Annual
7) @cryhavoc - Annual
8) @‘Bout Time
9) @Doti B
10) @henrickd - Annual
11) @AZBronco
12) @Roedeer
13) @Timeclo
14) Sotiris_A - out (2/21: Balms)
15) Abz88 - out (2/17: Many, many blades)
16) @hopper_64
17) @woodwzrd
18) MaineYooper - out (1/8: Blackbird razor)
19) @FL shaver
20) @Contact_vs_Feedback - Annual
21) @Stuart Ganis
22) @Lee93
23) Rhody - out (2/22: Semogue brush)
24) @pdieten - Annual
25) Chef455 - out (2/22: Timeless plate)
26) @mattps1 - Annual
27) Leverspro - out (1/8: PIF entry)
28) @wmadoty - Annual - OBiF
29) @Tomo
30) @4and20blackbirds
31) @Cino
32) @Owen Bawn
33) @bluesman 7
34) @honeycutt

Top Bottom