What's new

The Measure of Man

On the way. Interested in comparing to other leather/tobacco soaps (Humidor, Leviathan, Tertius, Choco Cubano, Sherlock, Spanish Leather, Haverford, Earth of Mankind, Smoke on the Water) in the stable....
Have you tried Henri E T Victoria's "Cognac and Cuban Cigars? It's by far and away my favorite Tobacco themed scent.

In fact, I think it might just be the best smelling soap I've ever experienced...period.

Leviathan is one of the greatest scents ever created. A masterpiece.

Amen! Like enjoying a cuppa hot Guatemalan medium roast in a leather biker jacket.... :001_smile

proxy.php

Last edited:
Have you tried Henri E T Victoria's "Cognac and Cuban Cigars? It's by far and away my favorite Tobacco themed scent.

In fact, I think it might just be the best smelling soap I've ever experienced...period.

Haven't tried yet, but it's on the list! HeV has intrigued me for a while with their descriptions...

Leviathan is one of the greatest scents ever created. A masterpiece.
This is high praise indeed. I will have to order a Leviathan set when it comes around again next year.

I did order both Rhapsody and The Full Measure of Man just prior to encountering this thread. Interesting coincidence.

The one fly in the ointment is the insistence of B&M on using balm as the after shave component (see what I did there).

I do agree that Henri et Victoria C & C is a great scent. Unfortunately for me, I am one of those who experience skin irritation from it. As far as great cured tobacco scents go, the best one I have used is Los Jabones de Joserra Rodrigo de Jerez. Other good ones include WSP Tobacco and Eufros Tobacco. We will see how The Full Measure of Man measures up.

Last edited:
My understand is his alcohol supply is limited due to the pandemic. I did order the FMoM balm. His balms are great- they seem more like a gel to me than a cream. I still don't like using balms or creams during the warmer months so waiting for him to restock Cool.

Have any of you that placed orders received them? I'm very much looking forward to some reviews on the scent

I just got mine. i really can't put it into words but Will's description is spot on. There is zero smoke but i can definitely smell the pipe tobacco and its incredible. Ever been to antique shop in New England that sells bags of pipe tobacco? That's what it reminds me of, anyway.

When i open the balm, the mousse de saxe is the first thing that hits. Its very inky. Very rich and well done, as per the usual B&M.

Will's creations always seem to dig deep in my memory bank. I used to spend many hours studying in the Hill Center Library during my college days and there was always a fellow with a handlebar mustache tucked in a corner outside smoking his pipe every day around the same time. The smoke would waft in through the library windows...loved that smell. Fond memories.

Will's creations always seem to dig deep in my memory bank. I used to spend many hours studying in the Hill Center Library during my college days and there was always a fellow with a handlebar mustache tucked in a corner outside smoking his pipe every day around the same time. The smoke would waft in through the library windows...loved that smell. Fond memories.
It's incredible how aromas can do that. Scent is the sense most closely associated with memory due to adjacency to a certain part of the brain, if I'm not mistaken.

Nothing can conjure nostalgia like a familiar smell.

I just got mine. i really can't put it into words but Will's description is spot on. There is zero smoke but i can definitely smell the pipe tobacco and its incredible. Ever been to antique shop in New England that sells bags of pipe tobacco? That's what it reminds me of, anyway.

When i open the balm, the mousse de saxe is the first thing that hits. Its very inky. Very rich and well done, as per the usual B&M.

I had no intention of ordering this one and yet it’s on the way. I am very curious to see what B&M does with a tobacco scent.

This is mousse de saxe all the way. I don't really get much of what I am used to in a tobacco fragrance. This is not for me. The scent is well put together, but just reminds me of too many things that I don't prefer. I was hoping for the leather, brandy, and old library. However that is not what I smell, I get the smell of the head shops that burn incense and candles. The smell of the candles I can not stand. The best way I can describe it is to picture putting incense, powder, and candles into an old worn leather purse. Obviously YMMV and this is but one man's opinion. If you love mousse de saxe this may be right up your alley. I haven't purchased a new scent in a while due to thinning the proverbial heard, so I took a chance with this new release. Unfortunately, it isn't for me and I won't be keeping it because my better half hates it too. Cheers.

This is mousse de saxe all the way. I don't really get much of what I am used to in a tobacco fragrance. This is not for me. The scent is well put together, but just reminds me of too many things that I don't prefer. I was hoping for the leather, brandy, and old library. However that is not what I smell, I get the smell of the head shops that burn incense and candles. The smell of the candles I can not stand. The best way I can describe it is to picture putting incense, powder, and candles into an old worn leather purse. Obviously YMMV and this is but one man's opinion. If you love mousse de saxe this may be right up your alley. I haven't purchased a new scent in a while due to thinning the proverbial heard, so I took a chance with this new release. Unfortunately, it isn't for me and I won't be keeping it because my better half hates it too. Cheers.
Did you lather it up? Wonder if it changes much when lathered vs off the fresh puck.

This one’s not for me either. I was hoping for the same things as you were. I really wanted to like this scent. To me this smells like Roam minus the smoke add the Mousse de Saxe. The predominant scent that remained for me after the ASB was the Mousse de Saxe. I like the Mousse de Saxe a lot, but get my fill of it from Lavanille and Vespers.

I don’t recognize the tobacco scent either. I didn’t smell incense. For me it was something sweet and syrupy. Not a keeper, but as always YMMV.

Top Bottom