What's new

Favorite handle shape (suggestions w/pictures please)...

Beautiful brush, my friend! 😍

Heavy drool factor with this one! :thumbup:

Perhaps we should start a new 'Brotherhood of Those Who Are Unable to Resist Buying New Brushes' (or something to that effect) Group. ;) 🤣
Thank you David. I am working on 2 more RV brushes and then I am done. I am weak, I admit it! The brush is just fun to create, more so than buying off the shelf razors, aftershaves, soaps etc. With that being said, I am trying to cap at 6 brushes tops, ideally 5 or 4 or 3... Haha!

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Good thread - might have turned a bit from the handles, couple not mentioned are the Eagle shape & the Sno-man .. but the last mentioned from my homeland looks wonderful

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thank you David. I am working on 2 more RV brushes and then I am done. I am weak, I admit it! The brush is just fun to create, more so than buying off the shelf razors, aftershaves, soaps etc. With that being said, I am trying to cap at 6 brushes tops, ideally 5 or 4 or 3... Haha!

I confess that I have another Irish Bog Oak (IBO) handle coming from Rudy - this one with the Mühle 25mm STF. :cool:

'Brushaholics Anonymous' here I come. ;)

Both Doug Korn customs. The best.
PXL_20210212_194517644.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20210106_180822634.PORTRAIT.jpg

There continues to be some beautiful brush handles added to this thread, which doesn't help those like myself and @never-stop-learning!

I had my first lather with my new RV AS3M this morning and the handle/knot combination didn't disappoint in performance. With that being said, this combination is right up against my limit for the knot being too large at 26x52. I usually prefer a max knot of 24/48, so we shall see if this beauty makes the cut in my den moving forward (yes, I am a bit neurotic when it comes to brushes, ask anyone around these parts). The following contributed to a really terrific Saturday morning shave.

Gillette New SC Re-plated with Bright Nickel/TiBam "Sample 12" Titanium Handle
Gillette Nacet
Saponificio Varesino Felce Aromatica
Rudy Vey AS3M Faux Tortoise with RV Manchurian Fan
Proraso Sandalwood (so nice this time of year)

IMG_7308.jpeg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
There continues to be some beautiful brush handles added to this thread, which doesn't help those like myself and @never-stop-learning!

I had my first lather with my new RV AS3M this morning and the handle/knot combination didn't disappoint in performance. With that being said, this combination is right up against my limit for the knot being too large at 26x52. I usually prefer a max knot of 24/48, so we shall see if this beauty makes the cut in my den moving forward (yes, I am a bit neurotic when it comes to brushes, ask anyone around these parts). The following contributed to a really terrific Saturday morning shave.

Gillette New SC Re-plated with Bright Nickel/TiBam "Sample 12" Titanium Handle
Gillette Nacet
Saponificio Varesino Felce Aromatica
Rudy Vey AS3M Faux Tortoise with RV Manchurian Fan
Proraso Sandalwood (so nice this time of year)

View attachment 1222366
Gorgeous Kit, my friend! 😍

So many new temptations on this thread. ;)

Here are my current @Rudy Vey brushes:
View attachment 1215387
View attachment 1215388
View attachment 1215389View attachment 1215390
@It's Hedley - Bet you recognize a couple of these. ;)

My favorite handles are the Beehive, Bog Oak, Lemon Drop, Keyhole, Persian Jar, AS3M and Tulip.

I'll post some additional handle shapes from Simpson, Ever-Ready and others later. 😎

Does the orange handle in the second photo have a name? I'm always on the lookout for taller handles.

Great thread, some fabulous looking brushes..!!

I have two clear favourite handles, "barberstyle", and octagon. I have a two-band with each handle, pretty close to what you are aiming at.

One is a Shavemac D01, 25/52 (octagonal handle, called "173" in Shavemac terminology).
One is a Maseto 26/52.

I attach a picture of each -- sorry, I am not very good at taking stylish pictures.

handle-shavemac.jpg mase2.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Great thread, some fabulous looking brushes..!!

I have two clear favourite handles, "barberstyle", and octagon. I have a two-band with each handle, pretty close to what you are aiming at.

One is a Shavemac D01, 25/52 (octagonal handle, called "173" in Shavemac terminology).
One is a Maseto 26/52.

I attach a picture of each -- sorry, I am not very good at taking stylish pictures.

View attachment 1223142 View attachment 1223143

I like those handle shapes, too.

Shavemac.30 mm.TwoBandSilvertip.640.JPG

These photos make the Zenith horse look larger than the 30 mm Shavemac which it isn't. Not saying the Zenith isn't a taller handle, but the blue handle is large.

Both handle shapes are great in my opinion.​
5-28-19.Zenith.HorseHair.507N:BR XS.640.JPG

In my opinion all photos are better than no photos.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I received brush #2 from Rudy today and I have to say it looks terrific in person post bloom. This Jade Tulip handle has two very distinct sides in appearance. I can't decide which side I like more, which is a great problem to have. The Manchurian fan knot is in the 23/46 range, which is really a great size for me. Very pleased with how this one turned out.

IMG_7358.jpeg

IMG_7357.jpeg

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I received brush #2 from Rudy today and I have to say it looks terrific in person post bloom. This Jade Tulip handle has two very distinct sides in appearance. I can't decide which side I like more, which is a great problem to have. The Manchurian fan knot is in the 23/46 range, which is really a great size for me. Very pleased with how this one turned out.

View attachment 1225520
View attachment 1225521
Well dang, Hedley, that there brush almost puts my Bog Oak Persian Jar to shame (almost). I think only Rudy could ever make a Tulip as pretty as a PJ.
It is a Brush of Beauty. You are to be envied.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

View attachment 1225520
View attachment 1225521

Very different sides. Both good. Way too small of course.

It's very interesting to me how the size of the knot matters to all of us but there's no general agreement about what size is best.

Some guys, like Cal @Cal think of 23 mm as being the very upper limit of the size range (I hope I'm not wrong about what Cal thinks and apologize if I am). They prefer 18 mm or thereabouts.

Others, like you, might see 23 mm as the bee's knees.

I like 26 mm and up, and think of 24 mm as medium sized and borderline too small, but will admit to occasionally liking to use my Omega Mighty Midget. I'll also admit I don't like all large brushes so some of it depends on the aspects of the brush other than knot size.

A few gentlemen have mentioned their affinity for very large brushes. To them, 28 mm might be the beginning of medium size and 26 mm might fall into the too small range.

I have no idea what any of that means other than to say use what you like, and sell what you don't.

I've just discovered one of my best friends, a local gentleman, has gotten into wet shaving giving me the perfect PIF opportunity. He's my second local PIF opportunity, but the first into the hobby (and into the DE razor).

I like the green (with brown highlights) side better, but both are great. Thanks for showing it off.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom