What's new

Shavemac ; What is the origin of this shops name ?

I have one of their brushes and it's one of mine favorites !
I'm just curious about the shops name .

I'm guessing the founder was sitting at his Mac computer setting up his online shave shop .

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Ha ha.
no everyone called him ”Mac” because they couldn’t remember his name.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have one of their brushes and it's one of mine favorites !
I'm just curious about the shops name .

I'm guessing the founder was sitting at his Mac computer setting up his online shave shop .
I doubt there were computers or big macs around in Germany when the company was founded.
But, good question, next time I speak with Bernd I will ask him.

Mr. Karl Blos
Vater.jpg

I just had a look at their webpage...
Bernd Blos son of Karl, joined the company in the late 80ies.
He developed the Shavemac brand and initiated the move from OEM handles only to complete brushes.
He was also the mind behind selling them online and via a configurator which is a webfeature since 1998! and sets them apart from the likes of Täther and others.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I visited them in 2013 and did a write up here, you may want to search for it.
A few pictures from the visit, and my little report:

Shavemac was founded by Bernd’s father and initially started out to make handles for companies making shaving brushes located in the area (center of brush making in Germany). After Bernd joined the family company, he expanded their business by starting making their own brush knots. There are four departments at Shavemac:

Knot making

Handle making

Engraving and installation of the knots in the handle

Shipping/accounting

Knots are made from selected badger hair that comes from a dressing company, i.e. sorting and cleaning of the hair for Shavemac is done out house. And with this, nobody receives a smelly brush!!

The knots are all made in house by experienced knot makers. Some of the pictures here are showing this process:

Weighing of the needed amount of hair

Stacking in forming box

Tying of the hair with string

Forming of the knots by hand

Cutting off stray hairs

Epoxying of the knots

The handles are made in a different part of the building. The length is cut from rod material, knot holes drilled and then formed into the typical Shavemac shapes by a special procedure: a mix of turning and grinding (the blanks are slowly rotated against a grinding wheel with the outside shape of the handle. This is followed by several fine buffing steps. With an engraving system the handles are engraved with names, logos, dates etc.

In the final step the knots are installed in the handle, the brushes are packed and shipped worldwide.

The pictures here are showing some of the steps.

1. Bernd Blos, owner of Shavemac.JPG

Attachments

• 2. Weighing the exact amount of hair needed to make a knot.JPG
    2. Weighing the exact amount of hair needed to make a knot.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 58
  • 3. Hair is placed in a stacking or forming box.JPG
    3. Hair is placed in a stacking or forming box.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
  • 4. The forming box is tapped on the granite plate to get all the hairs aligned.JPG
    4. The forming box is tapped on the granite plate to get all the hairs aligned.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 58
  • 4a. Tapping the stacker box.JPG
    4a. Tapping the stacker box.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
  • 5. Tying off the knot with a string.JPG
    5. Tying off the knot with a string.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 57
  • 6. The knot before final shaping by hand.JPG
    6. The knot before final shaping by hand.JPG
    983.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 7. The final shaping is done carefully by hand.JPG
    7. The final shaping is done carefully by hand.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 58
  • 8. Cutting off the stray hairs with a special knife.JPG
    8. Cutting off the stray hairs with a special knife.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
  • 9. Afterwards, the bottom of the knots is cut straight and epoxy applied to stabilize the knot..JPG
    9. Afterwards, the bottom of the knots is cut straight and epoxy applied to stabilize the knot..JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 60

Shavemac was founded by Bernd’s father and initially started out to make handles for companies making shaving brushes located in the area (center of brush making in Germany). After Bernd joined the family company, he expanded their business by starting making their own brush knots. There are four departments at Shavemac:

Knot making

Handle making

Shipping/accounting

Knots are made from selected badger hair that comes from a dressing company, i.e. sorting and cleaning of the hair for Shavemac is done out house. And with this, nobody receives a smelly brush!!

The knots are all made in house by experienced knot makers. Some of the pictures here are showing this process:

Stacking in forming box

Cutting off stray hairs

Epoxying of the knots

The handles are made in a different part of the building. The length is cut from rod material, knot holes drilled and then formed into the typical Shavemac shapes by a special procedure: a mix of turning and grinding (the blanks are slowly rotated against a grinding wheel with the outside shape of the handle. This is followed by several fine buffing steps. With an engraving system the handles are engraved with names, logos, dates etc.

In the final step the knots are installed in the handle, the brushes are packed and shipped worldwide.

View attachment 1224414

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He developed the Shavemac brand and initiated the move from OEM handles only to complete brushes.
He was also the mind behind selling them online and via a configurator which is a webfeature since 1998! and sets them apart from the likes of Täther and others.

Great history!! Thanks!

:a29:

Knot making

Handle making

Shipping/accounting

Stacking in forming box

Cutting off stray hairs

Epoxying of the knots

View attachment 1224414

Outstanding!! :clap: :clap:

I absolutely love the Shavemac configurator. I've purchased three brushes, two synthetics and a d01 3 band that's being made now, using it and my favorite part is all the unique handle colors to choose from. I guess I find the traditional ivory or black colored handles a little boring. Plus you get a custom made brush to your exact specs for basically the same price as a non custom Shavemac. I can't believe no other brush maker has copied it.

Top Bottom