What's new

Dry Box - for storing SR's

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I live on a small tropical island in the Philippines (Mactan Island). At the suggestion of @Tomo I purchased a dry box in which to store my SR's. A dry box is often used to store camera gear in a relatively dry environment. The dry box that I chose for my SR's is an Andbon AD-30S of 30 litre capacity with automatic electronic controls. You can set the desired relative humidity for inside the box from 60% to 25% +/- 2% and it consumes 0.4W of power so should not break the bank with power bills at about 15 cents per month.

The dry box is manufactured by Zhuhai Andbon Technology Co., Ltd. Their web site can be found at https://www.andbon.en.alibaba.com. My Andbon 30 litre dry box holds my five M7DS's plus 11 other SR's in their timber cases. I store them at 35% relative humidity. This dry box was bought from a discount camera house in Manaila. Normal cost is about USD 80 (plus USD 10 delivery from Manila).

IMG_20210216_112935.jpg

IMG_20210216_113050.jpg
I am very impressed with the quality of construction of this dry box, particularly for the price.

Wow. That looks high tech. I want one!

It even has a lock on the front. Not a bad idea when you add up the cost of a typical den around here. Glass fronted display door. Very nice....

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
And internal lighting to show off your treasures.
IMG_20210216_130336.jpg
I just did a quick search on AliExpress and unfortunately I could not find any that are of the automatic type (model number ending in "S").

Last edited:
I live on a small tropical island in the Philippines (Mactan Island). At the suggestion of @Tomo I purchased a dry box in which to store my SR's. A dry box is often used to store camera gear in a relatively dry environment. The dry box that I chose for my SR's is an Andbon AD-30S of 30 litre capacity with automatic electronic controls. You can set the desired relative humidity for inside the box from 60% to 25% +/- 2% and it consumes 0.4W of power so should not break the bank with power bills at about 15 cents per month.

The dry box is manufactured by Zhuhai Andbon Technology Co., Ltd. Their web site can be found at https://www.andbon.en.alibaba.com. My Andbon 30 litre dry box holds my five M7DS's plus 11 other SR's in their timber cases. I store them at 35% relative humidity. This dry box was bought from a discount camera house in Manaila. Normal cost is about USD 80 (plus USD 10 delivery from Manila).

I am very impressed with the quality of construction of this dry box, particularly for the price.

all kinds of wickedness there!!!!

congrats on a fine purchase!!!!

(tough small tropical island living there)

camo

Legion

Staff member
Wow. That looks high tech. I want one!

It even has a lock on the front. Not a bad idea when you add up the cost of a typical den around here. Glass fronted display door. Very nice....
You don't need one in Melbourne. I had one, just because I got it for free, but I ended up giving it to a mate in QLD who collects knives, because it was just taking up space in my apartment.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
With a tropical storm in our vicinity today, the relative humidity is around 90%. It's comforting to know that my SR's are in a dry cabinet with 35% to 40% relative humidity.

IMG_20210222_141150.jpg

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
A word of caution with dry cabinets. DO NOT store razors with ivory scales in there, especially if you have it set to 35% RH. They will dry out and crack. I would also be careful with horn.
Good advice. All my SR's have scales of timber. I don't (currently) intend to get any SR's with ivory or horn scales but do you have a suggested/recommended relative humidity value for storing ivory and/or horn scaled SR's?

Legion

Staff member
Good advice. All my SR's have scales of timber. I don't (currently) intend to get any SR's with ivory or horn scales but do you have a suggested/recommended relative humidity value for storing ivory and/or horn scaled SR's?
I'd have to check my old text books for horn, but ivory likes around 50-55RH. Not ideal for carbon steel, but that's why preservation is often a balancing act.

Legion

Staff member
For people who don't live in tropical areas things are a lot simpler. I just keep my razors in sealed containers, and that can be as simple as a large glass jar. I store the ones with synthetic scales with silica packets in the jar, and the ones with natural scales without. I've not had any rust problems, but the yearly average humidity is about 52% where I live.

I do this with the razors not in my rotation, as well as some other things (mostly smaller electronics) I want to protect from humidity. It's not as nice looking as the shelves that others show, but for those of us living in tropical weather, it's a load off the mind!

Top Bottom