What's new

Wooden pencils??

59F756D6-C617-4855-AE78-C3B9F347B235.jpeg

Taken just now in my shop. I had been twiddling this pencil in my hand when I opened this thread. Plenty more in the house where that came from, I’m never far away from one.

I bought a bunch of these for my boys to use for school work. Honestly for the price and size I really like them also.
Stadtler jumbo triangular pencils in 2B for anyone trying to read the writing. 4456E85E-6150-4864-B11D-5857261B265D.jpeg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I was turned on to Blackwing 602 a couple years ago. I‘m not much of a pencil user but how can you not have at least a dozen laying around? I bought a box of Blackwings a couple years ago and haven’t bought any other pencils since. Still got about 8 or so of them.

I’m mainly interested in something that will last for decades, or even centuries. It’s my understanding that ink is better than lead so I do 99% of my writing with ink. Although lead has been proven to last many decades I believe it fades a lot quicker than ink. And because it’s not “soaking” in to the paper, but rather “laying” on top, it can be wiped off over time.

Anyway, Blackwing 602 for me when I need to potentially erase something or just a quick note that is meaningless. Otherwise I’ll do ink.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I'm another one who's never investigated high-end pencils. I mean, I'm sure they're out there but up to now whatever I buy in a box from Staples downtown is what I use. There's a crank sharpener out in the shop and various handheld varieties scattered here and there because both my wife and I use pencils a lot.

Some years ago a friend of mine was trying to determine how far up the cylinder a piston was on his motorcycle engine. He thought of inserting a pencil down the sparkplug hole and then measuring it. Pleased with his Yankee ingenuity, he grabbed a new pencil and put it in the hole.

Where it promptly disappeared. He ended up having to pull the head to get it out. That summer at a small gathering a bunch of us stuck about 500 pencils all over his motorcycle. He was amused. He put 'em all in a box and took them home with him.

O.H.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Only wood pencils for me. They’re what I grew up with and what I’m used to using. My wife on the other hand is strictly a mechanical pencil user. I guess opposites do attract.

I have used a wood pencil numerous times to plug fuel, transmission, brake and other lines when changing filters etc. I had a buddy try to plug a fuel line with a pencil while changing a fuel filter after I suggested he try it. He used a mechanical pencil with less than stellar results.

You can try Antique wooden pencils. Both mechanical and Wooden pencils are awesome. I just love them because they can write at any angle :redface-new:

I was turned on to Blackwing 602 a couple years ago. I‘m not much of a pencil user but how can you not have at least a dozen laying around? I bought a box of Blackwings a couple years ago and haven’t bought any other pencils since. Still got about 8 or so of them.

I’m mainly interested in something that will last for decades, or even centuries. It’s my understanding that ink is better than lead so I do 99% of my writing with ink. Although lead has been proven to last many decades I believe it fades a lot quicker than ink. And because it’s not “soaking” in to the paper, but rather “laying” on top, it can be wiped off over time.

Anyway, Blackwing 602 for me when I need to potentially erase something or just a quick note that is meaningless. Otherwise I’ll do ink.
I begun using the blackwings in December and I was very surprised about the world of a difference in comparison with other pencils... for drawing and calligraphy I find it is worth the price

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Love the bw pencils. I’m looking at the black wing long point sharpener. Looks really cool. Anyone use this long point style before?

I am addicted to Rotrings, got a whole stack of 0.5 and 2mm ones. And a pile of 5.6mm Kooh-i-noor holders as well. The only non mechanical ones I use are the pure graphite pencils and blocks.

derwent-natural-graphite.jpg

I'm on my last wood pencil from a box of Dixon Oriole 2. I haven't decided what to try next. I grew up with wood pencils, but my handwriting has gotten so bad in retirement that I usually only use them for quick notes or marking wood or something else to cut. I've tried different wood pencils over the years, but if I'm writing something that I hope to still be able to read a couple days later, I use a TWSBI Jr Pagoda 0.7 mechanical that I got a couple years ago from jetpens. For some reason, the mechanical forces me to write more legibly than a wood.

I have been helping the schools art teacher this year. Mostly cutting out cardboard shapes . Teddy bears, llamas, squares, rectangles. Whatever she needs. Painting one side when needed. I was using a pencil to trace The shape before cutting. I got to where I would sharpen with my pocket knife or a box cutter. One day I remembered my grandfather using a knife to sharpen his pencil in his garage. I stopped and looked at the pencil rough sharpened. If that’s a good description? Funny how memories are .....not a special pencil. Just one I found in the classroom that had no eraser left. I’m kind of fond of it now.

Here are some wood pencils that I came across while finishing the clearing out of my mom's house.
20210328_174814.jpg

I have been using the Pentech Rubberwriter the past few days. It certainly lays down a nice dark line but I notice the lead rounds out pretty quickly. Not surprising given that I think its a pretty soft lead.

Tim

Top Bottom