What's new

B&B's I Cycle, You Cycle, Let's Exchange Stories (aka B.I.C.Y.C.L.E.S.)

First ride in just under 2 weeks due to the out of town holiday. Thirty miles with a windbreaker as it was 59 with a NE wind of 10. Thirty miles. Looking forward to the next 6 months of outdoor activity.

Found myself in Kissimmee, FL, today and my son and I did a Sugarloaf Mountain ride. We got caught by rain just after finishing Sugarloaf Mountain Road, and took refuge under Live Oaks and horizontal towable roadsigns. We stopped for the worst of it mostly to save electronics. 25+ mile ride starting and finishing at Waterfront Park on Lake Minneola in Winter Garden. The “climb” took all of 3 mins (not full gas), but it was nice to ride some hills and twisting roads for a change. 4CAF02EE-900B-49CE-9504-52566103DB55.png

Here's my fat tire mountain bike

That is the only type of bike I've seen on the streets these last few days. There are about 20 cross-country skiers on the street for each bicyclist. I'm walking, not biking.

But I still have electricity (most of the time).

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
That is the only type of bike I've seen on the streets these last few days. There are about 20 cross-country skiers on the street for each bicyclist. I'm walking, not biking.

But I still have electricity (most of the time).
Looks like you folks are getting our version of "lake effect snow"..... ocean effect? Hope you can keep the lights on!

Back to that bike: I would LOVE one of those with electric assistance.... Get me out of my Lazyarseboy!

Back to that bike: I would LOVE one of those with electric assistance.... Get me out of my Lazyarseboy!
If you can, do it! Very common experience with e-bikes is that people ride more often (and farther) than they expected they would. So much so that the health benefits of pedelec e-bikes is about the same as traditional. I found this was true with my cargo bike. I thought I might ride it to work (before retirement) once in a while (9 miles each way) and ended up riding it every chance I could.

I just received my new e-bike; my valentine's new bike is on a ship somewhere making its way from Germany. Rare snow in PDX this weekend so waiting for a bit more accommodating weather to do much riding.

67EB3244-63FF-448C-8CE4-C26FF50E9952.jpeg

Back to typical Florida hill climbing today with a gusty S wind.

I need to correct my post above. Our Sugarloaf Mountain ride started in Clermont, FL. It is the circumnavigation of Lake Apopka that starts in Winter Garden. Another ride...

For once we somehow managed to keep power. I respect the brutal temps that much of the country has to deal with, but ice storms are no joke either. My neighborhood currently is just a giant slushee and hopefully that's the story going forward for this episode.

I'm not as bendy as I used to be and getting older by the day :p so I splurged on a full suspension low-step. No excuses now!

@T.Orso Awesome! There are no excuses! Anyone else out?
I didn’t actually see other riders today, but usually there are a handful even in conditions like these.

I find it quite fun to tackle snow on the bikeshare bikes. The tires are wide and semi-slick. So if you get up enough speed you float on the snow pretty well, and you can more or less keep a line despite never having a solid grip. After that, as long as you don’t stop, accelerate or change direction, you’re good!

Pulled the steed out of the shed in preparation for an early exercise regimen, and the tires were dry rotted bad. Started looking on-line, dang the price of bicycle tires is crazy! I saw many in the $75-100 range. Decided to hit the local mom and pop repair shop. They had some decent 700x50c beaded tires for $36 per.

Got them mounted up, really nice ride to them. And I was pleasantly relieved that the rest of the machine performed flawlessly after sitting for some months. Gotta get out and ride more!

Paid $64 to replace one of my son’s Contis after our Saturday ride. 700cx25 Schwalbe Lugano 2. Pretty cool that Clermont has a bike shop right at Waterfront Park. Paid a little extra, but I know it got swapped!

I got a late winter ride out of nowhere! I usually cruise to my dental appointments in a full cyclist gear. This time my dentist cancelled while I was en route. Sunny, upper 50s (after ice and snow, then rain for these last few weeks). Too late to go ski.

So I u-turned back to my bike garage, swapped the utility bike for some steel sturdiness rather than getting the carbon steed dirty, and put 40 miles, mostly bike/walk paths, on the GPS before sun down and dinner. A little more break-in for the Brooks B17 narrow.

Headed for Troutdale along Marine Drive - houseboats on the Columbia River, Mt Hood peeking through:
E81BF992-7E77-4E99-86F7-701DEDEC765B.jpeg

Crossing a major boulevard near the south end of the Gresham Fairview Trail:
1410D70E-B005-48A3-94D9-02CCAAA991CF.jpeg

Do I have time to take the Springwater ex-rail trail up hill to beautiful Boring, Oregon? No. Turn right to head down to Sellwood.
093B812E-786F-4F86-AD83-5456EB7FE2AB.jpeg

Last edited:
A couple of Saturday mornings a month I help plant and mulch trees along one of the major roadways through my town. I take the mountain bike usually to get a ride through the trees and up and down the berm that separates the road from homes. Some day, I hope a trail gets laid out. I took the Jeep to the sites today, though, but because it was cool and overcast this FL morning. After, I had energy left to do a MTB ride. It sprinkled most of the ride. Eleven miles (about half of the length you could ride along the berm), one hour, as much up and down as you like, and a couple of miles between the planted trees. The Cypress are bright green at a time of year they are usually rust. Glad to have winter rain for the plantings!
9C13F268-02A1-4BEA-B27B-16E2D856BD10.jpegF85D83EB-5233-485B-9645-66EB68AB0122.jpeg00EA2F0D-A376-4D4F-A0B0-CE24C6F2D49D.jpegB2BE607C-63D8-4FC4-AE1E-BDDA26DE8673.jpeg

Cold front passed yesterday. Rode N winds S for the most part. Beauty of a day. 73 degrees, 37%, NNE 15. My wife passed me in the SUV. 28 miles.
D22773CA-9D28-40A3-B804-7F0E76AA7131.jpegA5BCAE40-557F-47D4-9BB9-7ACEAAE35152.jpeg
Not a scenic route at all. Florida strip mall suburbs after crossing the Caloosahatchee and making a slow trip through Lakes Park.

Last edited:
Top Bottom