What's new

$90 worth outta 45 Ruger Bisley

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Friday. 🤔 Time to shoot!

Noticed 4 boxes of 45 Colt reloads (Keith-style semiwadcutters SWCs) laying around . Been shooting 38 SWCs lately faster than I can replenish, so. Traded up!

Besides. The 45 meplat is probably bigger than the 38 cartridge! 🤣 Dayum:

full

Gun is a very pretty Ruger Blackhawk Bisley Convertible 45 Colt with spare 45 ACP cylinder. I used to shoot this a lot more at an outdoor range. Love shooting it from a rest at 50 yards, a true hunting handgun - a "rifle-pistol" 👍.

full

Though a bit unused to the weight, this pistol absorbed recoil to the greatest extent. Just a push. These handloads are 255 grain SWCs over maybe 7, 7.5 grains of Unique? 🤔 I don't remember. They're going to get reloaded with TrailBoss. Anyways.

full

Burned through a very fun hundred rounds - at replacement cost, $45/box! 😯 But at least they had them. 😉 Ah, cost me a hundred primers and a handful of powder. Lead I get free. 45 Colt cases can be reloaded infinitely, I believe. (hyperbole, but many x many loadings).

full

Considering I haven't shot it in a couple, pretty pleased. And it's a snap to clean big bores, already done.

There is a flaw with this run of 5.5" convertibles. Ruger made the cylinder mouths too small, like 450. 🤔 Had mine bored out to 452. Bore is 451. Slugs are 452.

full

Any Blackhawk fans? Wish I had one in 327. 🤔 And 357.

AA

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have a .45 LC Bisley, been a long time since I shot it. I also have a regular Blackhawk in .45 LC with a .45 ACP cylinder. I also have Blackhawk convertibles in .32-20/.32 H&R and .38-40/10mm. And a shopkeepers with birds head grip in .32 H&R.

Oh, and nice shooting ^ !

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have a .45 LC Bisley, been a long time since I shot it. I also have a regular Blackhawk in .45 LC with a .45 ACP cylinder. I also have Blackhawk convertibles in .32-20/.32 H&R and .38-40/10mm. And a shopkeepers with birds head grip in .32 H&R.

Oh, and nice shooting ^ !
45 Colt is just such a great cartridge, with it you'll never need 44 Mag - especially if you already shoot or make 451 projectiles.

Blackhawk is magic, all the writers of old were correct in their love of SA. IMHO. Certain guns make everyone shoot well, thanks.

Do check your cylinder mouths, drop a 451 or a 452 through there. (It was only this run of stainless ones I think.)

AA

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Friday. 🤔 Time to shoot!

Noticed 4 boxes of 45 Colt reloads (Keith-style semiwadcutters SWCs) laying around . Been shooting 38 SWCs lately faster than I can replenish, so. Traded up!

Besides. The 45 meplat is probably bigger than the 38 cartridge! 🤣 Dayum:

full

Gun is a very pretty Ruger Blackhawk Bisley Convertible 45 Colt with spare 45 ACP cylinder. I used to shoot this a lot more at an outdoor range. Love shooting it from a rest at 50 yards, a true hunting handgun - a "rifle-pistol" 👍.

full

Though a bit unused to the weight, this pistol absorbed recoil to the greatest extent. Just a push. These handloads are 255 grain SWCs over maybe 7, 7.5 grains of Unique? 🤔 I don't remember. They're going to get reloaded with TrailBoss. Anyways.

full

Burned through a very fun hundred rounds - at replacement cost, $45/box! 😯 But at least they had them. 😉 Ah, cost me a hundred primers and a handful of powder. Lead I get free. 45 Colt cases can be reloaded infinitely, I believe. (hyperbole, but many x many loadings).

full

Considering I haven't shot it in a couple, pretty pleased. And it's a snap to clean big bores, already done.

There is a flaw with this run of 5.5" convertibles. Ruger made the cylinder mouths too small, like 450. 🤔 Had mine bored out to 452. Bore is 451. Slugs are 452.

full

Any Blackhawk fans? Wish I had one in 327. 🤔 And 357.

AA

That is a beautiful Blackhawk. And look at the size of those holes in the target! When my father passed, his firearms which were only six of them, were divided and passed on to me and 3 of my brothers. My mother gave my two older brothers a couple a piece and me and my youngest brother just got one each. I got his Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley in .44 magnum.

I have had it 20 years since his passing and use to shoot it with my brothers quite a bit along with his other guns when I was young. Haven't shot it since his passing though. I don't know why I haven't, it's just been sitting in the safe undisturbed.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
That is a beautiful Blackhawk. And look at the size of those holes in the target! When my father passed, his firearms which were only six of them, were divided and passed on to me and 3 of my brothers. My mother gave my two older brothers a couple a piece and me and my youngest brother just got one each. I got his Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley in .44 magnum.

I have had it 20 years since his passing and use to shoot it with my brothers quite a bit along with his other guns when I was young. Haven't shot it since his passing though. I don't know why I haven't, it's just been sitting in the safe undisturbed.

The original Colt Bisley and some of its clones today are awkward looking, IMO. I know the grip is a scientific design improvement on the Colt plow handle, but. I just don't like it.

The Ruger Bisley just nails it - it's neither plow nor true Bisley, kind of in between. But I was admiring @simon1 s Western classics, which the Bisley really isn't! 🤣

SWC boolits rip nice target paper holes by design, it's the step edge, courtesy of Elmer Keith. 45 Colt specs (in black powder) were designed to pass through a horse, so you might as well do it with maximum energy transfer. I like SWCs so much I cast them in 38 also.

Single action pistols are just integral to American/Western history... Think every shooter should have one. 🤔 It is a deliberate form of shooting, and the shots count.

What's the barrel length on your Super BH?

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
If mine looked like yours I would prolly shoot it more!!

Thanks. That was somebody's special run... Lipsey's? Dunno. Had to have it. The grips I'll never change, black-silver chatoyance going on. I even ordered similar for my 357 for a pair.

AA

Top Bottom