What's new

Tennis anyone?

I'd like to play more tennis this year as well. Not only play but improve without injuries. Getting back into it, I've been feeling it in my right hand for some reason. A little bit on the elbow as well so I'll be aiming for more fluid motions instead of rapid hard hitting shots.

I'd like to play more tennis this year as well. Not only play but improve without injuries. Getting back into it, I've been feeling it in my right hand for some reason. A little bit on the elbow as well so I'll be aiming for more fluid motions instead of rapid hard hitting shots.

I’m in the same 🚣‍♂️
I’m coming back too.
Best to ease into it.
Nice loose and relaxed swings.
That’s why I play with Volkl.

Played 3 doubles sets today. I'm trying to get used to the new Volkl Vsense 10 racket. It still feels stiff and I'm blasting balls left and right so I really dialed back today. Hit more of Floaters but 90% landed deep inside the court. I'm getting more comfortable up at the net so I was able to put away a lot of the shots. Good session today.

Good for you.
It takes time to dial in a new racquet.
I like to set up targets with a ball machine including the ball machine.
Try and hit the ball machine but the ball ha to bounce once. Then aim for a target. (Repeat)
A good drill and a great way to test a new racquet. The Head Rep taught me that one.

Played late in the day Friday.
36 degrees and a bit windy.
Just a hit around session my neighbor is recovering from a pectoral muscle injury. Working on my topspin forehand. Pleased with the progress and I need more practice.
Served well and crisp volleys felt good.
Next week is in the 50 hope to get a couple days in.

Played 3 doubles sets today. I'm trying to get used to the new Volkl Vsense 10 racket. It still feels stiff and I'm blasting balls left and right so I really dialed back today. Hit more of Floaters but 90% landed deep inside the court. I'm getting more comfortable up at the net so I was able to put away a lot of the shots. Good session today.
I received an email from Volkl and the VFeel 10 is updated and the release date is April 15th. Three more releases coming in July. I like their racquets and will keep you posted.
Ed

Played an hour and a half with my neighbor who is recovering from a Pectoral injury.
An easy hit around led to working in his lagged forehand.
He was really starting to crack it with loose relaxed swings.
This led to a cooperative five game mini set.
Easy serves to start the point but play out the point with no put aways.
What fun!
My backhand is way ahead of my forehand but still hit a few nice cross courts.
I need to get on the ball machine.
How are you hitting them?

Played an hour and a half with my neighbor who is recovering from a Pectoral injury.
An easy hit around led to working in his lagged forehand.
He was really starting to crack it with loose relaxed swings.
This led to a cooperative five game mini set.
Easy serves to start the point but play out the point with no put aways.
What fun!
My backhand is way ahead of my forehand but still hit a few nice cross courts.
I need to get on the ball machine.
How are you hitting them?
Sounds great. My one hander still struggles a bit but I'm continuing to practice it.

Played a three setter yesterday on a toasty day.. around 85 degrees?

My serves have been decent. Good pace and going for the corners and into the body. Couple double faults here and there but mostly in.

Forehands and backhands are all over the place. Half the time, they go in with good pace and the other half is bombing out. I tried playing with less intensity but it just doesn't feel right. I want to get used to the high intensity pace and keep the ball in the court.

Two wins out of 3, 7-5, 3-6, and 6-1. Very fun day and ended with some fried chicken and 805 beer.

Played a three setter yesterday on a toasty day.. around 85 degrees?

My serves have been decent. Good pace and going for the corners and into the body. Couple double faults here and there but mostly in.

Forehands and backhands are all over the place. Half the time, they go in with good pace and the other half is bombing out. I tried playing with less intensity but it just doesn't feel right. I want to get used to the high intensity pace and keep the ball in the court.

Two wins out of 3, 7-5, 3-6, and 6-1. Very fun day and ended with some fried chicken and 805 beer.
That’s my experience too.
Serving well and ground strokes need work. I’m stepping around my forehand to hit backhands.
My new topspin forehand is a work in progress. I regress to hitting a flatter stroke. I also get caught in between and hit the screwball forehand.
I’m glad it’s early in the season.

Played 2 double sets today with the crew.

Started off shakey and lost 4-6.

Second set started off and went to 1-4 real quick. Made some mental changes and kept up the aggression. We won 7-5 and I was pretty stoked after that.

Before the sets, I was rallying with a partner and man, were we going at it. Decent pace rallies for 9-10 hits. The game starts and I'm just blasting balls left and right. I had to slow down and pull back the pace on my shots and it worked towards the end of the second set.

I definitely want to keep up the intensity but it's not working out at the moment. My plan is to keep that intensity up at the net (which I'm comfortable at) but pull back on the groundstrokes a bit.

Yes!
Way to go!
You’re on the right track.
That’s how Rod Laver did it.
“No one was more dangerous when they were behind.” said; John Newcombe.

Played in a small local tournament yesterday. 8 people and played doubles rotating around. Played 3 sets upto 5 with one AD and 3 regular sets. What a day.

My partner was a college player 12 years ago so I had an easier time than others. He had a bomb serve with fast pace in groundstrokes. He did double fault here and there but we managed to win the first 4 sets.

I got a Donnay Pro one Limited edition racket last year and played with it. It was strung with a Gamma synthetic and it was so stiff and had no feel. I thought the racket was the issue but it turned out the string was. I restrung it yesterday with Poly on main and Syn Gut on the Cross. I felt it pop and felt nice throughout the matches. Strung at 52lb, it definitely popped more with a lot of power. Now I got two Donnay rackets to work with and that should be enough for several years.

Sounds like a good day!
Donnay makes a good frame.
What kind of strings did you string with?
I like 52 to 54 lbs. in my Volkl.
I have some Tour Bite 17 and waiting to get through out arctic blast to string it.
I'm going to experiment in the 46 to 48 pound range.
I haven't played since January 17th due to wind and cold.
Practicing with shadow strokes indoors and weightlifting.
Last summer I was 4-1 playing left handed so, I'm practicing lefty groundstrokes.
I definitely want to get back on the ball machine.
Spring will come.
Flatiron Freddy says six more weeks of winter.

1613070331609.png

Sounds like a good day!
Donnay makes a good frame.
What kind of strings did you string with?
I like 52 to 54 lbs. in my Volkl.
I have some Tour Bite 17 and waiting to get through out arctic blast to string it.
I'm going to experiment in the 46 to 48 pound range.
I haven't played since January 17th due to wind and cold.
Practicing with shadow strokes indoors and weightlifting.
Last summer I was 4-1 playing left handed so, I'm practicing lefty groundstrokes.
I definitely want to get back on the ball machine.
Spring will come.
Flatiron Freddy says six more weeks of winter.

View attachment 1221486
I'm stringing Isospeed Control 16 (Monofilament poly) on main and Gosen OG Sheep synthetic 16 on Cross. I've been using it for several years and I'm enjoying it.

I tried full bed of synthetic and full bed of poly and I hated it. Felt either too soft or dead.

I'm thinking of picking up some Kirchsbaum Co-poly strings to replace the Poly. I've also got some Tourna Big hitter blue and Gosen polylon on the way to try.

Good setup.
I like Kirschbaum, it's firm and holds tension better than many.
It should play well in your hybrid setup.
A tip from the Volkl Rep: String poly slowly, let it stabilize before clamping.
Also, he recommends tensions below 50 lbs.
I prefer higher tensions because I like to serve and volley.
He says most of the tour players he deals with are in the 45 to 48 range with some as low as 36.
I'm going to try this in a few weeks.

Ed

No tennis today.
Zero degrees and a trace of snow.
A good bowl of chili 🌶 will sooth the soul.
Mmmm bowl of chili in a chilly winter sounds amazing.

I was watching the Australian Open yesterday and there were some great matches.

A lot of injuries but players still pulled through.

Zverev just blastings serves left and right. Thiem made it through the rough crowd. They were cheering when Thiem missed his first serve. Very disrespectful but he kept his calm and finished the race.

Top Bottom