What's new

Switching Hands?

Do any of you shave the right side of your face with your right hand and the left side with your left hand? I ask not just out of curiousity, but because I've noticed that I generally get a closer shave on my right side. This became quite apparent when I started doing side by side comparisons between two razors. More often than not, the razor used on my right side produced a closer shave. When the results were close, switching sides would result in the opposite result. The past two days, for example, I compared my Fatip Open Comb Slant (FOCS) to my Yaqi Double Open Comb Slant. Both days the right side won. When I use either one for an entire shave, they seem to produce very comparable results. So if my assumption is correct I need to either change my technique on my left side or else learn to use my left hand. Does anyone do that? If so, did you start doing it for the same reason I'm considering it, or are you just ambidextrous?

Do any of you shave the right side of your face with your right hand and the left side with your left hand? I ask not just out of curiousity, but because I've noticed that I generally get a closer shave on my right side. This became quite apparent when I started doing side by side comparisons between two razors. More often than not, the razor used on my right side produced a closer shave. When the results were close, switching sides would result in the opposite result. The past two days, for example, I compared my Fatip Open Comb Slant (FOCS) to my Yaqi Double Open Comb Slant. Both days the right side won. When I use either one for an entire shave, they seem to produce very comparable results. So if my assumption is correct I need to either change my technique on my left side or else learn to use my left hand. Does anyone do that? If so, did you start doing it for the same reason I'm considering it, or are you just ambidextrous?
I shave exclusively right handed. I have noticed that I require no cleanup on the left side and nearly always require touch up on the right. I have no clue why.

I don’t shave left handed because I don’t trust it.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I'm functionally ambidextrous so yeah. Right side with right hand; left side with left hand with safety razors. With barber razors, depending on what angle I need and whether skin needs stretching I'll often hold the razor with the left while shaving the right side and vice versa.

O.H.

I use a Feather AC once a week and have been teaching myself to use both hands with that as I discovered early on that I really struggle to do the left side of my face and neck right handed.
With DE I can use my right hand both sides and get good results but I am toying with the idea of trying to teach myself to use left hand also.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I switch hands when switching sides of my face and neck. Still right-to-right/left-to-left and not the cool way @Chimensch does in his shaving video.

I shave with AC shavettes and always switch hands with those.

On the rare occasion that I shave with a DE or an SE, I do not. I use my dominant hand only.

Don't ask me why.

Reactions: bjm

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Always shave with my right hand as I am right hand at everything. I tried to use my left hand a few times just to see if I could do it and I couldn’t. I would really struggle if I tried using a straight razor.

I shave left handed for everything except the against the grain pass above my jawline on my right side. Not sure why I started doing this but I lack flexibility in my shoulders and think I struggled to reach all the way up to my ear. I notice no difference in how smooth each side is.

I generally use my right hand for shaving. This is more out of habit than necessity as I have, on occasion, switched to my left hand. So I can understand the concept of ‘switching’ during each shave.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Due to a slight tremor I developed in my right hand I was forced to develop acuity with my left. I’ve shaved my face entirely with my left with a SR.....that was difficult. I mosrly do 50-50 when SR shaving now.

Shave with both, depending on the side of the face. My neck whiskers grow to the side, not N-S, so WTG is a bit awkward on the wrist.

But yes, I do notice my left side is smoother when I shave it with my right hand. Weird.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I switch hands. I carve wood (think European style with gouges and chisels), that requires switching hands if you are going to be any good or do it in a reasonable amount of time as your work is typically clamped down and to reposition it so that you could always used your dominant hand would be time consuming and frustrating. So you learn to be ambidextrous. I see shaving as the same.

I especially think that would be the case for the user of a straight razor.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I shave exclusively right handed. I have noticed that I require no cleanup on the left side and nearly always require touch up on the right. I have no clue why.

I don’t shave left handed because I don’t trust it.
I experience the same. I chalk it up to getting a better angle and more efficiency reaching across.

I only use my right hand. I also don’t trust my left hand. I do kind of struggle with my left side neck area. Generally my neck hairs grow from ears to chin so ATG on the left side is chin to ear with my right hand. It feels weird and maintaining the correct angle isn’t easy.

I am ambidextrous and use both hand for shaving, so i dont have to cross my hand over my face but funny fact i use left hand for writing and right hand when using an hammer.

I only use my dominant hand when shaving with DE razors, but both hands when using my Feather AC razors (both folding and non-folding).

I switch hands, and although my dominant hand performs better at maintaining the angle and pressure, but the reach is simple better with my left han.

The switching is especially useful when tackling the ATG pass under left side jawline (ear to chin growth for both sides, and the completely opposite just a finger's width below).

Top Bottom