What's new

How many shaves can you get from a GEM blade?

One time I pushed it through the majority of my gem razors, everything from my mildest, a Featherweight, to a 1924 as I didn't have a mmoc at the time. I made it 32 shaves, generally I toss them around 10 shaves, as I have favorite gem razors that are on the milder end.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I use the Gem Personna SS PTFE blade, when I first started using them I would get 8-12 shaves on the first 10 blades so I average them and try not to go past 10 shaves almost on a full face shave and give them a toss or a toss if they are tuggy below 10 and that is rare for myself, they are just that predictable. I have got 14 shaves out of one blade, very sharp blade with great longevity that smooths out nicely & predictable. I like to start out with a new blade in a milder Gem and then go to the mid range razors work well for myself.

I received some 10 GEM Stainless blades that were given together with GEM Razor Pif. I am not sure if it's the Gem Personna SS PTFE blade. I am unable to get the 1st blade past 7 shaves. However, the 2nd blade I am currently using now is on the 11th use and still ok during the last shave on Monday. It is true that this blade becomes smoother and comfortable after the 4th shaves.

I have been considering & flip-flopping whether to get the desired numbers of Gem Personna SS PTFE blade at Connaught.

I have meant to ask for a while now to more experienced members here...is there any difference between a GEM Stainless and a Gem Personna SS PTFE blade?

When I've used a Gem as a daily driver, I toss the blade after a week. It's just easier for me to remember to switch on the weekend. I'm sure the blades could last for about ten shaves. PTFE is just an acronym for teflon, and the blades I'm mainly using are the 62-0178 stock number. I think these are the same blades as Walgreens, but in bulk packaging.

Gem-Blades-003_1024x1024.jpg

When I've used a Gem as a daily driver, I toss the blade after a week. It's just easier for me to remember to switch on the weekend. I'm sure the blades could last for about ten shaves. PTFE is just an acronym for teflon, and the blades I'm mainly using are the 62-0178 stock number. I think these are the same blades as Walgreens, but in bulk packaging.
View attachment 1220529

If I go over 7 shaves it starts to tug a bit. I could push it to 10 if I really wanted to but it's just not as smooth.

View attachment 1220529
I use the same blades that I picked up from Amazon. I generally use them for around 4-5 head and face shaves.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
It depends how tough your whiskers are, and how many passes you do.

I have coarse whiskers. I get 7 three-pass shaves with a DE razor, 5 three-pass shaves with a SE razor, and 10 three-pass shaves with an injector razor.

YMMV
You got my curiosity, You recieved more shaves with a DE blade than Gem Personna SS PTFE SE blade, were you using carbon Gem blades that would make me understand you better ? I get the opposite 6 DE average with the Gem Coated stainless 10 average. I can crank out 10 good shaves with a Kai SS DE blade but the rest of my DE blades not much past 6 comfortable.
FHS-10 blade SE feather blade are not good for longevity . But a Gem Personna SS PTFE modified in my Oneblade core I can crank out 10 easy comfortable shaves. Curious!

Daily shaves, around 12-15 max. Pretty good. I get the same number of shaves from a "Chick" SE blade, few more from a AC Feather or Kai blade.

You got my curiosity, You recieved more shaves with a DE blade than Gem Personna SS PTFE SE blade, were you using carbon Gem blades that would make me understand you better ? I get the opposite 6 DE average with the Gem Coated stainless 10 average. I can crank out 10 good shaves with a Kai SS DE blade but the rest of my DE blades not much past 6 comfortable.
FHS-10 blade SE feather blade are not good for longevity . But a Gem Personna SS PTFE modified in my Oneblade core I can crank out 10 easy comfortable shaves. Curious!
My box of 100 Gem SE blades says, "Stainless Steel Coated." That's all I know. But this I do know: YMMV

Seeing we got a little off topic, I will add that the blade I can get the most shaves from is an Artist Club type blade. I can get 18 comfortable shaves from one. I can only get 7 from a GEM. They are the worst. For me anyway.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Head shaves only.

I get 5, usually, unless I'm using the Blackland Sabre and get 6. But in order to get 6 with the Sabre, I have to start with the Sabre. Starting with another Gem razor I'll get 5 before it just feels like shaving with sandpaper.

O.H.

Using my GEM Micromatic (closed comb), I'm up to 7 shaves so far with a GEM stainless steel blade. Two passes on a coarse beard. Since I'm still getting a good shave, I'll keep using the blade until it starts to tug. After that, I'll load a new blade in my open comb Micromatic and see if the blade lasts as long.

Top Bottom