What's new

Frag Acquisitions

I have acquired five bottles of different LVs in the past five months or so. I have always liked the house, in particular the vetiver, for which I have a fairly large decant of somewhere. It is unlike me to buy whole bottles of anything. The recent bottles I got were Patchouli, Piper Nigrum, Musk, AdC, and Uomo, the latter three bought blind, which is uncharacteristic of me in the extreme. I really like each of them. PN used to get a lot of love around here. The Musk is really a nice dark rose. The others are excellent versions of what they are named. I so not get the criticism LV sometimes gets as being amateurish. To me it is more that LV scents are strong and original. Very Italian to me, and to me that is a wonderful thing.
Hi The Knize,

Wow! Five bottles of LV (one per month). Yes indeed K, LV is a House I very much enjoy and was turned onto (early on) from, "in the know" Basenote members (shortly after I became a member in 2003). Truthfully, I've never heard LV being referred to as "amateurish". That's just crazy! I agree with your regarding your comments that LV scents are (mostly) strong and original (oooh, and very Italian). I've owned at one time (at least) three of the LV's you listed : PN, Musk, Patchouoli. If memories serves, I've also owned Vetiver and ? Oooh yes, DILUMN! I HIGHLY recommend you consider "Dilumn". Dilumn would be especially nice to wear for Summer. The K, Enjoy your most excellent collection!

Seems the fever to acquire more fragrances is back...
View attachment 1220929

All cheapies. The Hollister Wave 2 and Perry Ellis Portfolio Red are just different enough not to be too redundant. Both fresh aromatics, sweet and fruity, similar to Invictus Aqua or Montblanc Legend Spirit.

The Oud Mosaic from Banana Republic is the shocker. Quality juice. A long lasting, dirty rose oud. Appropriate for these times of social distancing. Check your local rack stores.

My knowledge in fragrances is pretty minimal, so a lot of my decision making is influenced by YouTube reviewers.
That Banana Republic one, in particular, has been mentioned quite a few times with the same tone of surprise, due to its solid performance and scent, for a cheapie.

I hoarded fragrances, now I am stuck with a quantity of EdTs and the sort for the rest of my life and beyond. I am using them as room fragrances and presents, LOL.

My suggestion:

1. Try before buying, several times, a full wear > buy decants
2. Define what you like
3. Then limit your wardrobe - use a criteria: weather, moment of the day, scent families, nose, house, etc.
4. Do not buy the hype.
5. Watch out popular criteria - sillage and longevity nor synthetics used are indicators of quality. Keep an independent mind.

If bored, sell. Use Basenotes or Fragrantica's marketplace for that.

Have fun, and smell nice!

Sheeesh! :facep: clearly I missed this reply at the time of posting.
Thanks for the great info.
At first, I really didn't like the 'try before you buy' approach, because even though it's only been less than a year for me, samples add up......QUICKLY!

However, I've received a few samples that were bundled, along with some random options. The quality and scents of the unknown ones has been amazing; which quickly proved that sampling is the way to go. 😊

Decants or partials are also another great suggestion.

Much appreciated.

Nice buy Doug. Man, I wish I had purchased ABSOLUTE (as opposed to INTENSE). I understand ABSOLUTE is not quite as sweet as INTENSE. If I'm not mistaken, ABSOLUTE is created by the same Nose who made Lalique Encre Noire. The House of Lalique if (imho) perhaps THE best "Niche" quality type Fragrance for a (often on sale) "Designer" cost. I own about six or seven bottles of Lalique Encre Noire (and the Flankers) which I bought at "close out" prices. I know from experience (I'm a Basenotes member since 2003) how this story goes. I.E. get while the gettings good. At twenty five dollars (or less I paid) per bottle, it's a "no Brainer" for me to now stock up on the Lalique Encre Noire Fragrances. Oooh, I also ordered Lalique "LION" last night! Other Lalique Fragrances to follow. As much as I LOVE my "Niche" (read expensive) Fragrances, I often rather own six to eight bottles of (highly researched) quality "Designer" Fragrances when on sale/sold at close out prices. Of late, I purchased a few Summer type Fragrances : Nautica Voyage and Nautica Blue (both NIB) for twenty five dollars for TWO (100 ml) bottles. I also found a nice NIB bottle of E. Zegna 100ml bottle of UOMO for $16.99. In fact, wearing it tonight for the first time and I really LIKE it! Uomo is going to be a GREAT Summer Fragrance. Zegna Uomo is a HIGHLY under rated Fragrance. Oooh, I also have a 1.7 oz. bottle of Dior "Fahrenheit" on it's way to me! Stop me, I'm out of control (again!)

SixCats!

Hey @SixCats! You've put in some serious work with the recent replies. I can feel the enthusiasm you have towards fragrances.

I tried Encre Noir, but unfortunately, it wasn't for me.....AT ALL! I ended up PIF'ing it to someone who loves Vetiver, and ended up loving EN; So, that's a win for me, as we've developed a sort of 'you scratch my back, I scratch yours' relationship.
On the other hand, I have been feverishly scouring the web for a bottle of Ombre Noir, which seems to be very hard to get, at the moment. I'm on the subscription waitlist on one site, so hopefully, they restock soon. It's been a good 4 months so far.

Nautica Voyage was another one that was swiftly moved on, but it's a cheapie, and always in stock at a few local drug stores here in Canada. I think I bought it for around the 20-25 CAD mark.

HOLY $#!t Peter! ANUBIS! Wow! Congrats! I've haven't yet tried ANUBIS however, I know of it's rep!
I have recently (again) testing/sampling Milano Montecristo, Etat Libera d' Orange Marquis de Sade, Diptyque Oud Palao, Santa Maria Novella Peau d'Espagne. All excellent Fragrances however (for the win) Rania J. Oud Assam if I were to chose among those I just listed. That being said, I think I'm going to go a completely different direction and order a bottle of Santa Maria Novella "Marescialla" as it's like nothing else! SMN is my favorite house with "Acqua de Cuba and Nostalgia" being my favorites from SMN. My other top favorite is L'Artisan DZING! Man, soooo many great Colognes to chose from these days! Enjoy ANUBIS!

SixCats!

Anubis sounds like something I'd really enjoy. That warm, Egyptian vibe really speaks to me.

Seems the fever to acquire more fragrances is back...

The Oud Mosaic from Banana Republic is the shocker. Quality juice. A long lasting, dirty rose oud. Appropriate for these times of social distancing. Check your local rack stores.
If you haven't tried BR's Vintage Green, you should check it out. I almost pulled the trigger on Oud Mosaic as I agree with you, but SWMBO said NO.

Hey @SixCats! You've put in some serious work with the recent replies. I can feel the enthusiasm you have towards fragrances.

I tried Encre Noir, but unfortunately, it wasn't for me.....AT ALL! I ended up PIF'ing it to someone who loves Vetiver, and ended up loving EN; So, that's a win for me, as we've developed a sort of 'you scratch my back, I scratch yours' relationship.
On the other hand, I have been feverishly scouring the web for a bottle of Ombre Noir, which seems to be very hard to get, at the moment. I'm on the subscription waitlist on one site, so hopefully, they restock soon. It's been a good 4 months so far.

Nautica Voyage was another one that was swiftly moved on, but it's a cheapie, and always in stock at a few local drug stores here in Canada. I think I bought it for around the 20-25 CAD mark.

Anubis sounds like something I'd really enjoy. That warm, Egyptian vibe really speaks to me.
Hi Pot,

Sorry to hear Encre Noire wasn't for you. EN is a rather acquired taste. Nice of you to PIF and also develop a new relationship.
Yea, Omber Noir appears to be in high demand. Omber Noire being (if I understand correctly) an Oriental is I'm thinking going to be too sweeet for my taste. I'll have to investigate/research more on Omber Noire. I do have Lalique LION (Homme) on it's way to me very soon! I look forward to trying this Lalique. I recently picked up two bottles of Nautica (Voyage and Blue). I realize that both are "budget" Fragrances however, considering their "budget" prices for the quality of Fragrance, these two will be a fine addition to my collection as a Summer Fragrance (Oooh, I paid A total of $25.00 for BOTH 3.4oz. bottles). Aqua type fragrances are sooooo out of the norm for me/my collection. However, it would be a waste of money for me to purchase a "pricey" Summer Fragrance as I've little doubt most ever Summer Fragrance will last (if I'm lucky) but a couple of hours at most (and that's stretching it). I also purchased a bottle of E. Zegna Uomo for a mere $16.99 for a NIB 3.4 oz. bottle. I tried last night for the first time and I REALLY like it! It too will be a most excellent (budget) Fragrance for Summer. Surprisingly, Uomo (at least in the home) has an OUTSTANDING long lasting time (much to my surprise). Anubis, ugggh. VERY expensive! I however agree with you Pot about enjoying that "Middle Eastern" vibe.

Regards,
SixCats!

If you haven't tried BR's Vintage Green, you should check it out. I almost pulled the trigger on Oud Mosaic as I agree with you, but SWMBO said NO.

If I see it, I'll likely nab it. I passed on Black Platinum for leaning too much to the feminine, and on Neroli Woods after reading that it doesn't last that long.

Hi Pot,

Sorry to hear Encre Noire wasn't for you. EN is a rather acquired taste. Nice of you to PIF and also develop a new relationship.
Yea, Omber Noir appears to be in high demand. Omber Noire being (if I understand correctly) an Oriental is I'm thinking going to be too sweeet for my taste. I'll have to investigate/research more on Omber Noire. I do have Lalique LION (Homme) on it's way to me very soon! I look forward to trying this Lalique. I recently picked up two bottles of Nautica (Voyage and Blue). I realize that both are "budget" Fragrances however, considering their "budget" prices for the quality of Fragrance, these two will be a fine addition to my collection as a Summer Fragrance (Oooh, I paid A total of $25.00 for BOTH 3.4oz. bottles). Aqua type fragrances are sooooo out of the norm for me/my collection. However, it would be a waste of money for me to purchase a "pricey" Summer Fragrance as I've little doubt most ever Summer Fragrance will last (if I'm lucky) but a couple of hours at most (and that's stretching it). I also purchased a bottle of E. Zegna Uomo for a mere $16.99 for a NIB 3.4 oz. bottle. I tried last night for the first time and I REALLY like it! It too will be a most excellent (budget) Fragrance for Summer. Surprisingly, Uomo (at least in the home) has an OUTSTANDING long lasting time (much to my surprise). Anubis, ugggh. VERY expensive! I however agree with you Pot about enjoying that "Middle Eastern" vibe.

Regards,
SixCats!
Fully agree with the summer frags. I absolutely love Pacific Rock Moss, but for the performance, which is lacking....at best, the price tag is way too high. Instead I'll be grabbing a low cost dupe alternative. I just need to find one that's available in Canada.

All of that said, regarding performance of summer frags, I have been getting some decent longevity from John Varvatos: Artisan Pure. Which is a great one in my books.

Wanted it. Got it. But having finally smelled it, not sure when I would wear it:
54E9FA3F-CCE6-47E4-A926-AEEDB0046AC8.jpeg

I thought Oud Mosaic was a "Wow" fragrance. Toy Boy is Wow times 2.

I was surprised to see it in a rack store. I was there to get a second bottle of Mont Blanc Individuel having heard (but not verified) that it was discontinued. And saw this. Grabbed it without hesitation. Without even smelling it before. Just based on reputation.

Last edited:
For a few months, my find of the year: Michael Kors Extreme Speed.
385501B9-2606-4FB9-BBAA-1D7914193AC6.jpeg

Straight up cedar when sprayed in the air or on a test strip. But it takes on a fuller, softer, green herbaceous wood scent on my skin. A real gem and one of the best bargains in the rack stores.

Picked these up today at a local Burlington. Both from Banana Republic @$19.99 apiece. NO BRAINERS. Neroli Woods is classified as a unisex fragrance but, I think it tends to lean more towards the masculine side with a nice neroli, woods, amber, clean green with florals and a touch of cedar & amber. Love this one as it is perfect for 3 season wear and I was running low on my first bottle. Banana Republic M eau de parfum does not veer far from the original eau de toilette version. But, it has a denser and juicier hit from the top with the citrus, plum & fig notes and actually has some legs in duration & sillage. M edp is a better fragrance than M edt, no question. M edp also gives you a nice sandalwood, musk, light cedar with a rosemary herbaceous twist that is awesome for all year round wear. Not the best performers nor the most natural smelling fragrances but, for under $20 greenbacks? Seriously? Just spray a bit more and enjoy.....

You can NEVER go wrong smelling clean, fresh with a lightly sweet woodsy musk tinge......

B68023B5-9630-4236-BEE8-4CD58F852C47.jpeg

08CC651B-8584-4BA1-8F4D-D631C44A3053.jpeg

D7F7A486-FB5F-4026-B8E7-ADFCD59B11D7.jpeg

E53D4E2C-DB08-4A2F-B774-0E4DB7D8AFA3.jpeg

Hi Gry,

Nice! That's a good number of "Decants" that'll keep you busy for some time! Pray tell, from where did you purchase all these (nicely packaged) "Decants" ?

SixCats!

Top Bottom