What's new

So you talked me into it

Lol right. Weekends being 2 days off in a row. As far as the rest, well, plumbing offers much of the same.

I'm doing it! I'm taking the plunge! I'm ghosting this pipe!

Right off the bat, first third of it, I don't love it. No real tobacco flavor yet. Plenty floral tastes. I can see why people say soapy, it's that touch of creamy with a generous helping of grandma purse. But really, not in a bad way. It's different. So very different.

It's behaving otherwise. Could have used a bit more drying time, but once it caught its burning nicely. Broken flake isn't my favorite cut, but this is pretty easy to work with.

I think time will tell. This was just one sample of 2 ounces that have been jarred up for longterm cellaring. Overall I'm glad I'm trying it. And I do plan on giving it a fair chance. This was just a little taste. Not too bad, but we'll definitely take some getting used to.

I forgot I had a little bit of PS Cube Cut left. It was in a jar hiding in the back of the shelf. Man, this stuff is good. Tastes just like a Sutliff codger blend. If you like that and it's available to you, I'd recommend it. Both for taste and the uniqueness of the cut.

I'm going to be smoking a lot today. I have dental surgery first thing tomorrow morning. I don't know how long it'll be until I can or even want to smoke a pipe. So I'm hoping to overindulge today to make up for it. It's a beautiful day where it's snowy but in the upper 30s, very comfortable and pretty. Perfect for enjoying a pipe on a front porch.

And tonight I have to shave my beard. It's been 18 years since I last shaved my lip or chin. I'm going to look so young, and weird. My face will be two different colors. My kids have never seen me without some kind of facial hair. Well, it'll be interesting to say the least.

16127354041716592580502078263688.jpg
Without!

Mrs. Rookie cannot stand it when I'm clean shaven! It's bad enough that I am 4 years younger then her, but without the beard I look it. And that I believe is the unforgivable sin.

I got smart this time. When my current oldest child was just a little baby, I messed up trimming and the beard came off. She didn't recognize me and spent the next 2 hours crying until Mrs. Rookie came home. This time I gave all the kids a turn with the trimmer. That way they knew it coming and it wasn't that big a shock. Now my coworkers on the other hand...

So it occurred to me I didn't really say what this was. I got dental implants in. Years and years of varying abuse was taken care of in one long day. I'm sore and swollen now, but soon that'll be done with and I'll be back better than normal! And for a little while, I'll get back into the practice of shaving my upper lip and chin along with the tops of my cheeks and neck.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Mrs. Rookie cannot stand it when I'm clean shaven! It's bad enough that I am 4 years younger then her, but without the beard I look it. And that I believe is the unforgivable sin.

I got smart this time. When my current oldest child was just a little baby, I messed up trimming and the beard came off. She didn't recognize me and spent the next 2 hours crying until Mrs. Rookie came home. This time I gave all the kids a turn with the trimmer. That way they knew it coming and it wasn't that big a shock. Now my coworkers on the other hand...

So it occurred to me I didn't really say what this was. I got dental implants in. Years and years of varying abuse was taken care of in one long day. I'm sore and swollen now, but soon that'll be done with and I'll be back better than normal! And for a little while, I'll get back into the practice of shaving my upper lip and chin along with the tops of my cheeks and neck.
Need a straight razor?

I have a shavette, which got some action Sunday. It turns out I need much more practice using it on my formerly bearded areas though.

It made short work of that beard, that's for sure!

I tried to smoke a pipe this afternoon. Field and Stream Match. It.. didn't work. My whole face is swollen and still a little numb. I should be back close to normal in the next few days. At least the tobacco smells wonderful in the pipe! Maybe I'll try it again later in a cob with a filter.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

I tried to smoke a pipe this afternoon. Field and Stream Match. It.. didn't work. My whole face is swollen and still a little numb. I should be back close to normal in the next few days. At least the tobacco smells wonderful in the pipe! Maybe I'll try it again later in a cob with a filter.
Dental surgery is a pain literally - been there, done that. In the end, you will be pleased to have done it and now it is over.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

If you’re not using them already, some softy rubber pipe bits can be a real lifesaver for those with dental issues. My aging teeth appreciates them, especially when clenching the harder acrylic stems.

Best of luck on your recovery.

Thanks everyone! I woke up and I'm already feeling better. I think maybe this afternoon I'll be ready to try again, this time with a filtered cob. Coffee just doesn't taste the same without a very lightly topped burley. Soon enough. I'm also eyeing those apples with visions of things to come!

I'm pretty happy about one thing, though. This convalescence has give time to window shop online. And I found I don't really want anything pipe related I don't have already. Oh, sure I'd still like a good calabash or vintage Dunhill. There's still blends that pique my curiosity. But nothing I had to talk myself out of. Partly those price tags on the Dunhills do much to convince my better angels (the one I'm married to in particular) it belongs on the "One Day" list.

Instead, there a tub of Proraso green and matching boar brush in my Amazon cart. I'm curious to see what the fuss is about. And I've heard good things about boar brushes. But that's for another sub.

Ok, so far I'm enjoying this pipe full of a mix of Five Brothers and a frankenblend of CH Match, 1Q, a few generous pinches of H&H and Amphora Original. It's going... better than last time.

First, I'm drawing better. With so much less swelling, I'm much more able to comfortably enjoy this. My sinuses are open enough to get enough flavor to be worth doing. And the blend is tasty enough, with enough punch after dinner.

But it's like driving a stick shift with a busted right arm (left arm for you, Al). Whenever I try to clench for a second, like to light it, the way the stem rattles against the new chompers was $%&*#@!!! So I'm holding this deeply bent bulldog. Of course, being a designed jaw hanger, cannot be put down. Our resident Wanderer is getting wiser by the day. And really, the rest is just me relearning to do this.

So that's what's going on here. I hope things are going as well for you.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Ok, so far I'm enjoying this pipe full of a mix of Five Brothers and a frankenblend of CH Match, 1Q, a few generous pinches of H&H and Amphora Original. It's going... better than last time.

First, I'm drawing better. With so much less swelling, I'm much more able to comfortably enjoy this. My sinuses are open enough to get enough flavor to be worth doing. And the blend is tasty enough, with enough punch after dinner.

But it's like driving a stick shift with a busted right arm (left arm for you, Al). Whenever I try to clench for a second, like to light it, the way the stem rattles against the new chompers was $%&*#@!!! So I'm holding this deeply bent bulldog. Of course, being a designed jaw hanger, cannot be put down. Our resident Wanderer is getting wiser by the day. And really, the rest is just me relearning to do this.

So that's what's going on here. I hope things are going as well for you.
You faced adversity, manned up and well deserve a good smoke. Good on ya’.

Hasn't been much going on in my world lately since the new chompers. The weather hasn't been conducive for long front porch smoking. And work lately has been tiring me out. Combine that with the stems feeling weird now, I haven't had much find tobacco lately. I have a couple packs of soft bites coming which I'm hoping will help.

I miss it though.

Ok, it's a nice day today, finally! I'm still dead tired after work, but I'm feeling well enough for an Old Dominion with a flake of Escudo. It's a good way to relax at the end of the day when the weather lets you.

The reed stem feels much better than acrylic. These new teeth have changed the way I smoke. The stems feel different when I try to clench. I have some soft bits in my Amazon cart waiting for the next order, hopefully that'll help. And if not, nothing wrong with holding a pipe either. If I'm smoking a pipe and something needs two hands, it can wait.

In not smoking as much this winter, I found I missed it incredibly with this pipe. It reminded me why I enjoy it so. The whole relaxing nature of it. The flavors and aromas. The making myself sit down and be still for 45 minutes. I miss it.

Maybe it's time to set up a little smoking area in the garage. Stop letting the extreme weather be what keeps me from a mostly good thing. And yet another way to be closer to my motorcycle.

Top Bottom