What's new

Bottom Tier Blades

Personna Lab Blues are by far the worst blade I've ever used. I don't know why so many people stand by them. They are incredibly irritating. I get good shaves with other blades. I've tried Personna Labs in all my razors, and with good quality soaps and creams, and they always provide horrible shaves. Derby blades are way better.

I feel like if I broke a beer bottle and shaved with one of the sharp edges, that would give me a better shave than a Personna Lab. I think it's the coating. It cuts hair, it just takes a layer (or more) of skin along with it.

Last edited:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Personna Lab Blues are by far the worst blade I've ever used. I don't know why so many people stand by them. They are incredibly irritating. I get good shaves with other blades. I've tried Personna Labs in all my razors, and with good quality soaps and creams, and they always provide horrible shaves. Derby blades are way better.

I feel like if I broke a beer bottle and shaved with one of the sharp edges, that would give me a better shave than a Personna Lab. I think it's the coating. It cuts hair, it just takes a layer (or more) of skin along with it.
I’m with you on that. Doesn’t work for me at all. At the bottom of this list for me. Now there are some really cheap blades that I can’t use and tear me up. But out of the premium brand blades that I’ve tried, the Personna lab blues are as bad as it gets for me. And to make it worse, they are packed in boxes of 100, so when I go to make up my regular PIF baggies of blades for my wet shaving friends, I never grab for them, usually reaching for something in more manageable tucks of 5 or 10. But I think it’s time I give them one last shot, and if they still don’t work out, give them all away.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Mühle (both the most expensive and the worst longevity of any blade I've tried). On a positive note, I can achieve one exceptional shave with it.

I personally do not believe all "Labs" sold as "Labs" are "Labs." I have mentioned this before. I have some blue wrapped Personna USA blades that are just ok. The box was distributed through a beauty supply company. I have never bought Personna sold as Labs, but the ones I have are only ok, no better.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
When I determine a top tier or lower tier blade I use a standard blade (a known blade, Astra SP) and kind of see if its sharp & smooth or mild sharp and smooth or very sharp. I use a picture chart that has a few additions over the years, it is a general ball park rating but will give some others a view of what I have experienced. It's not scientific but it works for myself and others who are wanting to try something else. I like the sharp & smooth that have crossed also into the sharpest area seem to work well for myself.
Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (3).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
I don't consider ANY blade that I will use, to be "lower-tier." I've been doing this for a while, and if I use a blade more than once, it's because I consider it to be very good.

That said, there are some VERY INEXPENSIVE blades that I will use regularly. Which is the least costly varies, of course.

Treet Classic
ASCO's
SuperMax Plats

All deliver great shaves, all occasionally for sale for a song.

I feel the same way about Crystal's. I know people love them but its like I'm shaving with gravel.

I agree the ZAZA platinums were the worst blade ever.....in any razor any prep no way to use the and I tried just to see how bad they are!YCCH!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

ZAZA plats and stainless...the stainless almost made the bottom ..bottom lowest tier but alas those were a hair better than the Plats.What a terrible blade company and if I'm not mistaken one of the oldest blade companies in existence.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I read somewhere (I cant find the reference) that one of Gillette elf's learned that a shaver cant tell the difference between sharp blades. What they feel is tugging. This realization led to the development of special blade coatings. So when we say a blade is sharp what we are really saying is this blade doesn't tug.

The 4 worst blades i have tried so far is:
Treet platinum, Gilette silver blue, Gilette sharpedge, Ming-shi mp-036
And These are not my favourites either :
Derby Premium, Bluebird Platinum, Derby extra.can imagine using them again just to avoid cartridges anyway.

Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellows, Treet, Bolzano, Derby
The vintage Gillette Super Blue carbon blades are actually really sharp, but they fade quickly. only last 1 good shave.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Tiger blades are pretty much the worst of the worst IMO.

If you are talking about the Czech blades that are the same Tatra, I agree. I while back there was a huge buzz about Tiger and Tatra Czech blades being the next greatest thing. There were around $6 a 100 pack, so i bought one of each to try. For that price why not. Both were very bad for my face. Tried several shaves on each brand and could not get one good shave between them. Shame. Anyways, I have given away a bulk of them, and the recipients seem to like them.

If you are talking about the Czech blades that are the same Tatra, I agree. I while back there was a huge buzz about Tiger and Tatra Czech blades being the next greatest thing. There were around $6 a 100 pack, so i bought one of each to try. For that price why not. Both were very bad for my face. Tried several shaves on each brand and could not get one good shave between them. Shame. Anyways, I have given away a bulk of them, and the recipients seem to like them.

I really like the Tatras, but have not tried the Tigers.

The low tier blades I enjoy using and get good results from are Dorco ST-301, Lord Platinum, Bolzano, Silver Star, and Rapira Sweedish Super Steel. I have some others to try so my list could grow.

My top tier blades that I like and use are Med Preps, 7 O'clock Platinum, Astra SP, German Wilkinson Sword, GSB, Polsilver, Nacet, and PermaSharp.

Top Bottom