What's new

February 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in, and I'm pleased to inform that Mitchell's Wool Fat works for me.

First try with it, and it lathered beautifully, it needs some more fine tuning to excel at slickness like Tabac/ Arko, and it is achievable.

So, now the 4 pillars (according to me) of tried and tested soaps (Arko, Tabac, Mitchell's and an Italian soap Vitos Super Extra Coco) works for me and thankfully no irritation and smell aversion of any sort from any of them.
I like them all.

Now waiting for Stirling Soaps to arrive, with that done, I'll have gathered a good variety and variations in soap origins.

Ps : Mitchell's soap is in plastic container.

IMG_20210207_134219.jpg

Every time I see that mug, I get sad that I can’t throw the kids and wife in the car and spend a few waterlogged days drinking fishbowl margaritas at Great Wolf Lodge. We usually go to the Ohio location from Toronto, but I haven’t been able to cross the border in almost a year. 🙁
One of these days, hopefully things will get back to “normal” and we’ll be able to start doing those fun adventures again! Family is so important!
I commandeered that mug from my parents when I started wet shaving years ago. They had taken us when I was younger, always liked that mug! The memories from family trips are always special!

I'm in.

1) FoolishMortal
2) CzechCzar
3) SharpieB
4) Sinnbad11
5) B_R_A_D
6) Jmp63 - Annual
7) cryhavoc - Annual
8) ‘Bout Time
9) Doti B
10) henrickd - Annual
11) AZBronco
12) Roedeer
13) Timeclo
14) Sotiris_A
15) Abz88
16) hopper_64
17) woodwzrd
18) MaineYooper
19) FL shaver
20) Contact_vs_Feedback - Annual
21) Stuart Ganis
22) Lee93
23) Rhody
24) pdieten - Annual
25) Chef455
26) mattps1 - Annua
27) leverspro
28) wmadoty - Annual - One Blade in February
29) Tomo
30) 4and20blackbirds
31) Cino

Still in--which I find fairly easy to do if I just keep away from the BST!

Saturday shave

B0E1CFE5-D5EE-4DEA-B7FD-EB2547905ACE.jpeg

Prep: Curology The Cleanser
Soap: Deluxe Rockers
Brush: Ever-Ready F40 badger-cased boar
Razor: iKon X3 slant on bulldog handle, #11
Blade: Gillette Nacet, #3 and binned
Post: Alum -> hyaluronic acid-> Pinaud Clubman Classic Vanilla

First time with the Deluxe Rockers and I had a fantastic shave–slick, thick, and cushioned. It was going so well, I added a third-pass to attempt a BBS. Didn't quite get there all over, but it was very close and comfortable with minimal feedback from the alum (especially considering I rarely do a third pass). I really enjoyed the scent of the soap--reminded me of Midnight Stag, which I also like, so I wasn't surprised when my wife's take was "Innertube." :facep: The Pinaud Clubman Classic Vanilla was a good match. For someone's who's not ordinarily a fan of vanilla, I can't believe how much I like this stuff. Easily my favorite of the Pinaud Clubman line and I'll be getting a large bottle and keeping it in the den permanently once this sample is done.

Still in
Razorock Game Changer 68p
Yaqi Sagrada Familia
Supermax platinum (Used for the first time, a really close and comfortable shave)
Proraso red
Nivea Sensitive balm
Armani code EDT
One of the things I find fascinating about this hobby are the differences in usability people have with different products. For me, the Supermax was beyond useless--it was like trying to scrape my whiskers off with a dull paint scraper. Actually, no, that would have been an improvement. It was like tugging each one out with tweezers. :lol: Glad they are working for you! :thumbup:

One of the things I find fascinating about this hobby are the differences in usability people have with different products. For me, the Supermax was beyond useless--it was like trying to scrape my whiskers off with a dull paint scraper. Actually, no, that would have been an improvement. It was like tugging each one out with tweezers. :lol: Glad they are working for you! :thumbup:

I read a lot of negative reviews about them but I found them in a local store, so I tried!
However, I find very unconfortable the Astra Green so yes YMMV!

Still in.

First shave since 1/30. Work has been busy, my wife and I have been sick with a stomach bug and my dad (who has dementia) has been a handful. We’ve also got about 2 feet (60 cm) of snow and the temperature is well below 0 F (-18 C). Lots of snow shoveling in the cold.

RR GC OC .84P w/Gillette Platinum White (1) - first pass head shave to knock down the big stuff

Leaf w/Gillette Platinum White (1) - head shave only

Leaf Twig w/Gillette Platinum White 1/2 blade - neck and beard trim only

PAA Atomic Rocket synthetic

Seaforth! Heather soap - Spearhead Shaving repro

Seaforth! Heather toner - Spearhead Shaving repro

Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel

This is the first time I’ve used a synthetic since November. It was weird.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

I’m out! Lol

i forgot about the PIF thing and entered Greydog’s. Oh well, might as well order that Karve razor now too!
It's a PIF worth forgetting the GRUME.

I also almost entered, but given that I'm really new in wetshaving and already have my hands full with Big Bess, it would be downright hoarding of brushes - if I would have won (fat chance).

Good luck with the Smile PIF !

It's a PIF worth forgetting the GRUME.

I also almost entered, but given that I'm really new in wetshaving and already have my hands full with Big Bess, it would be downright hoarding of brushes - if I would have won (fat chance).

Good luck with the Smile PIF !
Thanks.

I just ordered the Like Grandpa razor I have had my eye on for a year. Really cool as they are a small Canadian company (Edmonton, Alberta - as is Karve) that uses Karve’s machinery to make their brass razors (same as Karve with a different handle) and they make shaving soap for Karve in return.

Thanks.

I just ordered the Like Grandpa razor I have had my eye on for a year. Really cool as they are a small Canadian company (Edmonton, Alberta - as is Karve) that uses Karve’s machinery to make their brass razors (same as Karve with a different handle) and they make shaving soap for Karve in return.
That's good news.

It's very interesting to find out about Like Grandpa, you get a similar razor as Karve CB and only limitation is you get one base plate, instead of plethora of base plates.

At 0.73 mm, that's a great daily shaver IMO.

Great purchase, wishing you happy shaves :em2300:

Ps : definitely share your Shavemac (trade) and Razor pictures with us.

Thanks.

I had never heard of the Like Grandpa razor, appears to be just like the Karve with B plate. Hopefully they have better service then Karve. I wanted to buy a Karve before I got my Timeless as I wanted to support a Canadian company and they are local to me but he wouldn’t answer my emails or messages on social media, oh well, his loss. I’m really interested to see your thoughts on the Like Grandpa, might be in my future plans

I had never heard of the Like Grandpa razor, appears to be just like the Karve with B plate. Hopefully they have better service then Karve. I wanted to buy a Karve before I got my Timeless as I wanted to support a Canadian company and they are local to me but he wouldn’t answer my emails or messages on social media, oh well, his loss. I’m really interested to see your thoughts on the Like Grandpa, might be in my future plans
Exactly what it is. A Karve with a B plate branded Like Grandpa vs. Karve. The plates are interchangeable with Karve, which is a big selling pint for me as I want to try the wide Karve cap and the Karve OC “A” plate.

I got a personal email from the owner about an hour after placing my order thanking me For my business. Shipping label already created.

I will let you know my thoughts. A friend has one and loves it.

Top Bottom