What's new

Unusual garments and accessories

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I thought I'd start a thread for the unusual items that some of us might wear, which most folks don't think about. Maybe it's smog masks for some, or even neck braces, or specially adapted items perhaps.

For me, it's eye patches. I have complex neurological issues, which (amongst many other symptoms) can lead to either monocular or binocular double vision. If the eyes refuse to both aim at the same target, I can throw a patch over either eye, and be functional again. Alternatively, if one eye starts misbehaving, and giving me ghosted images, I can blank off that specific eye.

(If both happen simultaneously, I can be seeing triple. That's fun to try and deal with!!!)

I've just been using a cheap fabric patch, but being reversible so it can be used on either eye, it sits flat, and the eyelashes rub in it. That can be really annoying! So I've just ordered a couple of pre-cupped leather ones off Etsy. One with a dragon scale type pattern, and a rusticated one. They're coming from Eastern Europe, so may take a while to arrive, but I'll chuck pics up when they land.

Anyone else wearing anything unusual, that others might not have considered? Obviously some additional needs such as these, can make a difference to other sartorial choices.

Anyone else wearing anything unusual, that others might not have considered? Obviously some additional needs such as these, can make a difference to other sartorial choices.

A compression sock.

Every since I recovered from my fractured tibia and fibula, around May or June of 2019 (the break was 10/2018) I've had to wear a compression sock for the swelling in my left leg.

They come in blue, black, khaki, and white. If you are one to match your socks with the rest of your outfit, you can see the limitations.

I'm at the point where I don't really care. One sock matches. The compression sock doesn't. And small is the number of people who even notice.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I don’t think I have anything unusual In my wardrobe. I’ve tried cuff links, not for me. Same for hankies or pocket square and braces.

For @AimlessWanderer i wonder if some investigation into some type of eye glasses, like sunglasses or transition lenses or something more specific could be another option to an eye patch. Although the patch clearly strikes a certain look for sure and is probably easy if you have to switch sides although I’m guessing you each side is constructed differently in terms of shape or fit.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I don’t think I have anything unusual In my wardrobe. I’ve tried cuff links, not for me. Same for hankies or pocket square and braces.

For @AimlessWanderer i wonder if some investigation into some type of eye glasses, like sunglasses or transition lenses or something more specific could be another option to an eye patch. Although the patch clearly strikes a certain look for sure and is probably easy if you have to switch sides although I’m guessing you each side is constructed differently in terms of shape or fit.

The problem with my vision issues is that it's all intermittent, and it's more to do with brain stem function than with the eyes themselves. Lenses themselves wouldn't fix anything. I do have a pair of tinted distance specs, and untinted reading glasses. I cannot wear bifocals or varifocals, as that would create more problems than they would solve. There are patch type things that you can fix to specs, ala Archangel in Airwolf, but I haven't tried them.

Yes, the leather eyepatches are handed, so I have to pick the correct one for the eye I want to blank off. I've picked two different ones for that reason. A black dragon scaled one for the right eye, and a rusticated brown leather for the left. That way I can see at a glance (or even feel) which is which.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
The problem with my vision issues is that it's all intermittent, and it's more to do with brain stem function than with the eyes themselves. Lenses themselves wouldn't fix anything. I do have a pair of tinted distance specs, and untinted reading glasses. I cannot wear bifocals or varifocals, as that would create more problems than they would solve. There are patch type things that you can fix to specs, ala Archangel in Airwolf, but I haven't tried them.

Yes, the leather eyepatches are handed, so I have to pick the correct one for the eye I want to blank off. I've picked two different ones for that reason. A black dragon scaled one for the right eye, and a rusticated brown leather for the left. That way I can see at a glance (or even feel) which is which.
I’m almost thinking a lens that would Tint to black on one side or switched back to the other side. Something that doesn’t exist. And is certainly no help other than my musings. Sounds like a difficult condition especially driving or shaving 🪒

I’m almost thinking a lens that would Tint to black on one side or switched back to the other side. Something that doesn’t exist. And is certainly no help other than my musings. Sounds like a difficult condition especially driving or shaving 🪒
Your post triggered a thought about that electronically controlled glass that can switch between clear and dark or mirror with the flip of a switch. I wonder if anyone in the ophthalmologist community has worked out a pair of glasses that could be worn and switched on/off as needed. Something like this adapted for conditions that @AimlessWanderer mentions.

Yes they're fake, replicas and an imitation of the company name and logo....this I know. I gave a few of these out as "platonic" Valentine's Day gifts to some of my female friends. They know they're fake but loved the gesture and enjoy them.

**To the original poster: AimlessWanderer ....I'd buy a few of these...they're padded on the inside making them smooth and comfortable....and turn them into a fashionable eye patch***

1613305180952.png

1613305211960.png

Your post triggered a thought about that electronically controlled glass that can switch between clear and dark or mirror with the flip of a switch.

The Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses have been designed to help people develop a relaxed attitude to danger. They follow the principle "What You Don't Know Can't Hurt You" and turn completely dark and opaque at the first sign of danger. This prevents you from seeing anything that might alarm you. This does, however, mean that you see absolutely nothing, including where you're going.

proxy.php

Top Bottom