What's new

The Speakeasy Acquisitions 2021

8y Caol Ila by Signatory
5C13ABD6-7C00-4898-BE01-01E939E188A5.jpeg

Almost an entirely new experience with the seated (& whisky in general). I've had some of the main brand bourbons (Maker's, Beam, etc.) Tennessee (JD), and Irish (Jameson) multiple times in the past, as well as a really bad experience with Chivas many moons ago. As far as peated sconces go, I had a friend share a dram of Laphroig with me many years ago and tried a sip of some Ardbeg at another friend's house a year or two ago (not sure what Ardbeg it was. Though it tasted good, I wasn't too interested at the time, so I didn't bother to look. Lookin back, I think it was a committee release, but could be wrong).

Anyway, I cracked the Uigeadail last week and have really enjoyed it. The biggest struggle is setting it aside to let it air a bit now that I've drank down past the shoulder. That and figuring out what my next purchase will be.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Almost an entirely new experience with the seated (& whisky in general). I've had some of the main brand bourbons (Maker's, Beam, etc.) Tennessee (JD), and Irish (Jameson) multiple times in the past, as well as a really bad experience with Chivas many moons ago. As far as peated sconces go, I had a friend share a dram of Laphroig with me many years ago and tried a sip of some Ardbeg at another friend's house a year or two ago (not sure what Ardbeg it was. Though it tasted good, I wasn't too interested at the time, so I didn't bother to look. Lookin back, I think it was a committee release, but could be wrong).

Anyway, I cracked the Uigeadail last week and have really enjoyed it. The biggest struggle is setting it aside to let it air a bit now that I've drank down past the shoulder. That and figuring out what my next purchase will be.

I'm surprised, with you being fairly new to whisk(e)y, that you're jumping into something as robust and in your face as Uigeadail. Very cool. Laphroaig and Lagavulin are what ultimately got me into scotch, but I was a seasoned bourbon drinker before I tried those. Since you have a taste for it, beware though. Whisk(e)y AD can make the Brown Leaf acquisitions look like a game. Nice selection though. Any ideas on what your next might be?

I was uncertain when buying the Uigeadail, but also figured that in pipe tobaccos I tend to prefer Balkans and English, so it seemed like it might be a parallel taste-wise. That and I generally prefer diving in without dipping my toes in the water.

As to what's next, that's something I've been bouncing around. Part of me wants to do something similar to compare scotches with similar qualities (another Islay...maybe the Corryvreckan, a Laphroig, or Costco has a good deal on the Lugavulin 16). Another part of me wants to try something from a different extreme. Maybe a Redbreast 12 or a Hibiki Harmony. ATM, I'm leaning toward diving into the Islays.

Buffalo Trace has been plentiful around here, but E.H. Taylor and Stagg Jr. haven't been available for at least the past few months or so.
BT is usually pretty easy to get out here in Phoenix, but Eagle Rare & the Colonel is hit and miss. Stagg Jr & Blantons can be had, but they typically want you to buy at least another bottle, in this case that bottle of rum. That Knob 12 yr is pretty tough to get out here as well

Top Bottom