What's new

Seeking volunteers for prototype!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
No worries, generally it is used for when you are traveling.

There are several aspects that come into play. You want the razor to dry out but you want the razor protected. You also want to know that as you put it away and take it out that your fingers are not going near the blade. It needs to reflect what our brand is about and a bonus is if it is aesthetically pleasing. So as we worked on this style we had these considerations in mind.

I have never seen the appeal of the cases where you gingerly grab the DE razor by the top and slip the handle into a fitted leather sheath, then snap the top shut.
Thanks for the info. I agree that the little slip covers are almost more dangerous when handling a loaded razor. Yours is an interesting concept and thought out as well per usual.

If a Gillette Aristocrat and Tech will work to test it, then I'm in! I agree about the dangers of using a slip cover...I have one, and have nearly cut myself several times.

By thicker head adjustable do you mean like a Slim/Fatboy or like a Rockwell/Karve modern or both?

I have 23 DE razors in my collection right now but don't currently have a Fatboy/Slim - though I have a couple of Super Adjustables in my watchlist right now!

Love the look of these.

Good news guys, I am giving away SIX of them for feedback so pretty much you had a 50/50 chance of random.org picking your number.

If you are a winner send me your address. They will ship out on Monday so look for them by the end of the week. Please come back to this thread to share your candid appraisal of the Razor Jacket. Remember, you won't hurt our feelings. Tell us how it can be better. What you like / what you don't like / what you would change if you could.

You can either PM me your address here or email me at: [email protected]

Here is who got selected:

@fightingillini22, @snowback, @MilkCrate, @JWCowboy, @gvw755, @AZBronco

Congrats to each of you who were randomly picked and thank you to all of you for entering.

Good news guys, I am giving away SIX of them for feedback so pretty much you had a 50/50 chance of random.org picking your number.

If you are a winner send me your address. They will ship out on Monday so look for them by the end of the week. Please come back to this thread to share your candid appraisal of the Razor Jacket. Remember, you won't hurt our feelings. Tell us how it can be better. What you like / what you don't like / what you would change if you could.

You can either PM me your address here or email me at: [email protected]

Here is who got selected:

@fightingillini22, @snowback, @MilkCrate, @JWCowboy, @gvw755, @AZBronco

Congrats to each of you who were randomly picked and thank you to all of you for entering.

Congrats to the winners

Can't wait until they go on sale!

congrats to the 6 winners and thanks for doing this PIF.. I know myself and the other 2 who were not selected will be awaiting your feedback....
Sorry it looks like I miscounted. Either way the rest of us will be looking forward to the winners feedback... Again thanks for the wonderful contest...

Actually Mick, that light brown round disk is the self adhesive felt affixed to the head of the screw. That way the razor is protected from contacting the screw.

Here is the flip side to give you a better idea of where that stud is and where the head of the screw is located:

Didn't think you would forget that.

From the image it appeared to be raw metal.

Thanks to both me and Scott living close enough to share a USPS distribution center, I received my prototype on Tuesday afternoon. I've now had a couple days to play around with the wrap, and here are my initial thoughts.

The very first time I wrapped a razor head, it took some more force than I had anticipated to get it secured. I was originally trying to wrap my beloved Red Tip SS, but was worried enough at the amount of force that I appeared to need to use that I swapped to a Schick Krona. It just felt like I was using a lot of pressure and I didn't want to somehow mangle a razor I had paid to have replated and restored.

PXL_20210204_151005463.jpg

This had me a little worried, as I primarily have vintage razors and I didn't want to risk damaging one while attempting to wrap the head. So I decided to next try my very first safety razor purchased back in 2013 : a Maggard MR3. This is a beast of a handle, as well as decent sized head. What I found this time was that it was significantly easier to get the wrap secured and had no problem getting this beefy handle through the slot.

PXL_20210204_145856862.jpg

Now that I had a bit more confidence, I moved to a vintage razor that I'm not as attached to - my "grungy" Blue Tip that I simply mangled in bleach. Still fully functional but definitely looks awful. Unlike my first attempt with the Red Tip, I again had no issue getting the wrap secured. With the confidence fully restored, I also went back to my Red Tip and had no problems this time around.

PXL_20210204_144802567.jpg

PXL_20210204_150807984.jpg

Brimming with joy, I proceeded to try on a couple of thin headed razors, a Canadian Pre War Tech and a Bakelite. I had this Canadian replated and it's my favorite razor, so you know I was feeling no concern at this point. And being nice and thin, I had both Techs wrapped up nice and secure with no effort at all.

PXL_20210204_152924370.jpg

PXL_20210204_152955106.jpg

Per Scott's initial post, I moved up to a couple of thicker, adjustable style heads, my Fatboy and Slim. Despite them being materially thicker than the Techs, there was little effort required to get them wrapped. Obviously more than the Techs, but no where near a point where I was at all concerned about damage or the like.

PXL_20210204_145403435.jpg

PXL_20210204_151234395.jpg

Finally, I wanted to try a couple of more "unique" razors - an Schick Eversharp injector and Merkur 37C. Both were able to be wrapped no problem at all. Now, an injector has a blade in it at all times (unless you punch it out and don't replace) so I wouldn't do this regularly as it seems like a recipe for cutting yourself. But it does work if I wanted to travel with my injector. Also great to see the 37C slant head covered without issue.

PXL_20210204_145718845.jpg

PXL_20210204_145533761.jpg

So what are my final thoughts? I love this wrap, plain and simple. I don't have any of the MASSIVE head modern razors, but this worked for every single razor in my collection.

I would say that it would be important to call out that it will loosen up after a few uses (or at least, mine made a noticeable change between the first and second use.) I assume that continued use, as well as having it wrapped around a razor for longer spouts of time would only help to loosen up the leather, secure holes, etc.

I'm sure there's a careful balance of length here that I'm not appreciating. But I think making it ever so slightly longer would alleviate any of the fit issues in terms of pressure required to secure. As currently made, there was absolutely no movement in my smallest head razors, so feels like maybe there's some potential to size up ever so slightly to make it even more accommodating to larger razors. That said, I had no issues with my Gillette adjustables, but would be interested to see how a Rockwell would fit.

While this type of travel wrap wasn't on my radar before, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase it going forward. Right now, I use a plastic soap travel container with a bit of bubble wrap when traveling with a DE. I wouldn't take any of my favorite or more prized razors on a trip, so I'm not worried about the handle of any razor I travel with. Now with the wrap, I can take my Krona or MR3, wrap the head, and drop in my dopp bag without needing to take up a lot of space with the blue plastic container. This is a huge upgrade to my dopp kit in my book!

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Congratulations to the winners!
This looks like a very nice quality accessory, and at a reasonable price.

looks like a great concept. Just wondering about the stud releasing the leather wrap if it gets jostled around the DOPP kit.

To be honest, with the tightness of the wrap on even a thin razor like a Tech, I cannot see it being jostled free. It takes quite a bit of effort to release the stud intentionally, so having it happen inadvertently feels unlikely to me. 👍

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thanks to both me and Scott living close enough to share a USPS distribution center, I received my prototype on Tuesday afternoon. I've now had a couple days to play around with the wrap, and here are my initial thoughts.

The very first time I wrapped a razor head, it took some more force than I had anticipated to get it secured. I was originally trying to wrap my beloved Red Tip SS, but was worried enough at the amount of force that I appeared to need to use that I swapped to a Schick Krona. It just felt like I was using a lot of pressure and I didn't want to somehow mangle a razor I had paid to have replated and restored.

View attachment 1218036

This had me a little worried, as I primarily have vintage razors and I didn't want to risk damaging one while attempting to wrap the head. So I decided to next try my very first safety razor purchased back in 2013 : a Maggard MR3. This is a beast of a handle, as well as decent sized head. What I found this time was that it was significantly easier to get the wrap secured and had no problem getting this beefy handle through the slot.

View attachment 1218037

Now that I had a bit more confidence, I moved to a vintage razor that I'm not as attached to - my "grungy" Blue Tip that I simply mangled in bleach. Still fully functional but definitely looks awful. Unlike my first attempt with the Red Tip, I again had no issue getting the wrap secured. With the confidence fully restored, I also went back to my Red Tip and had no problems this time around.

View attachment 1218038

View attachment 1218046

Brimming with joy, I proceeded to try on a couple of thin headed razors, a Canadian Pre War Tech and a Bakelite. I had this Canadian replated and it's my favorite razor, so you know I was feeling no concern at this point. And being nice and thin, I had both Techs wrapped up nice and secure with no effort at all.

View attachment 1218039

View attachment 1218040

Per Scott's initial post, I moved up to a couple of thicker, adjustable style heads, my Fatboy and Slim. Despite them being materially thicker than the Techs, there was little effort required to get them wrapped. Obviously more than the Techs, but no where near a point where I was at all concerned about damage or the like.

View attachment 1218044

View attachment 1218045

Finally, I wanted to try a couple of more "unique" razors - an Schick Eversharp injector and Merkur 37C. Both were able to be wrapped no problem at all. Now, an injector has a blade in it at all times (unless you punch it out and don't replace) so I wouldn't do this regularly as it seems like a recipe for cutting yourself. But it does work if I wanted to travel with my injector. Also great to see the 37C slant head covered without issue.

View attachment 1218049

View attachment 1218050

So what are my final thoughts? I love this wrap, plain and simple. I don't have any of the MASSIVE head modern razors, but this worked for every single razor in my collection.

I would say that it would be important to call out that it will loosen up after a few uses (or at least, mine made a noticeable change between the first and second use.) I assume that continued use, as well as having it wrapped around a razor for longer spouts of time would only help to loosen up the leather, secure holes, etc.

I'm sure there's a careful balance of length here that I'm not appreciating. But I think making it ever so slightly longer would alleviate any of the fit issues in terms of pressure required to secure. As currently made, there was absolutely no movement in my smallest head razors, so feels like maybe there's some potential to size up ever so slightly to make it even more accommodating to larger razors. That said, I had no issues with my Gillette adjustables, but would be interested to see how a Rockwell would fit.

While this type of travel wrap wasn't on my radar before, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase it going forward. Right now, I use a plastic soap travel container with a bit of bubble wrap when traveling with a DE. I wouldn't take any of my favorite or more prized razors on a trip, so I'm not worried about the handle of any razor I travel with. Now with the wrap, I can take my Krona or MR3, wrap the head, and drop in my dopp bag without needing to take up a lot of space with the blue plastic container. This is a huge upgrade to my dopp kit in my book!
Well done on the review my friend! Very detailed! All my old razors are in original condition, so I don't worry about another scratch, but for folks that aren't natural born cheapskate slobs like me, I think you did a great job on the review.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Got it in the mail today!

So I immediately went and tried it out on my Karve OC, which one of the fattest, longest handle and largest heads I have on a DE razor...

Worked perfectly...

1612564540602.png

1612564570941.png

Then I tried it on a much smaller vintage English Tech....

again it worked perfectly

1612564650651.png

1612564675423.png

1612564700738.png

1612564720426.png

Last edited:

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
It's a nice, well constructed, well thought out product to protect your razor in your dopp bag while traveling.

1612564992226.png

The dopp kit in the photos is from Red Canoe, which I saw one that another member on this forum had (of course) and had to have one for myself....

It's got some loops on the inner wall the work perfectly for a razor with this "razor jacket"

1612565150567.png

Top Bottom