What's new

Shaving bowl - big difference

I started with a Japanese rice bowl. Very compact. Fits easily in the hand. Outward sloping sides. Worked great for years!

Then I discovered a scuttle... Oooooooh... Warm lather.

Nowadays I use the rice bowl for small test lathers for a new soap, but it's the scuttle for shaving.

Does the high sides of the Timeless bowl cause "clanking" of the brush at times?
My brushes are cheap, so I don't really think about that or worry. I see that someone above thought there was not enough room to maneuver. I find it to be enough room to work with. The plastic will likely not damage the handle. For me, my fingers glide around the edge and contact the side, not the brush handle.

I bought the Timeless bowl also. My wife really likes it, so it's hers. I have been face lathering for a few months, but find it hard not to fling lather everywhere. I'm going to try using a bowl again. I like ceramic for its heat retention and beautiful design.

When choosing to use a soft
Italian croap ( like Officina Artigiana Milano for example ) ,I face lather exclusively.

When it comes to triple milled soaps ,I use a bowl to make lather .Depending on the actual soap used the procedure may differ.
For example ,using any of the Saponificio Varesino soaps ,
firstly the soap is bloomed for 5’
with a thin layer of almost boiling water.This amount of water is poured in the lathering bowl and the loaded brush works with it to produce the
lather.
For the MWF a rather different approach takes place.With the aid of an espresso spoon thin flakes of soap are scraped from the puck.They are placed inside
the lathering bowl with a very small amount of tepid water and left to sit for about 5’ .
Then with a damp brush the lather is quickly produced and further worked.The trick is to start with small amounts of water and add more (if needed) while the lather is worked in the lathering bowl.Caution also is needed with the amount of flakes(soap) used.MWF shaving soap produces tons of lather.

I have and use two ceramic shaving bowls :

The first is hand-made here in Greece,by pottery makers in
Mantamados,Lesvos Isl. ,
Their skills,knowledge of the art and craftmanship dates back to ancient times.
It is sold by Faena.
It is double glazed (twice baked) and made from quite thick,red terracotta.
Great bowl for the SV soaps !
It allows a loaded with soap brush to fully splay while the lather is worked and
has room for tons of lather!
Not so comfy to hold with one hand though .

The other one is hand-made in Coimbra,Portugal and sold by Pereira Shavery .

It’s made from porcelain and
is ivory colored at it’s exterior ,
while at the interior is black colored,both in & out smoothly glazed !
Superb for producing lather from soap flakes ,as it restricts both the lather at the bottom
and the brush knot to work upright,without splaying,
giving to it the backbone needed to dissolve the softened soap flakes.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with a bit of bling in the den. Silver bowls work just as well as plastic or copper ones.

I started face lathering but moved to bowls and never looked back. Bowls have several advantages

1. Easier on your face
2. Hold lots of lather for multiple passes
3. Cleaner with less lather flicking around
4. Lets you finely tune the moisture content
5. Lets you keep the lather warm between passes by floating it in a few inches of water

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
The captain's choice of copper bowl +1, the reason list:
1.We have collected a lot of expensive razors, why not buy an amazing bowl to match.
2. It's really beautiful, even my wife appreciates it.
3. The shallow and wide design is suitable for random stirring without squeezing the cream onto the handle.

Although face foaming or kitchen bowls can also work well; since we are enjoying shaving, it is also good to add a sense of ceremony with a beautiful bowl.

M

member 119848

I have tried several bowls including Captains Choice and the Fine Ceramic Bowl. The one I fine the best is Pereira's bowl. It comes in 3 colors. I have a brown one. It works great to make lather and is unbreakable. Can't go wrong with this one.

View attachment 1216585
I have the same one in white. Great bowl!
In the past I had the Timeless bowl too, but I prefer the Pereira.

Arguably the best bowl I have, considering all aspects is this yellow $1.50 Walmart salsa bowl. Lathers like a fiend. after the inside is scuffed up some (I used a Dremel). For $10-$12 dollars more, this Turkish hand-hammered copper bowl does a great job also.
View attachment 1216608
View attachment 1216612

I bought one of the Turkish hand hammered bowls off of eBay about a year and a half ago. Took a long time to receive it, but man oh man did it completely change my shave routine. I still like to face lather with my shave sticks, but any soap or cream lathering is done in the bowl

I couldn't get the meringue like cosistency w/out a bowl. I use a cheap solid plastic salad bowl from the 70's that I found at a resale shop. I serrated the bottom and works like a champ.
IMG_0342-COLLAGE.jpg

I always thought bowl lathering is the natural and obvious method. Thanks to B&B I’m now dabbling with facelathering as well and it’s an enjoyable experience when you get it right. Nevertheless most times I bowl lather as I’m used to it and get dependable results.

1st place goes to the Captain‘s choice
then it’s equal parts the Fine and the Turkish Barber bowl
the PAA Travel scuttle gets the least use - warm lather is fine but it is on the small side

Currently I’m eyeing the big chunky Pereira bowl but it’s want not need...

BF8772EE-D0E3-40F9-8212-35ADCD9E7315.jpeg

I always thought bowl lathering is the natural and obvious method.

View attachment 1219502
What? Natural? Obvious? I only heard about bowl lathering ~13 years ago here on B&B. And I don't practise it. I have been shaving for 35 years. I tried bowls a couple of times some 10 years ago, but this is more time consuming for me. Heck, I am even not a big fan of the soaps in bowls, because it takes me more time to do, say, 80 whirls in the soap first.

Top Bottom