What's new

shaving mugs/scuttle recommendations

I have also been very interested in shaving bowls/cups and I have even designed my own but it all ended when I begun face lathering. Yes, warm lather is pleasant (which is an argument for a scuttle or a heavy ceramic bowl) but I think that is outweighed by the result of face lathering. The whiskers just gets somehow softer from building the lather directly on the face. Now I just keep one single cup in the bathroom and that cup is for soaking the brush.

Before spending much money on bowls/cups I recommend you to give face lathering a proper try.

I have also been very interested in shaving bowls/cups and I have even designed my own but it all ended when I begun face lathering. Yes, warm lather is pleasant (which is an argument for a scuttle or a heavy ceramic bowl) but I think that is outweighed by the result of face lathering. The whiskers just gets somehow softer from building the lather directly on the face. Now I just keep one single cup in the bathroom and that cup is for soaking the brush.

Before spending much money on bowls/cups I recommend you to give face lathering a proper try.
There's nothing stopping you or me from using a scuttle to create warm lather then spending a leisurely amount of time working it in to our faces. Kind of like having your cake and eating it too. I am really enjoying my Georgetown G12 scuttle.

Scuttle and Brush.jpg

What do you want to do with the shaving mug or scuttle?

View attachment 1191813
Either Moss Scuttle will work well as a brush warmer for even the largest brush, but the small one is better for that job.

Both can be used to build lather, too.​

Happy shaves,

Jim

Jim - I'm looking to pick up a Moss scuttle that I want to use as a brush warmer and to soak the brush prior to shaving. The 26mm silvertip brushes I'm using now need to be soaked right down to the knot or they will shed. I think we tend to use brushes with the same loft. Is the small Moss deep enough to give these brushes a good soak prior to shaving?

The PAA brush warmer looks like it would work perfectly, but I can't get past the color scheme.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim - I'm looking to pick up a Moss scuttle that I want to use as a brush warmer and to soak the brush prior to shaving. The 26mm silvertip brushes I'm using now need to be soaked right down to the knot or they will shed. I think we tend to use brushes with the same loft. Is the small Moss deep enough to give these brushes a good soak prior to shaving?

The PAA brush warmer looks like it would work perfectly, but I can't get past the color scheme.

It is plenty ugly, isn't it.

10-27-20.PAA.Brush&Warmer.FullSide.640.JPG

But, a brush will be fully immersed within it.​

Most of my 26 mm brushes (and all of the badgers of that size) won't be entirely immersed in the Moss scuttles. I soak 'em in the green Mavy rubber mug for that reason.

Were the Moss scuttles deep enough to soak 'em I still wouldn't use the Moss scuttle for that purpose - without modifying my procedure to a significant degree - because I fill a scuttle or brush warmer with the hottest tap water I can while I 'm washing my face or showering in an effort to prewarm it as a brush warmer, its only purpose as I see it. I want the scuttle or brush warmer as hot as possible before I start shaving. By the time I'm ready to use it as a brush warmer it's ready to keep my brush warm.

The very hot tap water would be too hot to soak a brush in in my opinion. Of course, there would be other ways to skin the cat.

I suspect the potter who makes the Moss scuttles could be induced to make a taller and smaller diameter scuttle, and one beautiful to my eye and yours. Whether it would then have problems unforeseen I don't know. I'm not a potter of course.

Why PAA went with an ugly color scheme is beyond me. The guy has a good nose, but maybe he's color blind? The PAA brush warmer's inexpensive but would it have cost more to be less unattractive? I doubt it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

It is plenty ugly, isn't it.

I suspect the potter who makes the Moss scuttles could be induced to make a taller and smaller diameter scuttle, and one beautiful to my eye and yours. Whether it would then have problems unforeseen I don't know. I'm not a potter of course.

Sara Bonnyman who makes the Moss scuttle said she could make me a scuttle that is deeper than the current specs of the small Moss. I'll let you know how it works out when I get it in about a month.

Just an FYI to anyone who is considering a Moss scuttle - the prices are in CAD.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sara Bonnyman who makes the Moss scuttle said she could make me a scuttle that is deeper than the current specs of the small Moss. I'll let you know how it works out when I get it in about a month.

Just an FYI to anyone who is considering a Moss scuttle - the prices are in CAD.

How do you like it? Photos? Etc?

How do you like it? Photos? Etc?

BLUF: It was an expensive experiment that didn't succeed. It's only a 1/2 deeper than the standard specs and no less wide. It looks like a standard Moss scuttle in ivory. While it's a beautifully made scuttle, it does nothing to keep my brush warm. I take full responsibility for describing to Sara what I was looking for without providing the exact specs. She may not be very clear on what a brush scuttle is or I just did a poor job describing it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
BLUF: It was an expensive experiment that didn't succeed. It's only a 1/2 deeper than the standard specs and no less wide. It looks like a standard Moss scuttle in ivory. While it's a beautifully made scuttle, it does nothing to keep my brush warm. I take full responsibility for describing to Sara what I was looking for without providing the exact specs. She may not be very clear on what a brush scuttle is or I just did a poor job describing it.

Bummer.

Top Bottom