What's new

Simpson classic 1 or Simpson duke 1

Let's see. There is the mild BAD, that's when you "need" a badger, a boar, a synthetic, and just maybe a horsie.

A more severe case results in multiples, backups, matching sets, big uns and little uns and various grades of hair.

Then you acquire a cabinet to house them.

Very Serious BAD pushes the envelope. New shave den. Brushes that get used once every year or two, because the "collection" numbers 50, or 100. Rotation requires a spreadsheet.

Deep hole! Or, so I've heard.

No years when it comes to brushes and razors. Other shaving products, such as soaps, after shave, pre shave, etc. Then yes!

Duke 1 is a smaller brush, Classic has a lot larger diameter knot and the travel tube (do you really need that?). I have the Berkeley which may not be as dense but it is a great workhorse and even more affordable.
I bought a used Berkeley here on buy-sell-trade several years ago, and it quickly became my favorite brush. Afraid my Simpson Tulip 2 in super and my custom Grosevenor in super mostly sit. The Berkeley is a perfect size and perfect density for me. It started out to be a travel brush, stored inside a plastic pill bottle. (No, you don't need an expensive travel tube.) If I could only have one brush, the Berkeley would be the one.

Hello all,

I am in this dilemma between the Classic 1 and Duke 1 as well. I am leaning towards the Duke because...well it has The Duke written on it (I am sure I am not the only one who thinks that looks cool)and it is $20 cheaper

I can’t tell any other major differences, am I missing something? They are only 1-2 mm different on height and knot from what I see.

Thank you and of course pics would be great.

Andrew

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Hello all,

I am in this dilemma between the Classic 1 and Duke 1 as well. I am leaning towards the Duke because...well it has The Duke written on it (I am sure I am not the only one who thinks that looks cool)and it is $20 cheaper

I can’t tell any other major differences, am I missing something? They are only 1-2 mm different on height and knot from what I see.

Thank you and of course pics would be great.

Andrew
They are both similar but to me the Classic 1 is more dense and scrubby and it is my preference. If you will ever use the small Simpson travel tube then either will suit as they both fit; the Classic 1 is a perfect fit. Here are my travel choices:

forum.jpg

Top Bottom