What's new

Anyone just shave one pass?

I only shave once if I am in a super hurry and I can't go unshaven. However, I usually and normally do 2 passes because my whole journey to this site and the joys of traditional wet shaving is because I have suffered from a lifetime of folliculitis after shaving with the standard fare stuff from the big money grubbing shaving companies. I absolutely have to do 2 light passes on my neck just to get a good shave and no irritation. All that said, I enjoy the shave, the skill to get a good shave, the honor of taking my time in a time honored activity of men shaving their faces. I apologize for getting a bit preachy here…I guess I got on a bit of a rant, sorry.

In the end, just do whatever works for ya. It all depends on the whisker stiffness, the skin sensitivity, etc. If ya get a good shave in one pass, more power to ya! With one pass, you certainly get out of the bathroom long before I do.

Sincerely,
Al
Remember, always run flat out and NEVER lift!
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me rather than a frontal lobotomy. - Tom Waits (or at least this is the 1st time I heard it)

I can get a decent shave with one pass but I go a little bit further ... my touch ups often amount to a 2 or 3 pass shave!! I love a smooth face so I go for BBS every time. So no normally I don’t do just one pass.

I have done one pass WTG when pressed for time and it’s usually acceptable enough but normally I do two passes.

I can get a socially acceptable shave in one pass, but greatly prefer to do two passes. If I were to go back to daily shaving, I would strongly consider doing only a single pass. For now, though, I am content with two passes plus touch-up four times a week.

I'm going to try going thirty days with one WTG pass. I'll see if I can get a socially acceptable shave without much stubble. I'll post back.

I have to second the argument that scent and wellness are a reason for 3 passes.

However, even when using my R41 OC only one pass feels like having removed nothing of my daily growth. I shave on a daily basis and I need but also enjoy 3 passes.

I don't shave against the grain. I have tried really mild razors (Gillette Slim on 1), and even that wasn't comfortable for me. I don't like the feel of the blade pulling my hair. I almost always get irritation if I shave against the grain. I've been wet shaving for at least six years now and it's never felt good. I do one pass, a mix of WTG and XTG. It's close enough and allows me to shave every day if I wanted to.

1 pass ATG + touchup for me. The "sharpened stubble" argument is intriguing, but I have no stubble (at least not when it matters). I shave in the evening, because my wife appreciates BBS. No stubble until morning--I guess it doesn't matter to me if the stubble is sharp at work.

1 pass only for the last 5 years or so. Used to go XTG, but the irritation was too much. If WTG is not smooth enough, I have found 2 superior workarounds:
1. Stretch the skin horizontally, shave, then vertically and repeat (alum on wet fingers helps, but seldom required). Drawback: more prone to cuts
2. What I call the "eraser method": as soon as you have found the working angle, push the razor up and down without leaving the skin until you've completely shaven. Drawback: prone to weepers (when changing from a grin to a blowfish face, do not move the razor)

On rare occasions. Usually if it is later in the day, and I won't be going anywhere but I want to shave. Gotta keep the streak alive you know. [emoji6]

I missed one day in 2020, and I was pissed about that. I don't believe I missed any in 2019.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom