What's new

Storing tobacco?

I received 7, 2 oz. packs from online order. Don’t feel like transferring them all to jars at the moment. Will they be ok wrapped in the baggies, for short term. Also they fit perfectly in an old cigar box I have laying around. Thoughts?
34826544-A648-4709-8A59-90177B4B6F1C.jpeg

Go to your local dollar store and buy some betty crocker 2 cup plastic tubs, there 3 in a pack.
put it in there and will hold much better.

I have been trying these for the past month.
Pretty good, i like the betty crocker 2 cup container, large enuf to load the pipe over it and small enuf to store many blends. A 3 or 4 pack at you local dollar store. When i open a vac sealed jar or bag, i empty some from the jar in it or re seal the bag. All good. I dont have to worry about dropping it outside on the lanai, no worry about glass.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks gents! I have plenty of mason jars, is that good? Another question, is garage ok to keep them? It is insulated and stays around 40 degrees. When in negative temps outside it gets around 34, but never lower. Summertime mid 70’s in the garage.

Thanks gents! I have plenty of mason jars, is that good? Another question, is garage ok to keep them? It is insulated and stays around 40 degrees. When in negative temps outside it gets around 34, but never lower. Summertime mid 70’s in the garage.

I have plenty of mason jars, is that good?
Another question, is garage ok to keep them? It is insulated and stays around 40 degrees. When in negative temps outside it gets around 34, but never lower. Summertime mid 70’s in the garage.
Should be good if the jars stay sealed. Below freezing might not be

Thanks again! I’m preparing to jar them up now, didn’t spend a lot of money but want my smoke to be good. Packed up the Peter Stokkebye 314 Dark Fired, from the smell I didn’t think I would like it. Much to my surprise I do! :)

I've stored samples pretty long term in jars with like types so that I'm not using a whole jar for a half oz or ounce so I only take up a few jars instead of 20.

Then you forget you have them and pull them out and send them out on trades or PIFs ;) :)

I still have quite a few 1 oz samples still in the plastic bags. Over time they do tend to dry out a bit which could be a good thing since most of us dry the tobacco out a bit before smoking anyways. If it's just a oz or so some consider that a sample, but in my case 1 oz lasts a long time but have yet to Have any blends dry out too much to negatively effect the smoking experience.

With this hobby it's really about finding what works for you and how far you want to take it. Same for wet shaving. Hope you enjoy those blends, there are some good ones in there especially the Matured red Virginia ;)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
^^^ I agree.

IMG_20210106_042638_edit.jpg

I've had samples keep in a drawer just fine, with the tightly wrapped pouches collated by type, and then put inside a zip seal bag. Several months later, they still needed airing out before I smoked them.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
^^^ I agree.

View attachment 1211200

I've had samples keep in a drawer just fine, with the tightly wrapped pouches collated by type, and then put inside a zip seal bag. Several months later, they still needed airing out before I smoked them.

Good grief. Those placards and pictures. I’d have jarred them just to avoid staring at that.

I applaud your superior constitution in putting up with it.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Good grief. Those placards and pictures. I’d have jarred them just to avoid staring at that.

I applaud your superior constitution laziness in putting up with it.

Fixed that for you :biggrin1:

They're not showpieces, just stashed in a drawer, and I resent having to pay for a jar, when they're already adequately packaged for ageing in a tin. When I come to open them, they'll get dispensed into my smaller "live blend" tins. As such, I'm not having to face the ugly visuals at every smoke, many of which are far worse than can be seen in that pic.

img_20210117_162407_edit-jpg.1209816

Virtually all my smokes are loaded from those tins now. I'll have to replace then periodically due to wear, corrosion, or the seal becoming ineffective, but they are cheap enough, and very convenient. The five tin system also stops me having too many tobaccos open at any one time.

img_20201015_155005_edit_edit-jpg.1201972

I tend to keep baggies and open tins grouped together in a tall Tupperware container. It’s not long term, but improves the short term longevity. I keep VAs and English in separate containers.

Top Bottom