What's new

In stock tobacco thread

Well crud. What to do, what to do.

I kinda got burned on the Carolina red flake a few months ago. Grabbed 9 tins and immediately was turned off. I’d hate to do the same with Presbyterian. But if I like it.....

stupid TAD
Can get two now. See if you like it and maybe have time to order more or wait for it to go on sale again. I keep ordering tins of it and trading them off or giving them to contest winners or secret Santa kids... One day I'll try it.

In regards to the carolina red flake, you won't regret it. If you crack another tin or the jar you out it in and still don't like it someone in the stock exchange will jump on it and trade for something you know you like or other things you want to try.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Aye, tins. You get many more varieties in pouches that we get in tins...

I wasn't aware of that. I'd happily pay an extra 50p or whatever, to have the tobacco in a tin, and not have the hassle, expense, and additional space issues of having to jar stuff - which incidentally, makes pouches and bulk more expensive than tins here.

What others do you get tinned, that we get pouched?

I wasn't aware of that. I'd happily pay an extra 50p or whatever, to have the tobacco in a tin, and not have the hassle, expense, and additional space issues of having to jar stuff - which incidentally, makes pouches and bulk more expensive than tins here.

What others do you get tinned, that we get pouched?
Start listing them. We get very few pouches. St Bruno, most drug store blends, Amphora, Salty Dogs... I may be missing a few but seriously, very few pouches come across the pond.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Start listing them. We get very few pouches. St Bruno, most drug store blends, Amphora, Salty Dogs... I may be missing a few but seriously, very few pouches come across the pond.

Pouches here...

Alsbo
Amphora
Highland Ready Rubbed (formally Players Whiskey)
Borkham Riff
Brookfield
Capstan
Clan
Condor
Craven
Most Gawith Hoggarth blends are bulk/loose, and a select few are tinned
Some Germain's come pouched, some tinned, some loose. All seems quite erratic from there.
Gold Block
Holland House
Holger Danske
MacBaren (including the HH blends, which until recently were tinned)
McLintock
Original Flake (previously Ogdens Walnut)
Planta
Presbyterian
Radfords (loose)
Revor Plug
Some Peterson’s (Connemara, Wild Atlantic, Irish Dew)
St Bruno
Three Nuns

Pouches here...

Alsbo
Amphora
Highland Ready Rubbed (formally Players Whiskey)
Borkham Riff
Brookfield
Capstan
Clan
Condor
Craven
Most Gawith Hoggarth blends are bulk/loose, and a select few are tinned
Some Germain's come pouched, some tinned, some loose. All seems quite erratic from there.
Gold Block
Holland House
Holger Danske
MacBaren (including the HH blends, which until recently were tinned)
McLintock
Original Flake (previously Ogdens Walnut)
Planta
Presbyterian
Radfords (loose)
Revor Plug
Some Peterson’s (Connemara, Wild Atlantic, Irish Dew)
St Bruno
Three Nuns
There are a few peterson's that come in pouches. Namely the ones you mentioned. There are some flavored (I think STG brands) that come in pouches, John Bull, c'est la vie, irish something or other. But yeah other than the Carter Hall, Prince Albert, SWR, LLRR and the many flavors of captain black; not much.

Don't know how I feel on pouches. Only ever bought one pouch of Carter hall and the Salty Dogs are in a the pouch in tupperware dish In my closet. So I can't say much.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Not many but some Samuel Gawith options at 4noggins.

Jeff actually has some of the lower overall prices around on many blends.

I know he got beat up indirectly because of the prior owner. Unfairly so.

On my last order, he had decent turnaround, and packed well. Didn't provide a tracker (which can be a problem), but it showed up before I even could ask for one.

A kind word can sometimes go a long way.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I don’t know any of the history, but I’ve ordered from 4noggins a few times recently with no issues.

I don’t know any of the history, but I’ve ordered from 4noggins a few times recently with no issues.

Same here. I’ve ordered five or six times from him (Jeff) in the past few years with no issues. He answered the phone every time I called, and even helped me find some GH Dark Flake Scented that wasn’t showing in stock on the site.

Jeff actually has some of the lower overall prices around on many blends.

I know he got beat up indirectly because of the prior owner. Unfairly so.

On my last order, he had decent turnaround, and packed well. Didn't provide a tracker (which can be a problem), but it showed up before I even could ask for one.

A kind word can sometimes go a long way.

Did I say or insinuate something I’m unaware of?

I don’t recall having any issues with 4noggins with Rich or Jeff. Fast shipping, well packed, always got free pipe cleaners with my orders. They blend one of my all time favorite blends, Hobbits Weed. I’ve only had situations with two vendors and I’m sure I’ve said their names in the past 10 years as a member but many enjoy working with them so I won’t mention the vendor names.

The old owner of 4noggins started posting political views and lost a lot of customers. I don't even remember what it was in regards to.
I think at the time I disagreed with him to the point of not ordering from him.

New owner, I went back at least once. I can't remember what or how much. The order came and I didn't have any problems.

The old owner of 4noggins started posting political views and lost a lot of customers. I don't even remember what it was in regards to.
I think at the time I disagreed with him to the point of not ordering from him.

New owner, I went back at least once. I can't remember what or how much. The order came and I didn't have any problems.

Ah gotcha! I don’t guess I recall that excitement. I need to make an order with them in the near future to jar up a few pounds of hobbits weed. In my focus of narrowing down my must haves I’m putting away a few pounds of each must have to have many years of my delights on hand for the back porch.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Did I say or insinuate something I’m unaware of?

I don’t recall having any issues with 4noggins with Rich or Jeff. Fast shipping, well packed, always got free pipe cleaners with my orders. They blend one of my all time favorite blends, Hobbits Weed. I’ve only had situations with two vendors and I’m sure I’ve said their names in the past 10 years as a member but many enjoy working with them so I won’t mention the vendor names.

I guess I wasn't too clear about the background. Others covered it. Rich had riled up some of his customers by the end with a number of things.

This poor guy bought the place after Rich finally retired, and immediately started getting smeared on some of the Pipe boards, based on rumor and innuendo about who they 'thought' he was. It was not right.

I've never had a bad experience with either of them, either. But that's why I mentioned it.

I guess I wasn't too clear about the background. Others covered it. Rich had riled up some of his customers by the end with a number of things.

This poor guy bought the place after Rich finally retired, and immediately started getting smeared on some of the Pipe boards, based on rumor and innuendo about who they 'thought' he was. It was not right.

I've never had a bad experience with either of them, either. But that's why I mentioned it.

No worries my friend, that's a shame for Jeff. Definitely creates an uphill climb. Hopefully he's seeing the fruits of his labor creating his own image and reputation. I'd like to go up there some time and check out a few pipe shops. I have this vision in my head of his shop being a small one room shop that's packed floor to ceiling with inventory and that inviting lone chair to sit and take it all in. It would be a treat to do that across the great shops. Take pics and build a thread of all the shops and the folks behind the scenes we deal with routinely.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
No worries my friend, that's a shame for Jeff. Definitely creates an uphill climb. Hopefully he's seeing the fruits of his labor creating his own image and reputation. I'd like to go up there some time and check out a few pipe shops. I have this vision in my head of his shop being a small one room shop that's packed floor to ceiling with inventory and that inviting lone chair to sit and take it all in. It would be a treat to do that across the great shops. Take pics and build a thread of all the shops and the folks behind the scenes we deal with routinely.

With the present nature of the business (notwithstanding the big warehouse operations), the people that are still in it have to have a real passion for the hobby and the community.

You’re not going to become a billionaire running a small pipe tobacco shop in 2021. It’s a labor of love at the mom and pop level. I’ll support any that run a fair shop. Many are family run across multiple generations. And it’s fun to watch them change over the years. Boswells and Milan are two that immediately come to mind.

If someone takes an extra day or two to get a shipment out, or doesn’t have the latest website architecture, it’s no big deal to me.

Top Bottom