What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Just finished “The Queen’s Gambit” 7-episode miniseries on Netflix. Starts slow and dark, ends well. Beautifully written, acted and produced 1960s period piece. Highly recommended, but don’t binge. Rather watch one episode daily for a week, marinating overnight on each episode. Extraordinary!

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
My wife and I started 'Best in Show' this afternoon but gave up after about 20 minutes. Too bad, because I really like Christopher Guest, Michael McKean, Eugene Levy, Stiffler's Mom, etc. But it just never hooked us.

My wife and I started 'Best in Show' this afternoon but gave up after about 20 minutes. Too bad, because I really like Christopher Guest, Michael McKean, Eugene Levy, Stiffler's Mom, etc. But it just never hooked us.
Try Waiting for Guffman or A Mighty Wind if you havent seen them. I like Best in Show, but the aforementioned are better IMO.

proxy.php

Broken Hearts Gallery 7/10 not a bad film comedy drama film

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My wife and I also watched this last night. An amusing little romantic comedy, which is getting harder to find. Good thing it had Geraldine Viswanathan as her personality had to carry it.

Murder on the Blackpool Express. A British made for TV movie with a host of actors from British TV staples. The plot is described as "When a murder mystery tour goes horribly wrong with a murder of an OAP, it is up to the bus driver to solve the murder before all of the passengers are killed" and both myself and the OH really enjoyed this film, its an easy watch with plenty of laughs.

Hitchcock's The Paradine Case from 1947. I found the courtroom scenes in particular to be riveting. It's based on a novel by Robert S. Hichens, whose short story "How Love Came to Professor Guildea" is a wonderful supernatural tale. Paradine the novel is from the '30s, though Hichens was a contemporary of Oscar Wilde.

Last edited:
Hitchcock's The Paradine Case from 1947. I found the courtroom scenes in particular to be riveting. It's based on a novel by Robert S. Hichens, whose short story "How Love Came to Professor Guildea" is a wonderful supernatural tale. Paradine the novel is from the '30s, though Hichens was a contemporary of Oscar Wilde.
Somehow I’ve missed the Paradine Case. I’ll have to hunt for it.

Watched Deadwood The Movie 8/10 after watching the Deadwood series on HBO.

I wish they would have gone one more season instead of a movie to end the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pest in Florenz (The Plague of Florence), a 1919 German silent film from the Fritz Lang: The Silent Years box set, based on Poe's Masque of the Red Death.

With a new 65” Sony 4k TV hooked up yesterday, and my wife out for a bit, I took the opportunity to watch a Blu-ray silent movie that I couldn’t watch if my wife were in the same room. She loves 30s & 40s b&w movies, but refuses to watch a silent film.

Wikipedia has the best summary of the movie: A beautiful, rich courtesan arrives in Florence. Lust and excess overtake the city. Florence's fine buildings are turned into dens of sexual debauchery. Excess and manslaughter continue uninterrupted until the arrival of a ragged female figure personifying the Plague, who infects the whole city with her deadly disease and plays the fiddle while the population dies in droves.

Sounds like the world today, but the film doesn't need to depict today's nudity and gratuitous violence on screen.

I've seen A Mighty Wind. Very well done. I'll look for Guffman.
Check out This is Spinal Tap from 1984, many of the same folks and it is a mockumentary of a rock band. One of my favorites and it has Michael McKean, Christopher Guest and Harry Shearer as the band.

Last movie I watched on the Telly was the Equalizer with Denzel Washington. Not bad. The last movie I watched in a theatre was Deadpool 2. Loved it. I’ve also watched bits and pieces of the Ballad of Buster Scruggs on YouTube. You can watch maybe 50-75% of the movie in short vids. I’d really like to sit down and watch it uninterrupted some day.

Top Bottom