What's new

The Janus Modern Toggle Limited Edition (51) Review

I have had fun using the exact same formula for the last week or so but it is getting a bit boring. Other razors are calling me to take them out for a run. This should be my last test run with the Janus.

Just finished my 6th? run. Same variables as last time: hot shower (my wife started the laundry so I got 15 seconds of ice cold :)), 5 drops of shave oil rubbed into beard, Cella, new Silver Blue blade. I went through all settings.

Ranking is 5 - Great, 4 - Good, 3 - Acceptable, 2 - Bad, 1 - Terrible
(Wtg only, atg was very different, could be because my beard lies flat.)
Setting:
1. 4
2. 4
3. 3
4. 3
5. 3
6. 4
7. 5
8. 5
9. 5

3 worked best atg for me. 3-5 wtg? No idea what is going on there. My final impression is the Janus LE feels best at 1,2 and 7-9. I'll be sticking with 9 for wtg and 3 for atg.

This thread has been fairly gentlemanly although it was moved out to the boonies. Feel free to continue your reviews here.

Happy shaves gents!

R

romsitsa

I'd love to see some closeups of the head. More people claim the middle settings are more harsh than low and high, but it makes zero sense (no offense). As only the base plate moves, even the "blade is clamped more rigidly on 9" solution doesn't sound right.

Adam

I'd love to see some closeups of the head. More people claim the middle settings are more harsh than low and high, but it makes zero sense (no offense). As only the base plate moves, even the "blade is clamped more rigidly on 9" solution doesn't sound right.

Adam
I'm glad others noticed what I did. I agree it doesn't make sense and I have not heard a good explanation either. How about the pics in the locked thread? Are they good enough for you to see what you are looking for? If not maybe someone with some camera skills can take a few for us.

Reactions: AQU
I'm glad others noticed what I did. I agree it doesn't make sense and I have not heard a good explanation either. How about the pics in the locked thread? Are they good enough for you to see what you are looking for? If not maybe someone with some camera skills can take a few for us.

Mine should arrive tomorrow and I have some background in photography. If I get a little extra time, I’ll do my best. But I will likely post them where you can get a Damn Fine Shave since this thread seems buried.

Mine should arrive tomorrow and I have some background in photography. If I get a little extra time, I’ll do my best. But I will likely post them where you can get a Damn Fine Shave since this thread seems buried.
Since the other thread is locked I'll ask the mods if they can put this one back where it started since the hotheads who got the other thread locked have had a couple days to cool off. Maybe change the title for us. Delete the woohoo? :)

In reading the thread in another forum it would seem that Eric will not be changing back to the prototype version of his razor but moving on to what he is calling a hybrid version!! It will have the shave characteristics of the prototype and the dimensions of this version?? I don't see how this can be accomplished for one and isn't that pretty much what he did with this version and where it all went sideways to start with? He will also be tweaking the knurling, dial and numbering, fit and finish, as well a a few other changes... Let's hope he shares the razor before going into full production regardless of what he does as I think that would be best for all.

Canada Post has failed me (but who can blame them with Covid-19). I’ll have the razor Monday and will post pictures.

In reading the thread in another forum it would seem that Eric will not be changing back to the prototype version of his razor but moving on to what he is calling a hybrid version!! It will have the shave characteristics of the prototype and the dimensions of this version?? I don't see how this can be accomplished for one and isn't that pretty much what he did with this version and where it all went sideways to start with? He will also be tweaking the knurling, dial and numbering, fit and finish, as well a a few other changes... Let's hope he shares the razor before going into full production regardless of what he does as I think that would be best for all.
I wouldn't put too much stock in info from any forum unless he stated his intentions himself. However he may have too much time and money invested in the current version re. suppliers/machining specs/assembly, etc. to go back to the prototype. If he forges ahead despite the best efforts of mean spirited detractors to sink his project he is a better man than I.

R

romsitsa

Found some pictures on another forum, some guesses, based on my razors. Janus looks like an overclocked Gillette adjustable with more blade exposure. Blade angle on low settings is semmingly steep (scraping) if riding the bar, on middle range it's almost vertical, high settings seemingly eliminate the function of the bar and require riding the cap.

If the gap range is correct (0,8 mm on 1), the Janus actually starts where a Gillette adjustable ends.

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't put too much stock in info from any forum unless he stated his intentions himself.
I'm sure you know the source of the info as you are on that forum and I trust the person that shared the info from a phone call with Eric... I certainly hope he has better luck than this go round and hope he tests it thoroughly prior to going into full production.

I'm sure you know the source of the info as you are on that forum and I trust the person that shared the info from a phone call with Eric... I certainly hope he has better luck than this go round and hope he tests it thoroughly prior to going into full production.
Me too.

A write from another shave venue. Just realized that this thread was continued again. Thanks to the mods/admins for allowing it to proceed. Hopefully it stays on the right path with good info & positive discussion between its members. It's all I/We want to be honest....

Came back to the Janus after about half dozen shaves with the RR Hawk V3. Anyhow, installed a twice used Feather Hi-SS in the Janus and cranked it up full tilt. Wanted to make a note that I checked thoroughly from 1-9 on the adjustment dial and on clamping the blade in and throughout the whole range never saw blade misalignment or uneven exposure from end to end. The blade locked in equally on both sides with the doors closing precisely with that firm and solid action. Love the locking action of this razor. Superb really.

Went into it and went full straight shave mode with full face pull/stretch with some facial contortions thrown in. Overboard in technique? Yeah perhaps as this is no 8/8 Full Hollow or 9/8 Wedge which are truly amazing shavers but, they are not safety razors. When I first used the Janus at 7 it wasn't the smoothest of shaves. Set it to 9 and off I went. First pass I was like "Oh, this is surprising" as the razor felt quite nice. Cleared the whiskers and proceeded with ATG pass 2. Again a nice pass. BBS of the highest order in two. I was puzzled/bamboozled by the outcome. But, the proof and outcome was yet to be decided with the alum pass. Additionally, no weepers, nics of any kind. Alum on face was smooth without a touch of burn. The neck was almost there but, I got some slight heat around the Apple and a twinge of it at both jawlines. Subtle but, present. The face feel though was glorious. I'm dumbfounded and that's no B.S. I don't know what happened but, I will say it felt just like at 7 only slightly smoother. Blade feel is there and nearly no harshness. Perhaps the Feather blade on use 3 was the ticket or the straight razor technique contributed or even the GD Soap. Or, the geometry of blade and the Janus safety bar & cap was a contributor. I really have no clue. The shave was performed yesterday at about 4pm. It's almost 9am and I only feel the tiniest of stubble around the Adam's Apple but, the rest of my face/neck is still smooth. ***? I'm lost.... More shaving research needed and just take it one facet at a time with making changes. Veneers, calipers & micrometers might have to come in to play to figure this one out.

Again, I can't emphasize how good the shave was. Not the smoothest or most drama free but, the shave & end result were well above average and closer to excellent.

Happy shaves, Gents....

I took mine out for a spin yesterday. Same prep/equipment as the other test above. I set it on 5 and compared it to my Wolfman. The LE was much more comfortable but my Wolfman has always been a bit tuggy if I don't use a Feather blade. I discovered I have to use contact with the guard bar on the LE and not the cap to set the angle. I'm still happy with it but would much rather have the original design of the prototype which I think has more visual appeal. The LE is a bit too busy for my tastes compared to the simplicity and clean lines of the prototype.

Today, the Janus produced a great shave with results near to perfection. Installed a Voshkod blade with its 3rd use (probably the last as I can only get 2-3 good quality shaves from them. Down hill from there rather quickly). Set it on 3 and a very satisfying three pass affair. No touch ups, buffing or pick ups of any kind. I’ve come to terms with the Janus Toggle in knowing that it is not perfect and that it has some flaws but, the design and construction of it is such that I have endeared myself to the razor with its beauty in engineering and its workings. I have never contacted or spoken with the manufacturer since the release and have no idea whether the razor will be produced again to fix the issue of excessive blade feel and lack of smoothness especially in the upper size ranges. It has become my favorite razor to look at and hold though, not my favorite to shave with. But, I can overlook the shortcomings and still enjoy a heck of a shave with this beauty.....

Happy shaves. :shaving:

D9A927F2-E8F9-460F-BEAC-0524ACA0997F.jpeg

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Today, the Janus produced a great shave with results near to perfection. Installed a Voshkod blade with its 3rd use (probably the last as I can only get 2-3 good quality shaves from them. Down hill from there rather quickly). Set it on 3 and a very satisfying three pass affair. No touch ups, buffing or pick ups of any kind. I’ve come to terms with the Janus Toggle in knowing that it is not perfect and that it has some flaws but, the design and construction of it is such that I have endeared myself to the razor with its beauty in engineering and its workings. I have never contacted or spoken with the manufacturer since the release and have no idea whether the razor will be produced again to fix the issue of excessive blade feel and lack of smoothness especially in the upper size ranges. It has become my favorite razor to look at and hold though, not my favorite to shave with. But, I can overlook the shortcomings and still enjoy a heck of a shave with this beauty.....

View attachment 1209808
So 3 seems to be the sweet spot Gus 👍
It is definitely a beautiful razor to look at .

View attachment 1209808
Eric told me this month that he is working on it. We will see how it shakes out. I've been bugging him to sell me one of the prototypes. When he is done I want one of the originals, which I had the pleasure of trying after he had already changed the specs and the LE had been shipped. Imo he would have had great success if he had left the original design as it was. All the input about too high door shape, slippery handle, etc. was wrong. The prototype was near perfect. To be fair to the testers, Eric decided on his own to make changes he thought were necessary to accommodate minor concerns but he did not allow time for another round of testing. Big mistake.

Eric is not one of us dyed in the wool wet shavers who have tried dozens of gaps and exposures. He focused on the job from an engineering perspective. If he had our feel for what is smooth and what is harsh re. prototype vs. LE, he would not have shipped the revision. I will bring my LE out for my next shave but it is definitely not one of my favorites. In any case I am in for the next revision.

Eric told me this month that he is working on it. We will see how it shakes out. I've been bugging him to sell me one of the prototypes. When he is done I want one of the originals, which I had the pleasure of trying after he had already changed the specs and the LE had been shipped. Imo he would have had great success if he had left the original design as it was. All the input about too high door shape, slippery handle, etc. was wrong. The prototype was near perfect. To be fair to the testers, Eric decided on his own to make changes he thought were necessary to accommodate minor concerns but he did not allow time for another round of testing. Big mistake.

Eric is not one of us dyed in the wool wet shavers who have tried dozens of gaps and exposures. He focused on the job from an engineering perspective. If he had our feel for what is smooth and what is harsh re. prototype vs. LE, he would not have shipped the revision. I will bring my LE out for my next shave but it is definitely not one of my favorites. In any case I am in for the next revision.

That’s good to hear. Hopefully he can make it happen and work out the kinks in this razor. I feel bad for the guy who pretty much had a flawless razor in the prototype and just wanted to tweak it a bit for more aggressiveness and slightly better aesthetics. Two swings and misses. You know what happens on the 3rd one? I hope that he really gets to correct this razor and turns the fortunes of the Janus Toggle Project around. I might still be interested in an improved version if it comes to light....

Brought mine out yesterday for a spin. This time around I tried a Voskhod blade. Color me surprised. Great shave on 9. I tried the range of settings and none felt as good as wide open. 3 was good too and I didn't have to use a feather light touch but 9 was clearly the winner.

The Janus Toggle got a bad rap since the prototype was more comfortable than the production model, but the LE is a good razor. It feels about the same as my Wolfman WR1 or my Fatip Originale currently on the pass around tour.
IMG_0245.jpg

Thanks to my last PIF winner @nicked78 for the Voskhod blades he sent as a thankyou for the PIF. I had forgotten how good the Voskhod blades are.

Last edited:
Top Bottom