What's new

Hello from the Great White North

Hello B&B, my name is Brad. Like most, if not all of you, I shaved my entire life with cartridge razors and canned shaving cream, enjoyed endless irritation, ingrown hairs, etc. Once this pandemic started, as a first responder I was required to be clean shaven everyday so my mask would fit / work properly. Wearing a mask all day isn’t overly comfortable, especially over irritated skin. I did a quick google search on how to get better shaves and found wet shaving. I watched a few videos and read some articles for beginners and thought, that looks like it would be more enjoyable and bonus you save money over cartridges (what a tease that was).

So in March 2020, I began my wetshaving journey. I started with the official wet shaving DE beginners kit: an EJ DE 89, a Parker Badger brush, Proraso sensitive (white) shaving cream and balm and a sampler pack of blades. The shaves were better but it took me a bit to get consistent shaves with less or no irritation. I’ve found the blades that work best for me and rarely get irritation now.

Then while searching for articles to learn how I could improve my skills, B&B kept showing up and I found the posts to be the most helpful so I’ve been a lurker here ever since. First off, I want to say there are a ton of knowledgeable and helpful members on this site and reading all of your wisdom you pass along sure has helped me a ton, thank you. Second, I had never heard of any artisan companies or realized how much hardware and software wet shaving had until I found B&B (my bank account and wife thank you as well). I thought I would be content with my starter kit for ever, boy was I wrong. I haven’t been infected to the extent as many others on here with BAD, SAD, RAD, etc, but boy is it a struggle some days haha.

Thanks to all the reviews and posts I’ve read on here, its really helped me buy some quality gear I enjoy without wasting a lot of money. A key thing for me being new to wet shaving was buying samples of blades and creams / soaps instead of buying dozens of soaps and thousands of blades that I possibly wouldn’t like some or many of them. The first 2 soaps I bought blind as the scent profiles sounded like I would enjoy them and didn’t overly care for either of them so rarely buy soaps without sampling or smelling first. I have bought several samples going off what I think I would like and from the rave reviews on B&B and am so glad I did because there are quite a few I was going to buy based on the cult following on here that didn’t like at all and ended up loving some that I would never have tried based on the scent profiles but got based on the love on here. Unfortunately there are so many great bases and scents that I liked so many and bought quite a few right away. I think I had a minor case of SAD but figured it out luckily before it got out of control. I think I’ve got a fairly nice collection started with a dozen soaps and aftershaves from companies like A&E, B&M, DG, Dr Jons, Murphy and McNeil, Noble Otter, PAA, Stirling and Zingari Man. I also have some TOBS creams which I really enjoy. I have only got two brushes other then the Parker I bought initially (which I don’t like as the handle is way too small), a Yaqi synthetic from my wife for Christmas which I enjoy and am super excited about my new Chisel and Hound with a Badger knot I just ordered, can’t wait for it to arrive 🤤. I also decided to get a more efficient razor as the DE 89 gives me irritation free shaves most shaves as I’ve found the blades that work for me but it is a little too mild for me so very excited for a Timeless .95 Titanium to arrive. I hope this doesn’t open rabbit holes into RAD and BAD and I will be content with not needing anymore but I have a feeling the enablers on here will steer me to the dark side. I think (hope) my plan for this year is to not buy a whole bunch of new gear, enjoy the gear I have already. I may pick up a soap and aftershave or two if a new scent comes out that I must have, but hopefully will control myself, I know famous last words on B&B.

Well thanks for taking the time to read my long winded introduction. I’m very excited to be a part of this group and continue learning and pass on any wisdom I pick up along the way.

Last edited:
Thanks gents. I’ve enjoyed lurking and learning but am excited to learn more from being involved in the discussions.

Thanks Mark, I’ll try my hardest to not fall, too deep at least, into the rabbit holes... hopefully

Last edited:
Welcome Brad! I love my Timeless SS .68 SB razor. If you are unhappy with the .95 base I think you have 30 days to exchange it. It definitely sounds like your wet shaving journey is well underway.

Welcome aboard Brad! Like @South Dakota Guy I have a Titanium Timeless .68SB and love it. Take advantage of Timeless' 30 day return policy if the .95 does not work out as mentioned above. I tried one and found I got extremely close shaves, but had irritation so determined it wasn't for me. YMMV! Be cautious and watch the rabbit hole, I didn't and fell in deep, but I don't regret my actions. It's been a great learning experience. There is ton's of information here on B&B and everyone is helpful. For most of us the phrase "Been there done that!" applies and we can offer some guidance. Enjoy your journey!

Thanks gents for the warm welcome!
Welcome aboard Brad! Like @South Dakota Guy I have a Titanium Timeless .68SB and love it. Take advantage of Timeless' 30 day return policy if the .95 does not work out as mentioned above. I tried one and found I got extremely close shaves, but had irritation so determined it wasn't for me. YMMV! Be cautious and watch the rabbit hole, I didn't and fell in deep, but I don't regret my actions. It's been a great learning experience. There is ton's of information here on B&B and everyone is helpful. For most of us the phrase "Been there done that!" applies and we can offer some guidance. Enjoy your journey!
Welcome Brad! I love my Timeless SS .68 SB razor. If you are unhappy with the .95 base I think you have 30 days to exchange it. It definitely sounds like your wet shaving journey is well underway.
I went with Timeless over several other makers for several reasons but a huge part was the 30 day trial period, that is a bonus.

Top Bottom