What's new

Slant Aggressiveness Ranking

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I am quite surprised at the low rating for the Wunderbar. Its a beast of a razor. But it is quite smooth. If this list took "efficiency" into account, I think it would be quite different. The Wunderbar is a fairly aggressive and efficient razor, but its smoothness masks that quite a bit. I had a ton of slant razors, and the Wunderbar is the only one I have kept.

I would actually disagree. The Yaqi has a lot of blade feel, and is extremely efficient, but is not particularly aggressive.

I use mine in a daily 3 pass shave with no nicks, irritation, or anything bad. Smooth sailing.
I'm with @CzechCzar on this. The Yqqi looks scary, and when you start shaving with it the blade feel makes it feel scary, but it turns out to be very efficient but not very aggressive. I've yet to have any cuts, nicks or irritation from it. So far I've only used it with Personna Israeli Red blades. They are my go-to blade with a new razor, but I've generally found them to be quite similar in performance to Gillette Platinum or Silver Blue blades. I often use Bic Platinum and Feather blades, but I haven't tried those in my Yaqi as I find them to be a bit sharper and to add a slightly more aggressive edge to a razor that the Yaqi doesn't need.

I'm with @CzechCzar on this. The Yqqi looks scary, and when you start shaving with it the blade feel makes it feel scary, but it turns out to be very efficient but not very aggressive. I've yet to have any cuts, nicks or irritation from it. So far I've only used it with Personna Israeli Red blades. They are my go-to blade with a new razor, but I've generally found them to be quite similar in performance to Gillette Platinum or Silver Blue blades. I often use Bic Platinum and Feather blades, but I haven't tried those in my Yaqi as I find them to be a bit sharper and to add a slightly more aggressive edge to a razor that the Yaqi doesn't need.
Obsviously, it's the blade that makes the difference. The Personna Platinum is a mild one that's why it performs good in the Yaqi. I wonder how good would be a Voskhod in this one.

It seems that when the manufacturers alter their slants, they all go milder. I have a newer 37c and It is only slightly more aggressive and efficient than the 34c.
However the German 37 which is based on the old 37C/39C head, is so much better than my Merkur 37C.

I would like to contribute here, as I own an ATT S2 (the open comb). This is the only slant I have ever owned, after a mild merkur 23c and a very aggressive fatip piccolo (both non slant).

I find the ATT S2 to be just the best razor I have ever used. It is very effective, but doesn't upset the skin, which I think this is what is all about. I never understood aggressiveness per se. If you can shave effectively and deeply without being harsh on the skin, it is just the best of both worlds.

So much so that I sold all other razors I had. No point in alternating if you are already using the best.

Having said that, if you misuse the ATT you are going to slice your face.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I find the ATT S2 to be just the best razor I have ever used.

I completely agree. I've got a few that come close, but the S2 is above them all. I've got even more that are fair shavers and I enjoy using them, but when it comes down to cases I'm grabbing the S2.

O.H.

I completely agree. I've got a few that come close, but the S2 is above them all. I've got even more that are fair shavers and I enjoy using them, but when it comes down to cases I'm grabbing the S2.

O.H.

I wad glad to see the FOCS finally made the list, but still no sign of the Fatip FCCS. I'm curious where that one falls on the list.

I wad glad to see the FOCS finally made the list, but still no sign of the Fatip FCCS. I'm curious where that one falls on the list.
I alternated murker 37c with FCCS for a while.
Comparing FCCS and murker 37c
FCCS efficiency is better than 37c
Aggression and blade feel are no higher than the 37c, it should be said to be comparable. But the smoothness is better than 37c. P_20220420_100215.jpg

I only have one OC slant, and that is the Fatip Lo Storto. I would say it is every bit as aggressive as my Muhle R41….YMMV of course.

Attachments

• 84CB78CA-ABB3-4DAE-86E2-85F0ECD5C86C.jpeg
    84CB78CA-ABB3-4DAE-86E2-85F0ECD5C86C.jpeg
    764.5 KB · Views: 10
  • CF26E226-A7E9-4A91-9952-A5F397878628.jpeg
    CF26E226-A7E9-4A91-9952-A5F397878628.jpeg
    658.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 0F818E72-3B1F-4C5E-9E97-A30C5D8BD6EB.jpeg
    0F818E72-3B1F-4C5E-9E97-A30C5D8BD6EB.jpeg
    623.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 3A6D78C4-0BC3-4E3A-ADD1-FCF94931A2C7.jpeg
    3A6D78C4-0BC3-4E3A-ADD1-FCF94931A2C7.jpeg
    966.9 KB · Views: 10

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Well that is a very helpful list on the slant razors, I only have 3 slant razors and really enjoy them. They are very efficient and folks could over shave with them, My first BBS was with the Razorock German 37 and I find a 2 pass shave is all I need with a slight pickup works well.
1/ Razorock German 37 slant, nice mid range.
2/ Razorock Wunderbar slant, upper mid range, steep angle approach(riding the bar) + short handle with a light touch gives stellar results.
3/ Yaqi slant, aggressive range, steep angle approach(riding the bar) + short handle + a blade shim under the primary blade (lot of blade reveal under this slant) with a light touch gives one of the best shaves of any of my razors IMO.

Also with any aggressive razor don't come in hot or plunking at the start of a stroke on your face, it will bite almost guaranteed .
Razorock is coming out with their new Super Slant razor shortly to add to the category list from mild > aggressive list shortly and I'm not sure if the REX Konsul adjustable has been added to the list yet.
@Old Hippie you have a Rex Konsul adjustable slant what do you think of it as a slant razor (how do you place a adjustable on this list??)

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Well that is a very helpful list on the slant razors, I only have 3 slant razors and really enjoy them. They are very efficient and folks could over shave with them, My first BBS was with the Razorock German 37 and I find a 2 pass shave is all I need with a slight pickup works well.
2/ Razorock Wunderbar slant, upper mid range, steep angle approach(riding the bar) + short handle with a light touch gives stellar results.
3/ Yaqi slant, aggressive range, steep angle approach(riding the bar) + short handle + a blade shim under the primary blade (lot of blade reveal under this slant) with a light touch gives one of the best shaves of any of my razors IMO.

Also with any aggressive razor don't come in hot or plunking at the start of a stroke on your face, it will bite almost guaranteed .
Razorock is coming out with their new Super Slant razor shortly to add to the category list from mild > aggressive list shortly and I'm not sure if the REX Konsul adjustable has been added to the list yet.
@Old Hippie you have a Rex Konsul adjustable slant what do you think of it as a slant razor (how do you place a adjustable on this list??)
Very curious to see how you would compare the Wunderbar to the Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant!

What is the purpose of the shim under the blade please Ron?

Ron R

Very curious to see how you would compare the Wunderbar to the Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant!
The Yaqi is mostly a blade feel shave & as I shave using the safety bar as a regulator or adjustable on the fly as I shave where the RR Wunderbar has more helix torqued blade angle and certain areas of the blade seem to change a little more for my self but you can master that razor also riding the bar using it to regulate blade feel on certain area's of my face. The Wunderbar is a well designed slant and built to last also with 316 Stainless steel with high quality control.
The Wunderbar is more gentler to the operator if a error is made with technique to the face but you will respect the Yaqi more so a reduced amount of nicks and weepers learning it IMO. My technique has matured over the years & I change to a steep angle approach with all my aggressive razors seems to work well for myself.
The Yaqi slant is more aggressive but the results are very similar at the end of the shave IMO. Also the Yaqi slant is easy to load the blade but harder to remove the blade because of the side plates on the top cap (I use a Q-tip to catch the corner of the blade to help in removing the blade.) as where the Wunderbar is slightly easier but care is still needed.
The list that has been generated tells it all and a very enjoyable thread to read, I like slant razors myself and there is something about them that can make them more efficient IMO but a person can get similar results with any razor when they figure out their razor and bring out the full potential.
The Wunderbar slant and Yaqi slant are excellent razors when a person figures them out with their technique, the reason I keep mentioning steep angle approach or riding the bar because it might help someone along the learning curve who could be a greenhorn like myself at one time learning.

Ron R

What is the purpose of the shim under the blade please Ron?
I like using a shim with my Yaqi slant to reduce any chatter or dampen the sound that is generated, I have shaved with and without shim & just prefer the shim(it does create more aggression in theory:laugh:.)Any razor with a large blade reveal can cause issues because there is a blade clamping distance effect IMO and a shim supports the bottom of the primary blade slightly better, basically creating a crude thicker blade effect.
Safety_Razor_Parameters_around_Blade_Cutting_Edge.jpg

I like using a shim with my Yaqi slant to reduce any chatter or dampen the sound that is generated, I have shaved with and without shim & just prefer the shim(it does create more aggression in theory:laugh:.)Any razor with a large blade reveal can cause issues because there is a blade clamping distance effect IMO and a shim supports the bottom of the primary blade slightly better, basically creating a crude thicker blade effect.
View attachment 1550543
Hmm I see, I tried to ride the cap with my Yaqi Slant and tore my face apart.
But you are right about the riding the baseplate method. Still aggressive, but more smooth. Need to find the right blade with it.

I also have the Yaqi Helmet, a beast.

Another thing about Yaqi Slant is that I can't really do buffing on the ATG pass. Feels scary.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've only used the ATT X1 AC Slant so far.... but the 37C will get here eventually.. and I have the PAA Filamont... I'll try that one soon.

I think the X1 falls into that "mild but efficient" category.... it provides a lovely shave for me.... I know it's not a DE slant, however.

Ron R

Hmm I see, I tried to ride the cap with my Yaqi Slant and tore my face apart.
But you are right about the riding the baseplate method. Still aggressive, but more smooth. Need to find the right blade with it.

I also have the Yaqi Helmet, a beast.

Another thing about Yaqi Slant is that I can't really do buffing on the ATG pass. Feels scary.
I do not buff a lot either with the Yaqi slant, with a sharp blade buffing might not be needed near as much. For the Yaqi Helmet it is a beast and that is one aggressive razor and I use a steep angle approach(riding the bar) with a short handle.
The reason I like a short handle is less leverage, quicker response to changing face contours + when getting near the collarbone area of my neck my razor is still in the steep position seems to work with any aggressive razor for less chance of weepers & nicks.

Top Bottom