What's new

New stainless DE recommendation?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Hi all, and happy new year!

I’m after my first ‘proper’ stainless steel DE, after around 6 years of using a small selection of typical chromed alloy models.
I tend to enjoy more aggressive razors, and out of my current 7 razors it’s only the R41 and RazoRock Mentor that really see any use. On the milder side I have an EJ89, and Merkur 33C and 39C that don’t get used at all - I end up over-shaving and irritating my skin with these three, as they’re just not efficient enough. I am a daily head and face shaver, and love the Mentor’s usability on consecutive days. The R41 is a great razor, but if I use it a few days running, I always end up with irritation. On this basis, I don’t know which new razor to go for - Game Changer, Muhle Rocca, Karve CB, EJ 3one6, 6S etc etc. My wife is unlikely to be too chuffed if I buy multiple options, so I’d be keen to hear recommendations!

Thanks up front for any suggestions!
Chris.

You may also want to check out my comparison of several razors (including the Karve, GC84-SB, RR Lupo and others) in the USD75 - USD125 price range:

YMMV :cool:

You may also want to check out my comparison of several razors (including the Karve, GC84-SB, RR Lupo and others) in the USD75 - USD125 price range: YMMV :cool:
Hi @never-stop-learning, I've been reading your "comparative" thread with great interest and would like to thank you for the reviews in it, very helpful indeed.

I know that Tatara razors fall out of the price range category in your thread, but for some bizarre reasons I'm falling in love with their looks. I'm particularly interested in the Nodachi one which is more aggressive.

At this point, I'm so undecided between Karve (C and D SB), Gamechangeer .84, and Tatara Nodachi. I know that I will eventually get all of them in the long run, but for the immediate need I need to make a decision very soon. I'd like to replace my slant 37C with something smoother and more efficient. Main criteria are 'smooth' and 'efficient' for heavy growth of 3-4 days over sensitive skin.

Thanks for any advice!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Hi @never-stop-learning, I've been reading your "comparative" thread with great interest and would like to thank you for the reviews in it, very helpful indeed.

I know that Tatara razors fall out of the price range category in your thread, but for some bizarre reasons I'm falling in love with their looks. I'm particularly interested in the Nodachi one which is more aggressive.

At this point, I'm so undecided between Karve (C and D SB), Gamechangeer .84, and Tatara Nodachi. I know that I will eventually get all of them in the long run, but for the immediate need I need to make a decision very soon. I'd like to replace my slant 37C with something smoother and more efficient. Main criteria are 'smooth' and 'efficient' for heavy growth of 3-4 days over sensitive skin.

Thanks for any advice!

I do not have the Nodachi - yet. ;)

You can't go wrong with either the Karve SB-B&C or GC84-SB. In my Den, I reach for the Karve more than the GC84. :)

YMMV :)

In my Den, I reach for the Karve more than the GC84. :)

Thanks, so I would take it that you prefer Karve over GC84, even slightly so. I think majority of reviewers would give an slight edge to Karve. If you don't mind, could you please list your top 3 razors in the 'comparative' thread for smoothness and efficiency? much appreciated!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, so I would take it that you prefer Karve over GC84, even slightly so. I think majority of reviewers would give an slight edge to Karve. If you don't mind, could you please list your top 3 razors in the 'comparative' thread for smoothness and efficiency? much appreciated!

Please tell me more about your personal 'smooth' and 'efficient' scales (razors you've shaved with that fit into each category). With this info, I will, hopefully, be able to offer you more complete information. Also, I have not completed my comparisons so any comments may be premature. The RazoRock GC84-SB is on tap for today and the RazoRock Lupo Stainless 0.95-SB is up to bat on Saturday. I'll me compiling my notes and offering my opinion of each razor from there.

I can say, without reservation, that the Karve Brass (Plates from B to F in SB, B, C and F in OC; short and long handles; standard and widebody caps) will remain in my 'frequent' rotation. The GC84-SB, as good as it is, may possibly get bumped from my 'frequent' to 'occasional' group by the new Lupos.

There are a number of razors in this price range that are absolutely worthy of your consideration. My advice is to try and shave with as many of them as you can. Let YOUR face be the final arbiter. :)

Last edited:
I'm surprised to hear that you find the Rocca not easy to use, but I guess it comes back to the YMMV motto that qualifies much of what we say on this forum. I find the Rocca to be one of the easiest razors to use. Of the razors I'm currently using, the only one that might be easier to use is the Edwin Jagger 3ONE6. The other 4 (see list below) all require a bit more concentration:
  • Fatip Open Comb Slant (FOCS)
  • Yaqi Double Open Comb Slant
  • Gem MMOC
  • Enoch AC Single Edge
I find I have to pay more attention to what I'm doing with the Rocca than the 6S. It requires very little pressure. I only really started to learn the art of putting little pressure after I got the Rocca. It forced me to.
The Rocca is very smooth and efficient. I had a four days growth and it removed it like it's butter - there was dragging or pulling - so smooth. It's addictive! The problem for me starts going ATG. But it's not the razor at fault - it's me not using it correctly or not being used to it. I probably shouldn't even use this razor ATG.

It makes the Rocca an exciting razor to use. It's like owning an animal of prey. You have to know the animal behaviour and handle it with care because if you don't you might get easily bitten. heh

I find the 6S easier to use, milder, more forgiving of bad (or lack thereof) technic, which is not a bad thing. It's the razor I reach the most so far. But as others have reported it can get a bit boring. I don't mean in a pejorative way, though. I like the 6S a lot. My favourite plate is R5 - don't care for the other plates much.

My favourite razor by far though is the Rocca.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The GC84-SB sure put its best foot forward today. :cool:
shave 20210115_143011_2.jpg

Excellent shave! :cool:

Please tell me more about your personal 'smooth' and 'efficient' scales (razors you've shaved with that fit into each category)...... My advice is to try and shave with as many of them as you can. Let YOUR face be the final arbiter. :)

Thanks a lot! Unfortunately, I have not used any razors except for Slant 37C and Merkur 34C. I'd like to try a few razors that belong to a much higher tier.

By 'efficiency' I mean taking as much growth as possible with one single stroke of a razor thus minimizing the need to buff. A single stroke by Muhle R41 may taken down X amount of grown, but the Slant 37C would require 2 - 3 stroke to achieve the same. I'm looking for a razor that would require minimal number of strokes to achieve a close shave so that I wouldn't have to go back to the same spot over and over.

For 'smoothness', I think it refers to a degree of comfort as the blade is gliding over the face as opposed to harshness or irritation. The other way of saying it is that the razor is not tugging or lagging.

Mind you that the soaps I use provide the maximum protection and slickness. What I'm missing is a razor or a collection of razors with teeth so to speak, a real lawn-mower.

I understand that there are so many good razors that would satisfy my needs. Karve, RR GC 84 or Lupo's, Timeless, Ikon, Blackland, Tatara, and Rex are a few that keep getting mentioned more often.

I just want to make sure that the first couple of razors I am getting my hands onto would not disappoint and serve my immediate need for an effective razor.

Except for Razorock, any other razors mentioned above cost on average in $150 - $250 Canadian dollars, I don't mind spending money on a tool that would bring me joy in this hobby and make my face look better. I just want to spend it wisely.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks a lot! Unfortunately, I have not used any razors except for Slant 37C and Merkur 34C. I'd like to try a few razors that belong to a much higher tier.

By 'efficiency' I mean taking as much growth as possible with one single stroke of a razor thus minimizing the need to buff. A single stroke by Muhle R41 may taken down X amount of grown, but the Slant 37C would require 2 - 3 stroke to achieve the same. I'm looking for a razor that would require minimal number of strokes to achieve a close shave so that I wouldn't have to go back to the same spot over and over.

For 'smoothness', I think it refers to a degree of comfort as the blade is gliding over the face as opposed to harshness or irritation. The other way of saying it is that the razor is not tugging or lagging.

Mind you that the soaps I use provide the maximum protection and slickness. What I'm missing is a razor or a collection of razors with teeth so to speak, a real lawn-mower.

I understand that there are so many good razors that would satisfy my needs. Karve, RR GC 84 or Lupo's, Timeless, Ikon, Blackland, Tatara, and Rex are a few that keep getting mentioned more often.

I just want to make sure that the first couple of razors I am getting my hands onto would not disappoint and serve my immediate need for an effective razor.

Except for Razorock, any other razors mentioned above cost on average in $150 - $250 Canadian dollars, I don't mind spending money on a tool that would bring me joy in this hobby and make my face look better. I just want to spend it wisely.

Thank you for elaborating. :)

Sent you a PM with a couple of additional questions. :)

I also find that milder razors lead to irritation whereas razors with plenty of blade feel do not (despite being less smooth).

As has been suggested further up in this thread the 6S is a stellar razor (I have 3). They are supremely comfortable and efficient.

However, a better match is probably the Edwin Jagger 3One6. Like the R41, it is handsome and very efficient. It has less blade feel (but still plenty) and is markedly smoother and more comfortable to use and less likely to irritate than the R41. The 3One6 is nigh on the perfect stainless steel, non-adjustable razor.

The Rocca is my favorite double edge razor. No DE I have used gives me as close a shave. Like you I prefer aggressive razors, and I only like to do two passes. The Game Changer Open Comb is smoother than the Rocca but I don't get quite as close a shave. I didn't care for the Rockwell, due to the large head, but it certainly gives you a wide range of choices in terms of aggressiveness. The other razor I considered before buying the Rocca, at a similar price point, was the Blackland Dart, but I've never shaved with one.

Another alternative you might consider is the new Artist Club single edge Classic Shaving Enoch. It matches my Rocca for closeness, but it is much smoother.

Good luck!
I'm going to revise my conclusion based upon recent shaves with the Rocca and a Feather blade. I would put the Rocca and the Enoch as equals in both closeness and smoothness. I've got a Blackland Dart on the way, and I'll be interested to see how it compares to the others.

Top Bottom