What's new

What is the significance of your Avatar?

My avatar is the graphic silhouette of my classic car; A 1973 Volvo 1800ES

6D078037-3B48-4BAA-99C4-51EF1E5B81A2.jpeg

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Obviously I selected this picture for my avatar because the young man with the horns is terribly handsome, charming and suave. When we went to the new program it got a little blurry, but it's clear on my page under media.

I'm a trumpet player (duh) and a retired band director, born in 1951.
Were you a school music teacher/marching band director?

If I visit your church will ya put me up? I have gotta get outta Michigan! That is beautiful.

Actually not my church. We live two counties away. It's Mountain View Methodist Church where I know a lot of people through Walk To Emmaus and they have lots of talented bluegrass musicians. So it is like a destination church
This is the view from town where we are moving. Narrows Va
1610653543262.png

Owen Bawn

Actually not my church. We live two counties away. It's Mountain View Methodist Church where I know a lot of people through Walk To Emmaus and they have lots of talented bluegrass musicians. So it is like a destination church
This is the view from town where we are moving. Narrows Va
View attachment 1208586
Beautiful scenery. "Narrows" as in narrow gap between the hills, I suppose? In the south you call those glacial turnbacks between the hills a "gap." In New England we would call it a notch. Out west they'd call it a "pass," I think.

Beautiful scenery. "Narrows" as in narrow gap between the hills, I suppose? In the south you call those glacial turnbacks between the hills a "gap." In New England we would call it a notch. Out west they'd call it a "pass," I think.

A narrow passage in the New River which runs through town. In the old days, it meant a ferry could operate on the river. A major rail line parallels the river.
That's Big Horse Gap in the picture. I got rescued during a snow storm on the Appalachian Trail there many years ago. Narrows is home to dirt cheap real estate. You can get a house for less than $100k. It's a quiet little town.

Owen Bawn

A narrow passage in the New River which runs through town. In the old days, it meant a ferry could operate on the river. A major rail line parallels the river.
That's Big Horse Gap in the picture. I got rescued during a snow storm on the Appalachian Trail there many years ago. Narrows is home to dirt cheap real estate. You can get a house for less than $100k. It's a quiet little town.
I knew a guy who taught at VPI in Blacksburg & lived in Pembroke- that's near you, isn't it?

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
My avatar is my first car. A 1985 Mercedes 300D. I still miss that diesel tick in the morning.
ME TOO! A 1984 300 TD. Our grown children have fond memories of waking up to the clatter of that engine warming in the garage. Built like a bank vault. Thank you recalling a lovely time.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Mine is Christy Mathewson, one of the original five members of baseball’s hall of fame. A devout Christian who never pitched on Sundays. An amazing man captured in his youthful exuberance, this reflects my love of God, family, history, baseball, a close shave, and the wholesome pleasure of doing what you enjoy.

Owen Bawn

Mine is Christy Mathewson, one of the original five members of baseball’s hall of fame. A devout Christian who never pitched on Sundays. An amazing man captured in his youthful exuberance, this reflects my love of God, family, history, baseball, a close shave, and the wholesome pleasure of doing what you enjoy.
Gassed in WWI, he died in 1925 after contracting TB in his weakened lungs as a result of long term respiratory damage from the gassing.

Top Bottom