What's new

College Football

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Ohio was in second place in their division. Indiana was in first place.
Do you really follow college football during the regular season?
Indiana was #1 with a 6-1 record. Ohio was in second at 5-0. Indiana played enough games to get into the conference championship based on the requirements the B1G set forth at the beginning of what became their season. The minimum number of games required at that time was 6. Ohio didn't play 6. It's pretty simple. I'm sorry you still fail to grasp the fact that the B1G had to change their rules to get Ohio into the Conference Championship (which they shouldn't have been in based on the fact they didn't even win their division).
Ohio is given special treatment time and time again.
"Ohio" and "Ohio State" are two different universities with their own football teams.

Owen Bawn

No one wants to take me up on my bet that LSU couldn't beat the 1880 Yale team? Maybe you're not as stupid as they said you all were.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I would bet the farm that LSU could not possibly defeat a Yale team from the 1880s.
Brother, I have no idea how Yale was in the 1880's.....but I'm sure they couldn't have played University of Michigan in football, because the only teams they played were hi skool teams!

Owen Bawn

Brother, I have no idea how Yale was in the 1880's.....but I'm sure they couldn't have played University of Michigan in football, because the only teams they played were hi skool teams!
To this day Princeton and Yale have more national championships than any other teams.

(LSU couldn't beat the Yale team of 1880 because the Yale players have all been dead for 80 or more years, but don't tell any of our SEC friends that.)

FarmerTan

To this day Princeton and Yale have more national championships than any other teams.

(LSU couldn't beat the Yale team of 1880 because the Yale players have all been dead for 80 or more years, but don't tell any of our SEC friends that.)
U of M fans ALWAYS brag about their winningest record. I'm pretty sure they played sand lot teams until 1900. Anybody that would show up.

FarmerTan

U of M fans ALWAYS brag about their winningest record. I'm pretty sure they played sand lot teams until 1900. Anybody that would show up.
I should have also added that they didn't constantly play Kollege teams until after WW2.....

I'm making most of that up. I'm not still bitter about scUM fighting to keep MSU out of the B1G, lol.

But not too many years ago (okay, about 25ish) MSU beat UM, ended the season with a better record, and STILL were rated lower at season's end!

No, I'm not bitter! Lol, when Mark Dantonio gave his speech about pride coming before the fall, who knew it was going to be a prophecy?

Remind me to tell you why my Dad loved Woody Hayes and OSU sometime. I have to believe it's a true story that I have not been able to verify, but it effectively soured my Dad, who lived in and around Ann Arbor for most of his first 30 years, on UM athletics his whole life.

My blood pressure is actually up! Lol! I blame YOU, Owen!!!

FarmerTan

I’m walking. :spidey:
You guys crack me up. Reminds me of a story. A true one, too! Ya gotta love small town farm country.

My little brother is quite a character. He got that from dad. He walks into a bar in our little town and sees a drinking buddy, and a guy who's hair I cut. Salt of the earth. Do anything for anybody kinda guy. So my brother sees that the DeeTroit Tigers is on Fox Sports Detroit on the bar's TV set. Tigers are down like 8 runs in the 8th inning. This guy had been there awhile. So my brother walks up to him, buys him a beer and says "I got a good feelin' on this one. I'll bet ya the Tiger's pull this out. 20 bucks." Joe says, "Okay, yer on."

Of course it's a rebroadcast of last night's game. Even says so on the lower half of the screen. After the Tigers pull it off, Joe pays up, says, "That was last night's game wasn't it?" My brother should've had his but kicked, but Joe was a good sport. And he had seen my little brother fight, lol. Heck, he's probably beat up half the town!

I'm pretty sure Joe wouldn't take back the twenty. Seems like my brother told me he said, "a bet's a bet."

FarmerTan

You guys crack me up. Reminds me of a story. A true one, too! Ya gotta love small town farm country.

My little brother is quite a character. He got that from dad. He walks into a bar in our little town and sees a drinking buddy, and a guy who's hair I cut. Salt of the earth. Do anything for anybody kinda guy. So my brother sees that the DeeTroit Tigers is on Fox Sports Detroit on the bar's TV set. Tigers are down like 8 runs in the 8th inning. This guy had been there awhile. So my brother walks up to him, buys him a beer and says "I got a good feelin' on this one. I'll bet ya the Tiger's pull this out. 20 bucks." Joe says, "Okay, yer on."

Of course it's a rebroadcast of last night's game. Even says so on the lower half of the screen. After the Tigers pull it off, Joe pays up, says, "That was last night's game wasn't it?" My brother should've had his but kicked, but Joe was a good sport. And he had seen my little brother fight, lol. Heck, he's probably beat up half the town!

I'm pretty sure Joe wouldn't take back the twenty. Seems like my brother told me he said, "a bet's a bet."
And if you could hear my impression of Joe you'd crack up. Sounded a lot like Truman Capote.

Only because the National Championship was only 'played' between Ivy League for over 31 years (1869-1900) . And there are several where multiple schools are National Champions with the Ivy League. Since the turn of the 20th Century, they have a combined 15, with several of them being co-champions.
Neither school has been able to claim a NC since 1950.

FarmerTan

Only because the National Championship was only 'played' between Ivy League for over 31 years (1869-1900) . And there are several where multiple schools are National Champions with the Ivy League. Since the turn of the 20th Century, they have a combined 15, with several of them being co-champions.
That's because the Ivy League skools are so busy studying that they don't get to practice.

Plus, a LOT of their players also play semi-pro Quidditch. They offered me a contract, which I turned down because it would have messed up my disability insurance payments.

But I coulda been a contenduh!

Owen Bawn

As my Harvard friend says, they are not the national champions because they have elected not to be national champions. If winning the national championship in football was important to Harvard, Yale, & Princeton they would win it every year.

That's because the Ivy League skools are so busy studying that they don't get to practice.

Plus, a LOT of their players also play semi-pro Quidditch. They offered me a contract, which I turned down because it would have messed up my disability insurance payments.

But I coulda been a contenduh!

Seriously.. The whole Ivy League recruited athlete thing is sort of comical. Except for hockey, they recruit mediocre athletes (those who weren't recruited by competitive programs), many with mediocre grades, so they can win the Ivy League.

That said... I think this is the direction that most conferences are moving towards. Say what you will but the Board of Regents at many academically inclined universities put priority on athletics just to the extent it drives alumni gifts. College Football may be a big deal in the Midwest, but it ain't big like it is in the South. Add to that recruiting will continue to favor the better programs with less stringent academic requirements, add to it the whole transfer portal thing, I just don't see how anyone could compete with the powerhouse programs.

I love college athletics, particularly Hockey and Football. Love, love, love gameday. But I wouldn't mind seeing more pro teams in the NFL with a promotion/relegation arrangement like the Soccer leagues in the UK. This would provide athletes who really aren't all that interested in a 4 year college to make a living.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
AP College Football Rankings: Greatest Programs of All-Time

Coaches Poll College Football Rankings: Greatest Programs of All-Time

Top Bottom