What's new

What is the significance of your Avatar?

Mine is the face of Sean Connery from the poster for The Hunt For Red October. Big fan of his Bond movies, including the shaving scenes and gadgets. Overall a very accomplished actor and quite the role model for comporting yourself like a gentleman. And since this is a board for gentlemanly pursuits, well there ya go.
I’m a big Connery fan. I loved his Bond movies but also his other movies like Hunt for Red October, Rising Sun, The Presidio and The Man Who Would Be King. Didn’t care much for Searching for Forrester.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
It is barely possible, if our beloved Techmatics came out in 1964, and the Gemini IV mission is 1965... 🤔

Yet most (not us!) would let the Techmatic float away. And Apollo is what made it famous, a few years later.

A Superspeed was first in space, I think, but the subject isn't fresh in my mind. Could be wrong.

AA
The Gemini and Apollo astronauts never shaved in space. They always returned looking a little rough. Here are the Gemini XII crew immediately after splashdown. Click the pic to enlarge.
Gemini_12_recovery.jpg

My Rainbow...
This is my very first picture with the first mobile Nokia that carried a camera.
By accident I pushed the button the camera was shooting very close - almost touched- at my thumb's nail with the flash... and that was it.

The photo was like a rainbow and a rainbow represents the optimistic part of life.

The Gemini and Apollo astronauts never shaved in space. They always returned looking a little rough. Here are the Gemini XII crew immediately after splashdown. Click the pic to enlarge.
View attachment 1208352
The Techmatic debuted in 1965 but wasn't considered by NASA at that time. Later, for the moon missions, I believe, they were looking for a razor with an enclosed/integrated blade that didn't need to be manually handled or rinsed and couldn't accidentally "escape" and pose a danger in the space-craft.
Gillette Techmatics accompanied the astronauts on the Apollo 11 and 12 missions. They used them aboard the space-craft.
Michael Collins was actually filmed shaving aboard the command module during Apollo 11 in 1969.
I've never heard the story of the Superspeed, but if any one would know, it'd be Ad Astra!

My avatar is a tribute to one of the greatest actors of his generation, James "Jimmy" Maitland Stewart.

I guess what I most admire about him, besides him being an exemplary family man, is the fact that he voluntarily enlisted in the Army to fight in the WW2. He did so despite the fact he was already a Hollywood superstar at the time.

Jimmy took part in real battles, real fight. He was not there as a Hollywood celebrity to entertain troops. He stayed with the USAF until retiring from active service in 1968. He reached the rank of Major General.
James Stewart - Wikipedia

He was a man of great fame, yet a man humble and servient to his family, his community and his country.

And well... he had that true gentleman's charm and lived in the good ol' times when men wore tailored suits and shaved at barber's... and started their day by reading the morning papers.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The Techmatic debuted in 1965 but wasn't considered by NASA at that time. Later, for the moon missions, I believe, they were looking for a razor with an enclosed/integrated blade that didn't need to be manually handled or rinsed and couldn't accidentally "escape" and pose a danger in the space-craft.
Gillette Techmatics accompanied the astronauts on the Apollo 11 and 12 missions. They used them aboard the space-craft.
Michael Collins was actually filmed shaving aboard the command module during Apollo 11 in 1969.
I've never heard the story of the Superspeed, but if any one would know, it'd be Ad Astra!

Here you go.

"The breakthrough came in May 1969 aboard Apollo 10, the last mission before the lunar landing. First John Young, then Tom Stafford and Gene Cernan, homeward bound and taking advantage of the hot water available on the Apollo command module (9) advised Mission Control they were performing scientific experiment “Sierra-Hotel-Alfa-Victor-Echo” This transparent code-name was their light-hearted effort to let friends and family but not the press know that, thanks to brushless shaving cream and a safety razor, they would emerge from their spacecraft clean shaven after their eight-day mission."

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator

It came up last year, when a bunch of us used Techmatics on the anniversary of the July 1969 moon landing. Fun and educational.

A bit in the weeds for an avatar-explanation thread, but thread-veer is the reason I get up in the morning! :cuppa:

AA

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Obviously I selected this picture for my avatar because the young man with the horns is terribly handsome, charming and suave. When we went to the new program it got a little blurry, but it's clear on my page under media.

I'm a trumpet player (duh) and a retired band director, born in 1951.

It came up last year, when a bunch of us used Techmatics on the anniversary of the July 1969 moon landing. Fun and educational.

A bit in the weeds for an avatar-explanation thread, but thread-veer is the reason I get up in the morning! :cuppa:

AA
I’ve hijacked or participated in the hijacking of many threads. I appreciate a well executed hijacking, especially when the material is as interesting as this was.

Top Bottom