What's new

Wet shaving....with an electric razor

I didn’t even know this was possible! Wet shaving with an electric.

Would have thought there’s an electrocution risk. :)

I had a roommate in college a couple of decades ago who would use talcum powder. He’d get a fantastic shave. In fact better than all of us in the hostel using carts and foam.

Electric shavers that are designed to be used wet are powered by Lithium Ion batteries that have to charged with house current. The shavers will not work while plugged into the electrical outlet.

I never used straight talcum powder as a preshave, although it might work fine. I used a specially designed electric pre-shave stick which was a powder.

just performed a light touchup using the arc5 following my beard map and bang!! BBS again in 38 seconds!! This razor is amazing. With my mediterranean beard - it's more like a lightning fast growing barbed wire - i have never been able to be clean cut at 7 pm without looking like Sweeney Todd. Now.. i can!!! (And my wife does appreciate too). I'm definitely sold on this razor now.
View attachment 1091775

Is your touch up shave wet or dry?

After a LOT of experimentation, the best result for me is a Braun Series 3 ProSkin with Gillette Foamy in the travel-size can before showering. As someone else said about their favorite combination, it's like magic. Can get a very close shave with no irritation, which about 10 years ago became a huge problem on my neck after replacing a Braun Activator with the original Braun Series 7. Both were used dry. No idea why the Foamy in the travel can is different than the same stuff in the regular-size can, but for some unknown-to-me reason it is significantly better. Nivea Men foams are a close second, and Proraso in the white can next. And on the newer Series 3, be sure to get the #32 replacement cassette, not the #21.

Just for info, what's the difference between the #32 and the #21? They look the same to me.

The #32 comes on the newest Series 3 ProSkin models and has a white plastic "Micro Comb" around the central cutter that's flared out towards the two main cutting foils. That change seems minor, but I think it actually does help the shave a little. The #21 comes on the entry-level Series 3 300s and 310s models, and looks like the head that came on earlier Series 3 models. Both replacements are made in Germany and Amazon prices are very close, so I'd go with the newer #32.

The problem with Brauns- as they get more gimmicks in them to try to get smoother, more even cutting, the basic cutting elements keep getting worse and worse. Only their high end shavers are worth it, perhaps, and at that point, they had better be.

Proctor and Gamble has done little good with the Braun brand. They are Yankee capitalists, after all, and seem to lack pride in their products. Their basic M.O. seems to be about seizing popular IP and exploiting it for quick profits through social media campaigns and hype.

The problem with Brauns- as they get more gimmicks in them to try to get smoother, more even cutting, the basic cutting elements keep getting worse and worse. Only their high end shavers are worth it, perhaps, and at that point, they had better be.

Proctor and Gamble has done little good with the Braun brand. They are Yankee capitalists, after all, and seem to lack pride in their products. Their basic M.O. seems to be about seizing popular IP and exploiting it for quick profits through social media campaigns and hype.

I will agree about the gimmicks. When you get right down to it the actual cutting function hasn’t changed very much in over 70 years. The engineers have to come up with “improvements” to get you to buy a new shaver. The biggest improvement was recharable batteries. Other than replacing the screens and cutters, the batteries are eventually going to wear out. The AC versions lasted for decades only requiring replacing the screens and cutters. Another improvement is multiple cutters and screens. I started using Braun shavers in the early 1970s and they had one cutter and one screen. I’m not convinced that more screens and cutters actually improve the quality of the shave. Adding the articulating heads and a trimmer and you have the modern electric Braun shaver. BTW the same can be said for both Phillips and Panasonic shavers.

There’s not any difference between a “Yankee capitalist” and a British nor any other capitalist. All of them are driven by revenue and profits. Both Panasonic and Phillips are Japanese and Dutch capitalist companies. The biggest profit increasing gimmick in recent years is the cleaning station. Somehow, the manufacturers have convinced some people that your shaver needs to be antiseptic clean when you shave. An electric shaver works like a scissor and not like a razor blade. That’s the advantage of an electric shaver, safety and convenient shaving without water. By shaving dry everything can be easily brushed out from the shaver head. Applying water and chemicals just makes things worse.

I rinsed my previous Panasonic shaver weekly under running water to clean it and it developed an odor even though it has stainless steel cutters and screens. My Braun shaver, according to the owners manual, requires a weekly application of mineral oil if you use it wet to prevent corrosion. Using it and cleaning it dry hasn’t done anything to degrade the quality of the shaves and there’s no odor. This methodology has worked for me since Richard Nixon was President. However, a cleaning station requires the consumer to purchase fluid regularly which keeps the profits rolling in to Proctor and Gamble or which ever evil corporation who made the shaver.

Last edited:
Had a great shave tonight with a can of Noxzema menthol and my Bruan 3040 proskin.

That’s great to hear. I fiagure that by the time I wash my face, spread on the shaving cream, shave and then rinse my face and the shaver, the question is, why bother. I can shave dry and tap out the cassette in five to six minutes. No fuss and no mess.

Tried wet shaving with the electric this evening. Floris JF soap on the EJ badger. Quite comfortable. Quiet messy. Probably won't shave this way again. I prefer a pre-shave.

Tried wet shaving with the electric this evening. Floris JF soap on the EJ badger. Quite comfortable. Quiet messy. Probably won't shave this way again. I prefer a pre-shave.

Glad to hear it was comfortable and I assume close. I haven’t tried it and don’t think I will because i assume it would be messy and it defeats the reason for electric shaving. No water required, fast and no mess. I have been tempted to try it in the shower. Has anyone tried electric shaver in the shower? In the shower you’re already wet and soapy.

One of the reasons I bought a Panasonic shaver a few years ago was a picture on the box of a beautiful blond woman shaving a guy while they were both in the shower. Unfortunately, when I opened the box it only contained the shaver. 😩

Reactions: ctr
Glad to hear it was comfortable and I assume close. I haven’t tried it and don’t think I will because i assume it would be messy and it defeats the reason for electric shaving. No water required, fast and no mess. I have been tempted to try it in the shower. Has anyone tried electric shaver in the shower? In the shower you’re already wet and soapy.

One of the reasons I bought a Panasonic shaver a few years ago was a picture on the box of a beautiful blond woman shaving a guy while they were both in the shower. Unfortunately, when I opened the box it only contained the shaver. 😩

I would need a good divorce attorney if that came in the box!

I prefer dry personally. Tried Afta and Lectric shave. Like Afta better but the scent is quite strong.

I would need a good divorce attorney if that came in the box!

I prefer dry personally. Tried Afta and Lectric shave. Like Afta better but the scent is quite strong.

I have been shaving dry with electric shavers since the early 1960s. I used an electric shaver powder stick pre-shave in the past. I haven’t used anything for the last thirty five or so years. The biggest change caused me to give up on preshave was good central air conditioning which keeps my face dry.

I've got a new ARC 4, but I've left it at work. I've wet shaver with it and can confirm the shaves are really comfortable with or without shave soap, cream etc.

I've got a new ARC 4, but I've left it at work. I've wet shaver with it and can confirm the shaves are really comfortable with or without shave soap, cream etc.

I assume that at work you shave with it dry. Have you shaved wet without shaving cream or shaving soap, just water such as in the shower?

Top Bottom