What's new

College Football

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Yeah, I'm in Michigan. It's a from state, and for good reason. Winter from October 15th to April 15th. And the Mosquito is the state bird.

The irony is that untold numbers of migrants from the south, including members of both mine and my wife's family (all of whom were poor tenant farmers) followed the "Hillbilly Highway" to the industrial north after WWII looking for work and a better life. Now of course over the past 20-30 years, as the manufacturing jobs have dried up, folks from the north are moving south looking for jobs, lower taxes, and warmer weather.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
A sight better than not receiving any votes at all. I’m not sure we even have a hoockey team.

I don’t recall any hookey games breaking out at the boxing matches either.
I've been in quite a few pickup basketball games that I wish I had boxing gloves on for!

Check that: I should have said I wished I'd had goalie pads on!

Our collective intelligence is rapidly declining in this country. Do people really have no idea that someone pays for everything? TANSTAAFL.
No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Edit: See what happens when I dont read all of your post. you had the acronym right there.

Most of the teams you listed did not win five in a row to start their season. In terms of the teams you listed playing more than six games, of course yes, the majority would have wanted to. Had they not, with a loss, they wouldn't have been considered for the playoffs at all. Had Ohio State had a single loss this season they would have been out of the running. I still have no idea how Notre Dame got in after losing a game the last week of the season. They must have given more weight to beating a depleted Clemson team than they should have. So back to the teams you listed...

I'm not sure I understand your logic here....

Texas A&M lost their second game of the season, so a 4-1 record isn't getting you in the playoffs, so of course they would want to play more games. It's not easy to win 5 games in a row.

Florida lost their third game, so again 4-1 isn't getting you in, so once more they play more games for a chance to get in or they are out.

Georgia lost their fifth game, so another 4-1 team that won't get into the playoffs, so they would definitely want to play more games as well.

Alabama - undefeated and in the playoffs, deservingly so.

Notre Dame - lost their 11th game to Clemson and destroyed by Alabama in the playoffs. I didn't think they should make it in with such a late season loss, but you assured me in an earlier post, that they were better than Ohio State. Had Notre Dame stopped after a 5-0 record they likely would not have made the playoffs. They got a lot of recognition for beating Clemson in week 7. Before that win they were on the outside looking in. So they would have wanted to play more games as well.

Clemson - lost their 7th game to Notre Dame (impacted by Covid). At full strength they got destroyed by Ohio State in the playoffs. They would have been in with 5 games played had they won them all, just like Ohio State. Same deal with Alabama had the SEC played 5 games they would not have been left out.

I'd understand if you were lobbying for Coastal Carolina or Cincinnati to get in, having more wins and still being undefeated and all, but you're looking at SEC teams that have multiple losses and haven't even matched the 6-0 record that Ohio State posted in their first six games. No two loss team has ever made it into the playoffs and a late season loss usually excludes you as well.

If you think that Ohio State fans, players or coaches wanted their team to play less games then you are mistaken. This wasn't something that was chosen intentionally and it is not an advantage. Ohio State wanted to play from the very start and lobbied to let the BIG10 let them play. The BIG10 screwed this season up about as much as it possibly could have.

As far as not playing making you better, it doesn't work that way. Have you ever not studied for a test so that you'd do better. Reasoning, that you'd be fresher and more awake when you took it. Problem would be that without studying you would not know the material. No matter how fresh you are, you'd likely fail. Athletes train and play in order to get better, especially in team sports like football. They get better from week to week. If you could get better by not playing then the coaches likely wouldn't have practices. They'd just wrap the players up in bubble wrap and have them not do anything other than show up to play on game day.

Having coached several youth sports I can tell you that without practice you do not win your games consistently. You have to put in the work to get better. Sure there is a risk that someone can get hurt putting in this work but that's all part of it. You can get hurt during practice or in the weight room, or even walking down the street. Playing more games and having more practice time is an advantage. It's certainly not without risk but it's what makes teams better. The hard part is working your way through these games, especially the early ones, without a slip up. It's a lot easier to lose an earlier season game before everyone is working together as they should be. It's not easy to win your first 5 or 6 games in a row at this level. Look at the teams you mentioned above as the majority of your own choices didn't pull it off.

With less games if you happen to lose even one game then you're out. In playing more games it's an advantage. Clemson and Notre Dame both got in with a loss. Had they only played 6 games and went 5-1, I don't think they'd have been in the playoffs. Had Ohio State lost even one game they'd be watching the playoffs from the outside.

After Bama wrecked Ohio, I think it's pretty clear that Ohio had no business being in the game. ND played much better against Bama. And don't whine and cry that it was because of key players getting hurt. It happened to every team throughout their full season. Ohio didn't play a full schedule, and had an advantage.
And crying about how A&M lost one of their first 5 games is irrelevant, because they played a full schedule. Ohio didn't.
Ohio didn't even win their division. You keep glossing over that. And you keep glossing over the fact that the B1G said at the outset, teams had to play 6 regular season games to be eligible for the Conference Championship, and Ohio didn't even make that.

I wish DeVonta Smith hadn't gotten hurt so early in the 3rd, because I would have loved to seen Bama run up to the 60 point range against a team that was handed an undeserved spot in the CFP.

The defending national champions, a/k/a the greatest team in CFP history, have the night off.

Not even close to the greatest. Bama's team this year is the greatest. Jones had a better season than Burrows, Bama broke multiple SEC records, broke multiple CFP records, and won more awards in a season than any team in history. Oh, and they played an 11 game SEC schedule, with no fluff teams from OOC.
Your Tigers are again relegated to the back of the line in college football. Well, you can go ahead of Ohio State since you are an SEC team.

After Bama wrecked Ohio, I think it's pretty clear that Ohio had no business being in the game. ND played much better against Bama. And don't whine and cry that it was because of key players getting hurt. It happened to every team throughout their full season. Ohio didn't play a full schedule, and had an advantage.
And crying about how A&M lost one of their first 5 games is irrelevant, because they played a full schedule. Ohio didn't.
Ohio didn't even win their division. You keep glossing over that. And you keep glossing over the fact that the B1G said at the outset, teams had to play 6 regular season games to be eligible for the Conference Championship, and Ohio didn't even make that.

I wish DeVonta Smith hadn't gotten hurt so early in the 3rd, because I would have loved to seen Bama run up to the 60 point range against a team that was handed an undeserved spot in the CFP.

I'm not going to cry or whine about anything. Alabama was the better team on that particular night. They played exceptionally well. In terms of players getting hurt, it happens. Trey Sermon left the game with an injury on the very first play. Had he stayed in I'm not saying that they would have won the game but maybe they might have faired a little better. Had DeVonta Smith stayed in then maybe the margin of victory would have been greater. We can't argue what would have happened as we have no way of knowing for sure. I can tell you that Alabama was better prepared for this game. Ohio State was out coached and out played in the National Championship game.

I'm still not sure how you claim that Ohio State didn't win their division. I didn't gloss over it as they did win their division. They won the Big10 East then went on to win the conference championship. If they didn't win their division then please tell me who did? Indiana? Ohio State did beat Indiana giving them their only loss. I'm not sure where you're getting this information from. They were undefeated during the regular season. The six game thing was a BIG10 rule that the teams voted to change. Prior to that rule change, Ohio State won their division but weren't going to be allowed to play in the conference championship because of this technicality. The conference teams voted on this to allow the division champion to play for the conference title as it should have been in the first place. There wouldn't have been a BIG10 season without Ohio State lobbying to play. The conference couldn't have screwed the whole thing up any worse than it did as it was a complete mess.

I'm not surprised by the outcome of the championship game. I was more surprised that they played as well as they did against Clemson. The reason for my lack of confidence wasn't a lack of talent but a lack of time playing together. The thing you thought was the biggest advantage was, in my opinion, the exact opposite. I'd be lying if I said I went into the Alabama game feeling confident. More of an "unprepared but let's see what happens here" attitude as the talent and athleticism is definitely there, but the number of games played was a concern for an entirely different reason that you had. I do not see this as an advantage.

I'd would have much rather had an Ohio State team that played 12 games before facing Alabama. Some more time to play together and get the quirks worked out could have been helpful. It takes time for a team to gel as I mentioned earlier. With the Alabama team several of the players that could have exited for the NFL stuck around to make a run for a championship. This makes a huge difference.

As stated previously, I still firmly believe that the extra games Alabama played this year were an advantage and not a detriment. Given the way this past year went down, I don't believe that there was a team out there that would have beaten Alabama this year, or at least not on that particular day. Had Ohio State had the opportunity to play a longer season, who knows, the outcome might have been different, but I don't know that for sure. I don't believe that Notre Dame stood a chance against Alabama or Ohio State as they couldn't get past Clemson. The last time Notre Dame beat Ohio State in football was 1936. Texas A&M, nope again, as they played Alabama earlier in the year and got blown out just the same.

Did Ohio State deserve to be there, I believe that they did. There is a big gap in talent between the top three teams and everyone else and this gap is getting wider every year. I'd say their position was especially validated after the game they played against Clemson. Notre Dame didn't beat Clemson this soundly and couldn't beat them at full strength. Had Clemson won that game vs Ohio State I can assume that their fate against Alabama would have yielded the same result that Ohio State incurred.

Alabama is in the mix every year and they were a good deal better than everyone else this year. Their victory was impressive, so no excuses from me, I can look at it and obviously see that on that night that Ohio State got outplayed and lost to a better team. So congratulations to Alabama on an excellent season and a well deserved championship.

Next year, unless one of these three teams somehow suffers two losses, then you'll likely see Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State again. It'll be these three along with one other unknown team in the mix for the championship.

Not even close to the greatest. Bama's team this year is the greatest. Jones had a better season than Burrows, Bama broke multiple SEC records, broke multiple CFP records, and won more awards in a season than any team in history. Oh, and they played an 11 game SEC schedule, with no fluff teams from OOC.
Your Tigers are again relegated to the back of the line in college football. Well, you can go ahead of Ohio State since you are an SEC team.

If you chant that enough and mutter about those da$& strawberries enough, you might convince yourself, and no one else, it’s true.

If you chant that enough and mutter about those da$& strawberries enough, you might convince yourself, and no one else, it’s true.

For a team and fans that was so proud of metrics, it sure is funny that when all of them get beat, they still cling to their moment of glory when all those metrics get wiped out by a team that is superior in every aspect.

But you are free to 'feel' whatever you want. The proof of the better team, and program is easy to see: Bama has never had a losing season after winning a Natty. Bama has 18. 6 in the last 12 years.
Bama has been ranked #1 98 weeks since Saban came to town. That's 74 more weeks than all the other #1 ranked teams.
Bama broke the season average PPG. Mac Jones out performed Burrows in QBR. Mac Jones out performed Burrows in the Nat'l Championship game: More yards thrown for, more points. And if Smith hadn't have injured his hand, I guarantee that Jones would have broken, instead of tied, the 5 passes for TD's, which Burrows was the second QB to do.
Oh, and Bama did all that playing an all SEC schedule, while LSU played several cupcake OOC games last year and Burrows was able to pad his stats. There were games where Mac Jones only played 3 quarters.
Like I said, you keep feeling that LSU somehow measures up to Bama, because your feelings are not based on any factual information.
Oh, how was your bowl game? LOL!!!! Even the Ragin' Cajuns made a bowl game.. Guess Louisiana can hang their hopes on them to regain a modicum of respect for the state...

Oh, Greene is as delusional as you are. Don't even need to watch it it see that all he is doing is whining, much like you.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the teams had similar talent but the difference was in the coach. Ohio Stares coach couldn’t get his team up after leaving it all on the field last week. Nick could get the Dallas Cowboys up every week to go undefeated...well maybe not the Cowboys, but you get what I mean.

I'm not going to cry or whine about anything. Alabama was the better team on that particular night. They played exceptionally well. In terms of players getting hurt, it happens. Trey Sermon left the game with an injury on the very first play. Had he stayed in I'm not saying that they would have won the game but maybe they might have faired a little better. Had DeVonta Smith stayed in then maybe the margin of victory would have been greater. We can't argue what would have happened as we have no way of knowing for sure. I can tell you that Alabama was better prepared for this game. Ohio State was out coached and out played in the National Championship game.

I'm still not sure how you claim that Ohio State didn't win their division. I didn't gloss over it as they did win their division. They won the Big10 East then went on to win the conference championship. If they didn't win their division then please tell me who did? Indiana? Ohio State did beat Indiana giving them their only loss. I'm not sure where you're getting this information from. They were undefeated during the regular season. The six game thing was a BIG10 rule that the teams voted to change. Prior to that rule change, Ohio State won their division but weren't going to be allowed to play in the conference championship because of this technicality. The conference teams voted on this to allow the division champion to play for the conference title as it should have been in the first place. There wouldn't have been a BIG10 season without Ohio State lobbying to play. The conference couldn't have screwed the whole thing up any worse than it did as it was a complete mess.

I'm not surprised by the outcome of the championship game. I was more surprised that they played as well as they did against Clemson. The reason for my lack of confidence wasn't a lack of talent but a lack of time playing together. The thing you thought was the biggest advantage was, in my opinion, the exact opposite. I'd be lying if I said I went into the Alabama game feeling confident. More of an "unprepared but let's see what happens here" attitude as the talent and athleticism is definitely there, but the number of games played was a concern for an entirely different reason that you had. I do not see this as an advantage.

I'd would have much rather had an Ohio State team that played 12 games before facing Alabama. Some more time to play together and get the quirks worked out could have been helpful. It takes time for a team to gel as I mentioned earlier. With the Alabama team several of the players that could have exited for the NFL stuck around to make a run for a championship. This makes a huge difference.

As stated previously, I still firmly believe that the extra games Alabama played this year were an advantage and not a detriment. Given the way this past year went down, I don't believe that there was a team out there that would have beaten Alabama this year, or at least not on that particular day. Had Ohio State had the opportunity to play a longer season, who knows, the outcome might have been different, but I don't know that for sure. I don't believe that Notre Dame stood a chance against Alabama or Ohio State as they couldn't get past Clemson. The last time Notre Dame beat Ohio State in football was 1936. Texas A&M, nope again, as they played Alabama earlier in the year and got blown out just the same.

Did Ohio State deserve to be there, I believe that they did. There is a big gap in talent between the top three teams and everyone else and this gap is getting wider every year. I'd say their position was especially validated after the game they played against Clemson. Notre Dame didn't beat Clemson this soundly and couldn't beat them at full strength. Had Clemson won that game vs Ohio State I can assume that their fate against Alabama would have yielded the same result that Ohio State incurred.

Alabama is in the mix every year and they were a good deal better than everyone else this year. Their victory was impressive, so no excuses from me, I can look at it and obviously see that on that night that Ohio State got outplayed and lost to a better team. So congratulations to Alabama on an excellent season and a well deserved championship.

Next year, unless one of these three teams somehow suffers two losses, then you'll likely see Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State again. It'll be these three along with one other unknown team in the mix for the championship.

Ohio was in second place in their division. Indiana was in first place.
Do you really follow college football during the regular season?
Indiana was #1 with a 6-1 record. Ohio was in second at 5-0. Indiana played enough games to get into the conference championship based on the requirements the B1G set forth at the beginning of what became their season. The minimum number of games required at that time was 6. Ohio didn't play 6. It's pretty simple. I'm sorry you still fail to grasp the fact that the B1G had to change their rules to get Ohio into the Conference Championship (which they shouldn't have been in based on the fact they didn't even win their division).
Ohio is given special treatment time and time again.

Top Bottom