What's new

Jotter cards

Both Crane and Dempsey & Carroll make what they call Jotter Cards which are basically the size of a 3 x 5 index cards on exquisite paper. I think Crane prints theirs, and D & C engrave theirs. American Stationery has some, which they call Chits, and can be thermographed or letterpressed.

Does anyone use anything like these? What do you use them for? Are they simply the equivalent of a really expensive scratch pad for shopping lists?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I don't have any, and never have had, but off the top of my head...

Revision notes
Cue cards for speeches
Research index cards (bookmark you can write page and paragraph references on)
Task management "to do" cards
Thank you notes for online sellers
"If found, please return to..."
Recipe cards

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Never heard of “Jotter cards”, but it’s a cool idea. Sounds like what most people use sticky notes for. I also like pocket notebooks for that sort of thing.

I don't have any, and never have had, but off the top of my head...

Revision notes
Cue cards for speeches
Research index cards (bookmark you can write page and paragraph references on)
Task management "to do" cards
Thank you notes for online sellers
"If found, please return to..."
Recipe cards

I was actually thinking about something along these lines today. I have a history of using just about anything at hand for bookmarks, like business cards that are no longer current.

My first thought was to buy a new set of personal cards, then I realized that I would also want room to make notes since I have a dislike of writing in my books. So, maybe some semi personalized lined jitters might be in my future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"which they call Chits"

We used chitties when I was a young apprentice engineer. If you needed anything from the stores you'd get a chity from the shift foreman and then hand it in at the stores. About the size of an old pack of 20 smokes. Ah the good old days.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Sounds like they'd be great for "thank you" notes when you don't really have anything to say other than "thanks for the thing, it was great!"

Seems kind of silly writing that on an *' x 11" and leaving the rest blank.

"which they call Chits"

We used chitties when I was a young apprentice engineer. If you needed anything from the stores you'd get a chity from the shift foreman and then hand it in at the stores. About the size of an old pack of 20 smokes. Ah the good old days.

Bit of a tangent, but when you tried to draw the kit out if stores, did the fellow running it make it clear to you that you were a complete nuisance who had no right to bother them with your trivial requests?

Or was that just the stores people I met?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I just received 4x6 extra think cards off Amazon called super thick by NorstromDumati
Very impressive cards. Feels like poster board thickness.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've just ordered some cheapo index cards, and am hoping they work with fountain pens, without too much feathering. The reason I ordered them was for creative writing.

I'm currently working on a novel, which may end up being a trilogy, and an idea for a TV series too. The plan, is to write down all the key moments and plot events on individual cards, and shuffle them into the right sequence. This should (hopefully) be helpful in managing the content better of large writing projects. I can "seed" elements for later events, and see in advance where the plot may be a little lean or overcrowded, and takes steps to plan the approach to those areas better. Or indeed, develop additional plot elements as needed for the leaner areas, and make sure the preceding storyline gives "space" for those things to happen.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I just received 4x6 extra think cards off Amazon called super thick by NorstromDumati
Very impressive cards. Feels like poster board thickness.
Thanks for this info.
These seem more in my price range, and nice quality.

Top Bottom