What's new

Karve Diem

Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.
1. What is the purpose of the "cutaway notches" in the top cap of the regular Christopher Bradley?
2. Anyone have a pic of a fully patina-ed brass Karve?
3. If I'm set on my next razor being all-brass, are there other makers I should consider in this price-point? (wish there was a brass Dart...)

Thanks!

I suppose the cutaway notches make it slightly easier to install/remove blades, since you can hold on to the dull edges. Not that this feature is truly needed though. I know the exposed ends are problematic for some folks, especially head shavers, but they've never caused an issue for me, and I like the visual aesthetics of the cutaways.

I'm working on my Karve patina, but it's developing slowly--more slowly than I expected. I remember seeing some here where folks forced the patina with vinegar or other solutions. They were stunning! But I'm in no rush.

Not sure what other brass models are currently available, but I highly recommend the Karve. I've got maybe 30 DE razors, but it's among my top 3. Maybe even my favorite (though I can be fickle).

Nice! I've only got the SB-C plate on mine. It was a good choice, for me, but I'm wondering how I'd like the other options. Looking forward to hearing what you think, but for now: Enjoy the anticipated delivery!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
new Karve on the way!

Material: Brass
Handle: 3.25"
Cap: Standard
Plates: OC-C, SB-D

excited to have a non-plated, all-brass razor to add to my collection,
and to enjoy the gradual patina process over time.

Two of my favorite plates. :)

shave 20201228_152847.jpg
shave 20210106_113606.jpg

new Karve on the way!

Material: Brass
Handle: 3.25"
Cap: Standard
Plates: OC-C, SB-D

excited to have a non-plated, all-brass razor to add to my collection,
and to enjoy the gradual patina process over time.

Congratulations corlay!

What's Karve's timeframe like these days, from Ordering to Ship fulfillment?

Thanks in advance.

I just got a Karve brass and I'm not too impressed so far. Quality seems very good,, but shave quality is not very comfortable. I've shaved with the B and C plate so far...D plate is tomorrow....all solid bar. Both shaves left my face sore. This doesn't happen with any of my other preferred razors (Blackbird, 3one6, Rocca, Yates, S1, etc). Not sure what's going on. Maybe the Karve needs a different technique than I'm used to using.

I just got a Karve brass and I'm not too impressed so far. Quality seems very good,, but shave quality is not very comfortable. I've shaved with the B and C plate so far...D plate is tomorrow....all solid bar. Both shaves left my face sore. This doesn't happen with any of my other preferred razors (Blackbird, 3one6, Rocca, Yates, S1, etc). Not sure what's going on. Maybe the Karve needs a different technique than I'm used to using.

Sorry to hear this! I'm a big fan of my SB - C brass Karve. I consider it moderately aggressive, and thus not as comfortable as say a Tech or an R89, but on the other hand it shaves a lot closer. I do find it comparable to the Rocca though.

What blades have you tried?

Karve OC C for me is one of the best; I use for head and face shaving. Interestingly the CC D I found irritating....(haven't used much). OC works well with any sharp blade. Patina: i don't care for it....and will sometimes polish it...

Sorry to hear this! I'm a big fan of my SB - C brass Karve. I consider it moderately aggressive, and thus not as comfortable as say a Tech or an R89, but on the other hand it shaves a lot closer. I do find it comparable to the Rocca though.

What blades have you tried?

Just got it this week so I've only tried an Astra at the moment. That is my go to blade for all my new razors. I haven't had this type of soreness after shaving in a very long time. I typically use some of what I would consider efficient razors and they are super comfortable to use. I'll keep with it. Maybe a new technique is needed with the Karve.

Item shipped from the Maker via DHL today,
so.... not too bad. (6 calendar, 4 business days)

received this evening! 2-day shipping from CAN? thats pretty sweet.

Held off on my shower/shave til tonight, in anticipation, while I worked from home today.

Such a nicely crafted razor.

matte-brass finish is lovely, and I look forward to developing a darkening patina over time.

Has some nice “heft” to it - which i do appreciate.

Started off with a Personna red, some MdC fougere, Simpson Berkeley, with the SB-D plate. Initally, I did notice a bit more “drag” acriss the skin compared to stainless razors, but I got used to it. Was mildly worried the D plate would be too aggressive, but that was not the case. WithTG was butter smooth with just a hint of blade feel. AgainstTG was equally smooth. I always have trouble with AcrossTG in general, and after a standard three pass shave, I lathered up a 4th time to try and touch up Across. Developed some weepers at the wind pipe area and left some irritation - but I was chasing something I really shouldnt have been.

Next shave in a few days Ill bust out the OC-C plate.

Overall a very nice tool! Recommended...

Last edited:
I lathered up a 4th time to try and touch up Across. Developed some weepers at the wind pipe area and left some irritation - but I was chasing something I really shouldnt have been.
Congrats on the new Karve Brass!
I have the same with the D-plate too and shave with a feather blade this morning. It is so buttery smooth but I learned just like what happened to you...don't go chasing for perfection..hahahaha. I used to think, wow so nice, smooth & comfortable, why not go for an extra pass/touch-up and that's how a perfect shave was ruined...sure get some weepers.
I would love to get an OC-C plate...enjoy yours!

I recently figured out that OC razors are a no go for me because I have a nasty habit of nicking myself constantly with them and they dont provide me any better shave than a close comb does, so instead of merely getting the close comb version of the F plate i use (and cleaning off the patina I forced) I decided to get a new complete brass razor and will eventually ship my old one off to a friend of mine out of state that I've been getting into the hobby

Top Bottom