What's new

Manual Typewriter Users?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
View attachment 1206543View attachment 1206544View attachment 1206545View attachment 1206546View attachment 1206547View attachment 1206548View attachment 1206549View attachment 1206550
I found mine in the shed. Olivetti Lettera 82 portable typewriter. It still works, didn’t take much to clean it up. The upper case lettering needs attention but where would you get it fixed these days?
Andrew:
Wish I 'hung-on' to my fathers typewriter...him being a lawyer, I fondly remember hearing my father 'bang away' at night in the office at home with such speed...using only 2 fingers (wow!!).
I, on the other hand...failed typing miserably (I can only managed to 'peck-away'...as we 'speak').
proxy.php

proxy.php
"The art of [typing] is the art of discovering what you believe". Gustave Flaubert

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Good stuff, I don’t think I have heard of that brand before. It is a good colour, I like it.

Legion

Staff member
Good stuff, I don’t think I have heard of that brand before. It is a good colour, I like it.
They were a Japanese brand, Made by Seiko.
At the time they were less expensive than the European models, but they were quite well made, and have lasted quite well.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It has lasted very well. I quite often see the really old ones from around the turn of the last century with the letter arms all stuck together against the paper roller. Looks like some mad composer has been playing a symphony on it.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I just was gifted two Underwoods. Have any of you guy ever dismantle one and rebuild it? I am going to attempt at least one of these bad boys!

Attachments

• 20210221_171959.jpg
    20210221_171959.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I just was gifted two Underwoods. Have any of you guy ever dismantle one and rebuild it? I am going to attempt at least one of these bad boys!
No. But VERY cool. I learned on a manual. Lol, kids think I got these strong fingers from cutting hair, but the truth is it's typing class of my Freshman year!

There are three old typewriters up in the loft/attic. Actually there are three or more of a lot of things in that attic. There is an Olivetti Lettera 36 electric, which was my post-college typewriter. I have an old Underwood full-sized and a Smith-Corona Silent portable. They all need cleaning but I could probably make them usable. I’ve been tempted to get the Smith down but I really don’t have anything to use it for. I’m not much of a letter writer but that would be the obvious use. Of course there are a couple of fountain pens for letter writing :) Post cards maybe?

I learned to type on a Universal. I work in an office with a couple people who are at least 25 years younger. They complain that I type too loudly

Top Bottom