What's new

Let's talk about styptic

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I keep a Clubman stick around 'just in case' I need something stronger than cold water and the alum block.

Haven't had to use it in a loooooong time. ;)

I don't have to use a styptic pencil often but when I do , I use my Clubman styptic pencil

1610230037904.png

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
F3119A84-F21A-4E42-BCD2-881E5C66007B.jpeg

Here is photo showing the expiry date of my Styptic Pencil. The only thing that I can think of with this one having an expiry date is that we may have different Pharmaceutical Laws here in Australia. I did buy this one from a Chemist and this may be why.

I have a "Boots" one (UK high street brand), and I'm glad not to have needed it much.

Well worth having around, though.

Proraso Styptic Gel! It is probably their best offering out of everything they sell tbh. I haven't seen any other gel form but basically it is a small tube of gel that you apply right onto a cut/nick. Give it like 10 seconds and it'll have done its thing, it might leave a crust but just use a bit of water to wash it away gently and you're good to go. Won't expire or dry out as long as you keep it sealed with the lid and keep it in a dry, cool area.

if its just for the odd weepers then its the alum block from the cooking isle at my local indian shop if its any worse then its
proraso healing gel a pin head size put direct on the nick does the trick .

Alumn block.
You should also use it after every shave anyhow,it does wonders.
Doubles as the greatest natural deodorant also.
A 5 EUR Osma block will last you a year.

I Googled “What is a styptic pencil” and found that most of them are made from Anhydrous Aluminum Sulfate or Potassium Alum. It turns out that there are a whole host of common items that have astringent properties. Aloe apparently has styptic properties. I found a homemade styptic on the Internet made from:
I’m no expert but I think aluminum sulfate is a totally different thing than potassium alum. It stops bleeding much faster and feels different ( although I use it maybe once a year and gave up the alum block completely). I would never run the styptic all over my face.

I’m no expert but I think aluminum sulfate is a totally different thing than potassium alum. It stops bleeding much faster and feels different ( although I use it maybe once a year and gave up the alum block completely). I would never run the styptic all over my face.
They are different minerals, and many avoid the aluminum sulfate because of the aluminum. I personally don't have a styptic pencil. But i use the alum block almost daily.

I keep a small styptic pencil (actually one, broken in half) in each of my dopp kits. A Proraso styptic gel lives with my daily shaving supplies. I love the gel, but it's hard to find locally.
I've never bought an individual styptic pencil; the ones I have all came in shaving kits.

Happy New Year to you, sir!

I use a Clubman styptic pencil. It's only the second one I've ever bought -- the first, purchased at a Walmart in 1986, lasted me for many years, mostly because I usually shaved with an electric. This one has broken into 2 pieces. I'm still using the end that's pointed like a candle, the way it came. A little bit of the stuff goes a long way. So one purchase should really last.
Same for me. Clubman, probably same vintage hope I never have to buy another. Rarely use it. Only for real bleeders. Minor cuts I prefer alum black blocks

The alternative to styptic is a good technique. Once you learn how to shave, styptic becomes obsolete.
That may not apply to everyone. I must say, I've never used or owned a styptic pencil or alum block, and I've been wet shaving 45 years. One key is, when I have to get up and out early, I shave the night before. That prevents early morning mistakes that happen when I'm half asleep or thinking about the upcoming day. Also, I use a mild razor. But most importantly, I've always had a relatively light beard. Those of you who have to fight to avoid Richard Nixon 5 o'clock shadow have a different situation. That's why I think you can't generalize about things like this.

View attachment 1206151View attachment 1206152
This is my current Styptic Pencil. I bought it many years ago from one of the local Chemist Shops. It actually expired March 2020. It is Australian made and has helped me out of some very interesting shaves. You can get Styptic Pencils from most Shaving Supply shops but I just happened upon this one day and grabbed it.

Hey I have also been using this brand. I buy it from a local pharmacy here in Brisbane.

Top Bottom