What's new

Razors being "boring"?

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
A few times I've encountered users that describe some razor as being very good but "boring". I wonder exactly what that means.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
For me it is nothing to do with rarity, monetary value, or performance, instead it means lacking in character or history - even an imagined history, a patina from previous owners; an intangible quality that is hard to explain. No new razors interest me for that reason but in fifty years those same razors might have more appeal. Likewise a NOS or perfectly replated example of a vintage razor, while it may be lovely, is lacking something and I prefer a used but lightly worn example. I also find TTO razors rather dull which is odd as some are very fine razors and certainly have character and history. Interesting question, I guess it is a personal thing 👍

Last edited:
I have a gentle close comb razor Pearl SS-09. When I was just starting out in wet shaving, it was good enough for me.

Now, after using some better razors, this razor is boring and somewhat meh for me because I usually chase DFS+ and hopes for BBS without irritation.

This razor will at most give me irritation free almost DFS shave daily, without risking any incident, but that is boring razor.

For contrast : I use Parker Variant Adjustable @ 3, 4 or 5 and Razorock BBS Stainless Steel.
So, these Razor will give me closer shave, albeit sometimes they tell me the flea in my skills.

M

member 119848

I already used this term when talking about the Rockwell 6S. (which is an excellent shaver and good value)
As stated above, what was meant is lacking character. Or "Mojo".

"boring" has a negative tone, there is surely a better term for it. How about Bauhaus? :biggrin1: (just kidding)

A tool that gets the job done with consistency, without making any distraction, is actually a good thing.

You know that thrilling and exhilatrating feeling you get when you drive your car really fast at the top of your ability, approaching a narrow curve and think to yourself "Do I have enough skill to pull this off? Is this the day I die? Then you increase your speed just a little more, pushing it. And in that short but glorious moment, your heart pounding and the rest of the world in slow motion, you feel like you are actually alive? That feeling.

That is the opposite of boring.

If boring means picking up a Gillette Tech in all its quality and simplicity and then proceeding to use it knowing that it will give me zero drama (cuts or weepers) with a smooth effortless perfect shave rendering a spa-like zen zone for me....

...then I will be bored for a long, long time.

I consider my broman boring and my oneblade core boring as hell

But in a good way!

Both are easy peasy comfy shavers giving a dfs without effort.

The core I consider Allmost idiot proof the biggest drunk cutting yourself risk is inserting the blade. So do that when sober ;-)

My qshave futul and Parker variant are on the opposite of the scale they give better results but make sure you are not 😴

You know that thrilling and exhilatrating feeling you get when you drive your car really fast at the top of your ability, approaching a narrow curve and think to yourself "Do I have enough skill to pull this off? Is this the day I die? Then you increase your speed just a little more, pushing it. And in that short but glorious moment, your heart pounding and the rest of the world in slow motion, you feel like you are actually alive? That feeling.

That is the opposite of boring.

Love this. However, out in the stable is a 1982 Honda GL 500. It's not especially fast, it doesn't handle especially well, but it is strongly built, very comfortable and reliable.

It can be lots of fun, while it can be very dangerous if you get stupid with it.

The same could be said of any razor.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Even the Hybrid Tech? ;)

To me, the early Techs (Pre-war through 1950s) are not boring at all. :)

No, no! You can spend a lifetime collecting non-boring Techs...

But if you razor-surf the bay, you will look at many x many boring razors to find one... My RFB took months of searching.

AA

I've been a DE shaver for around 6 years now and I can't think of any razor that was boring. I had some inefficient razors which can take me a bit more time to achieve BBS or razors that give me irritation etc, but never boring. I guess i'm relatively new to DE shaving and I don't own too many razor to get to the point of having boring razors. From what I understand, boring razors are razors which are very easy to use and which also shave you great every time without an issue. In that case, I wouldn't call those razors boring, but then again that's me. I do have a few razors which I like a bit more than the rest, but I also don't keep razors which I don't like or use.

If we talk about price and compare inexpensive to expensive DE razors, my take is that if a razor gets the job done I don't care if it's the most common razor on the market. Even though I rarely use straight razors, I think it's more reasonable to spend 200+$ for one than on a DE razor. After all some straights are entirely made by one person by hand while most DE razors are either molded or CNC machined.

Reminds me a bit of a car commercial (against bmw) where the driver opens the door and taps the road with his hand remarking “for that time you want to feel the road”

Top Bottom