What's new

Is there a buying frenzy going on?

I know you can't find Prince Albert anywhere? But now Carter Hall is getting hard to find in stock?

I'm wondering if it's this way for other pipe tobaccos? Or is this just a Middleton being shut down thing?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I know you can't find Prince Albert anywhere? But now Carter Hall is getting hard to find in stock?

I'm wondering if it's this way for other pipe tobaccos? Or is this just a Middleton being shut down thing?
I am stocking up as much as possible with bulk - going for quantity in anticipation of things to come. I’m even considering selling off some straight razors to fund the effort. The game is afoot. I only shave once a day but smoke a pipe several times a day. Prudence has never been one of my characteristics but it may be time to consider possibilities and options. Whatever happens, I’ll have tobacco at least.

Word on the street is PA had been discontinued. :(

So I'm now wondering why Carter Hall is out of stock at a lot of places now.

Are the PA smokers stocking up on it to replace PA?

Is Middletons distribution shut down right now and businesses can't get it?

I'm kind of wondering what's going on?

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
So I'm now wondering why Carter Hall is out of stock at a lot of places.

Are the PA smokers stocking up on it to replace PA?

Is Middletons distribution shut down right now and businesses can't get it?

I'm kind of wondering what's going on?

Good question. I guess if PA can be discontinued so could any of their other blends, which would leave the possibility that guys are stockpiling in case that happens. Milan Tobacconist says that CH isn’t discontinued tho.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
It's just the nature of pipe tobacco I think. Seems it is all cyclical. I think everyone went to the tobacconist to buy PA and found it gone (I wonder who bought it 🤔 😅) so they grabbed the CH instead.

I'm seeing Carter Hall all sold out on line?

So this is why I'm thinking it has more to do with Middleton than anything.

Middleton brands anyways. With the sudden disappearance of one brand, a little bit of panic buying. Another month or so Carter Hall will be cheap and plentiful again. Probably.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Prince Albert being discontinued is apparently an erroneous claim by a vendor advertising their PA Match.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Prince Albert being discontinued is apparently an erroneous claim by a vendor advertising their PA Match.
I hope so, but my local B&M has been told by their distributor (that does not sell PA Match) that Middleton sent a letter to distributors saying that PA and Carter Hall have both been placed on “indefinite backorder.” I’m down to a pouch and half of PA and can’t find any anywhere online or local.

Wait, Carter Hall too? When I went into Middleton's site last night, they said Carter Hall was the only one they were going to keep producing.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
This was the first time he has mentioned CH specifically. The PA we’ve discussed a few times so I’m pretty sure he believes what he’s told me. Maybe he was mistaken but he did say he can’t get CH right now either. He had 2 tubs of CH on the shelf and said his distributor told him not to expect anymore. I’m keeping an eye out for both and will probably buy it when I can find it.

They’ll probably both be back in the shelves in 3 months and this will be one of those rumors that surfaces every coupe of years.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
This was the first time he has mentioned CH specifically. The PA we’ve discussed a few times so I’m pretty sure he believes what he’s told me. Maybe he was mistaken but he did say he can’t get CH right now either. He had 2 tubs of CH on the shelf and said his distributor told him not to expect anymore. I’m keeping an eye out for both and will probably buy it when I can find it.

They’ll probably both be back in the shelves in 3 months and this will be one of those rumors that surfaces every coupe of years.
I hope you are correct but I won’t be surprised if they are actually discontinued. I did get 10 oz of the Sutliff Match Carter Hall and while the topping isn’t the same, once into the bowl, they are close. The Match is made from quality leaf and is much less costly to boot. The PA is very close.

........The Match is made from quality leaf and is much less costly to boot. The PA is very close.......

Exactly. Don’t know why everyone is getting their knickers in a knot. Sad to see an American staple disappearing, but if I can pay less for a higher quality product, seems like a no brainer. Also, I live in a communist state, so I can’t buy otc anyways at osco, Walmart, grocery store, etc. There’s smoke shops, but all they sell in my area is gross “smoker friendly” brand. I think I’d rather stick my hand in a hornet’s nest than smoking that garbage.

End of the day I have to get my pipe tobacco online, and I’d gladly pay more for a quality product, but quality product is less expensive.......

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

It’s a Middleton thing. I am seeing no issues getting STG OTCs (SWR & SWRA) or other similar codgers (Lane LLRR, Sutliff EGR, etc.).

PA is gone. Great if you have some. But not the end of the world if you don’t. I have consumed my fair share of it, and am not going to get upset over its passing.

As I suggested elsewhere, if you really like CH, you might want to start stocking up on it. Middleton appears uninterested in tobacco.

With recent events, it’s probably a good idea to stock up on lots of certain things.

The bigger problem lately is that USPS is now using ox carts for shipments. I just had a 3-day priority parcel (non-tobacco related) take an entire month. Use UPS or FedEx if you can.

It’s a Middleton thing. I am seeing no issues getting STG OTCs (SWR & SWRA) or other similar codgers (Lane LLRR, Sutliff EGR, etc.).

PA is gone. Great if you have some. But not the end of the world if you don’t. I have consumed my fair share of it, and am not going to get upset over its passing.

As I suggested elsewhere, if you really like CH, you might want to start stocking up on it. Middleton appears uninterested in tobacco.

With recent events, it’s probably a good idea to stock up on lots of certain things.

The bigger problem lately is that USPS is now using ox carts for shipments. I just had a 3-day priority parcel (non-tobacco related) take an entire month. Use UPS or FedEx if you can.

I just got into the pipes 7 months ago and have been trying to figure out what my tastes are. After realizing that I like PA & CH I decided to start stocking up on them about a month or so ago

Just my luck all this stuff goes down with these to brands and Middleton.

Didn't think about the USPS issues. Hopefully that is one of their hold up's and things will get back to normal.

I know some people are saying PA is done for good and some are saying it's not. You posted on here that you contacted them and Middleton said it's no longer in production.

So after buying all the PA I could find. I was on the lookout for CH. Was hoping to buy it where I had on line before. But it's all sold out. Checked a few other places on line and they are out as well.

Guess I'll go back to the one local smoke shop and buy them out of CH this weekend.

Hopefully in a few months the on line retailers will be re stocked and I can continue to do so as well.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

Im moving east to the western border of Where the *** are we. I buying as much bulk as I can afford then I’m going to tie a bunch of flies and fish my life away. It will take a good while for recent events to even find me.

Top Bottom