What's new

Doctor Who - Warning, Spoilers!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Just finished re-watching The Doctor Falls, hoping that good writing returns. I keep hoping. I couldn’t stand Capaldi’s first half of tenure, then they finally seemed to get there act together. Jodie can be a good actress- hopefully they start showing it.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Dr Who 2021. Who watched the special and who liked it. I recorded it and watched it once. Normally I would watch it again but this year I really couldn’t be bothered. What are your thoughts Gents?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Normally I would watch it again but this year I really couldn’t be bothered. What are your thoughts Gents?

The last season or more of the Capaldi run was more and more disappointing for me, and the final episode did a great disservice to the memory of William Hartnell, and I haven't had the motivation to watch anything since.

I've been watching the older shows, sure, but as for the "new" seasons, I've had zero interest.

Now I see news coming out of England that Jodi is leaving the series after this coming season. No word (yet) if Chibnal is leaving with her or not. (Most of the speculation is that Jodi was leaving of her own accord rather than this being a "push out" by the BBC; were it a "push" that could hint at the BBC being dissatisfied with Chibnal as well and wanting to push them both out ... but that not being the case it is conceivable that he may be able and willing to continue on with yet another "doctor".)

Disappointed to see Jodie go, and I blame Chibnall for the way the show has been structured. I saw commentary in the context of her reported pending departure that her character was never really given the chance to fully come together. 3 companions and the whole rewrite of the canon just kept her from being the center of the action. Hmmm...just like Moffat did to Capaldi with the whole Clara-Pink thing. We haven’t had the Doctor be truly the center of things since Matt Smith. That’s a very long time. Maybe they’ll do better next time.

As for the last ep, it was fine. I continue to be tired of the Daleks. As villains go, they’re an easy crutch. We could use a multi year hiatus from them like they did in the 70’s.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I liked the special. It's not something I'll watch over and over, but I enjoyed it.

Frankly, I've about made peace with the idea that no one is trying to make good television of Doctor Who, anymore. Too many masters to try and please, and too much competition. In order to keep it going, they have to sell something different. I'll keep watching it, and I hope that I keep enjoying it, and I expect there will be brilliant moments.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I continue to be tired of the Daleks. As villains go, they’re an easy crutch. We could use a multi year hiatus from them like they did in the 70’s.

Totally agree.

IIRC, the "Terry Nation Estate" required an annual appearance by the Daleks to allow the BBC to continue using them; presumably that would mean the TNE wouldn't use Daleks elsewhere outside of Dr. Who.

It seems like there are the three "obvious villains" the writers use as a crutch ... so whenever there's some convoluted plot where there's an evil "front man" and a "curtain" behind which you know the "real" villain is lurking ...

1610039496023.png

... we basically end up having little suspense. "Oh, it's the Daleks or the Cybermen or the Master." *yawn*. The Doctor will zap them with his deus-ex-screwdriver and win in the end.

We know they can do it if they want to. They did a great job with the multiepisode arc with the Great Intelligence during the Matt Smith era. For all that I don’t like their messing with the Canon and the Timeless Child arc, at least it ties back to The Brain of Morbius. It wasn’t created out of whole cloth. They can plumb the 57 years of shows and pull something out of a hat. There’s some really great series from the early Doctors they could use. Remember the first villain from the Eccleston reboot? Autons. Awesome. There’s more.

It is a pity to hear that Jodi could be leaving the show. I did like her as the Doctor. I liked her in Broadchurch as well.

Personally, it is also awesome to see the Doctor with a Northern England accent and shift the focus north to Yorkshire, similar to Torchwood and Wales.

Yes, messing with the canon wasn't good. I don't get the point of the Timeless child arc. Hopefully, the BBC will clean this up. Wait and see I guess.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Dr Who Flux starts in a few days time. Apparently a 6 part series only. Anyone up to speed on what is happening and interesting in watching the short series?

Good riddance:
Chibnall - You've shown us that you were not the right choice for a show runner
Jodi Whittaker - You're a good actress and the right choice for several roles but not this one.

Hopefully good riddance:
BBC's woke social agenda - Make your agenda preserving the Doctor Who legacy and good science fiction/fantasy storytelling.
The Chibnall era writers - enough said.

Last edited:
BBC America is broadcasting a binge of old episodes and I happened in Blink. It’s as good today as it was the first time I saw it.

Top Bottom