What's new

Do you apply a Fragrance in addition to your Aftershave? If so, when?

Do you apply a Fragrance in addition to your Aftershave?

• Yes

• No

• Occasionally

• Right Away

• One Hour

• Later

Results are only viewable after voting.
To this point I do not get the obsession of scented soaps over the performance / quality and it seems to me to be far more preferable to stick with unscented after shave and/or mildly scented or unscented soaps.

Interesting point. As I may have commented earlier in this thread, I tend to use unscented aftershaves (or very lightly scented, such as Lucido), in part because I do not want an aftershave competing or conflicting with whatever scent I put on that day. Also, in part, I suppose, because I think ingredients used to give an AS a smell are more likely to be irritating to my skin, which is fairly sensitive. But I tend to like fairly strongly scented bath soaps, such as Mysore Sandal Soap, any number or Portuguese bath soaps, and bath soaps like Duke's. And I do not think I have given much thought to how strongly scented a shaving soap is, and I am drawn to some based on both performance and smell. (I cannot remember prioritizing how an SS smells over how it performs. Martin de Candre is probably my favorite SS, and I think it performs very well, for me, indeed and smells really good.)

I guess I do not think of the smell of either a bath soap or or shaving soap as lingering for very long, but perhaps I am wrong.

If I am wrong, I have probably used way too much Arko SS over the years!

• Haha
Reactions: Avi
To this point I do not get the obsession of scented soaps over the performance / quality and it seems to me to be far more preferable to stick with unscented after shave and/or mildly scented or unscented soaps.
Well, it's not an either or thing, is it? I mean today, there are so many fabulous soaps that BOTH smell great and perform great, so why sacrifice either aspect of the enjoyable shaving experience?

For example, I love SV soaps as they perform better than any soap I have ever tried AND they also happen to smell great.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Interesting point. As I may have commented earlier in this thread, I tend to use unscented aftershaves (or very lightly scented, such as Lucido), in part because I do not want an aftershave competing or conflicting with whatever scent I put on that day. Also, in part, I suppose, because I think ingredients used to give an AS a smell are more likely to be irritating to my skin, which is fairly sensitive. But I tend to like fairly strongly scented bath soaps, such as Mysore Sandal Soap, any number or Portuguese bath soaps, and bath soaps like Duke's. And I do not think I have given much thought to how strongly scented a shaving soap is, and I am drawn to some based on both performance and smell. (I cannot remember prioritizing how an SS smells over how it performs. Martin de Candre is probably my favorite SS, and I think it performs very well, for me, indeed and smells really good.)

I guess I do not think of the smell of either a bath soap or or shaving soap as lingering for very long, but perhaps I am wrong.

If I am wrong, I have probably used way too much Arko SS over the years!

Lol'd. I absolutely agree with you. I have over 200 modern and vintage aftershaves. I pretty much was well into the collection and many years here before questioning, why I wanted all the differing scented aftershaves, when I could of just used a good unscented one instead and then have many different colognes, EdT's, body sprays instead.

If I could only do it over. :)

Well, it's not an either or thing, is it? I mean today, there are so many fabulous soaps that BOTH smell great and perform great, so why sacrifice either aspect of the enjoyable shaving experience?

For example, I love SV soaps as they perform better than any soap I have ever tried AND they also happen to smell great.

I think that at the point when a single vendor has greater than say 5 scents I get decision fatigue .. that probably just means I am a grumpy old man :)

And not plagued with an acquisition disorder. :) If I had as much toilet paper as I do shaving stuff...

Then again every time I need something ... btwn the price point of those Maggard samples and the need for free shipping I think I’m saving money or something right ? Ahem not a disorder .. ( things I tell myself )

Attachments

• C7F4C6DF-CBFC-4A00-8F10-E46562F17709.jpeg
    C7F4C6DF-CBFC-4A00-8F10-E46562F17709.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 7
I use thayers witch hazel as an AS then follow it with a scented AS unless it already has witch hazel in it. Or just a dab of cologne on my days off. Health care workers should not wear heavy cologne.

OkieStubble

Then again every time I need something ... btwn the price point of those Maggard samples and the need for free shipping I think I’m saving money or something right ? Ahem not a disorder .. ( things I tell myself )

Lol’d. Actually you’re doing it smart. I’d rather have 30 samples of soap I’m never going to finish, versus 30 pucks of soap I’m never going to finish. :)

OkieStubble

I use thayers witch hazel as an AS then follow it with a scented AS unless it already has witch hazel in it. Or just a dab of cologne on my days off. Health care workers should not wear heavy cologne.

I do the same. Thayer’s witch hazel on a cotton round then wiped on my face and neck after the shave. Then pants, shoes and undershirt, then AS splash to the face and neck before picking out shirt for the day. :)

I think that at the point when a single vendor has greater than say 5 scents I get decision fatigue .. that probably just means I am a grumpy old man :)
Get the SV sample pack. It's a great option to choose your favorite 5 out of 13 or so they currently offer.

I've settled for 3, for now, but man it was a tough choice! 😁

Reactions: Avi
I hit my face and throat, and often the back of my neck, with my aftershave (usually Clubman Special Reserve, but sometimes a Stirling product like Sharp Dressed Man). After I've had breakfast and brushed my teeth, I apply the cologne of the day -- so I'd guess about 35-45 minutes after the shave is over.

They have to be complimentary ... blue/blue, brown/brown, warm/warm etc.

Clubman Special Reserve followed by Tabac, etc.

AA
Good point, although I wouldn't say they "have to", rather "should be" of the same scent profile / main notes...

I always find it rather practical to get sets, as typically there's shaving soap, A/S and "Cologne" included. Some will even have bath soap, body spray, stick deodorant, etc, as well.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I do the same. Thayer’s witch hazel on a cotton round then wiped on my face and neck after the shave. Then pants, shoes and undershirt, then AS splash to the face and neck before picking out shirt for the day. :)
I like to use Osage Rub for the cooling blast. Feels better, in my opinion, than witch hazel.

Very short lived scent. After it dies down, I apply either a strongly scented AS or a Cologne/EdT/EdP.

My face is happiest if I avoid alchohol-based products, so aftershaves are out. I wear scents every day, applied to wrist pulse points.

Occasionally but its always a bit of a challenge to find & use something to match with the soap and aftershave, Polo blue, Davidoff cool water and the SV 70th edt are the only ones in my den
I still like Drakkar noir and the original Azzaro so maybe I should put them on my wishlist

Occasionally but its always a bit of a challenge to find & use something to match with the soap and aftershave, Polo blue, Davidoff cool water and the SV 70th edt are the only ones in my den
I still like Drakkar noir and the original Azzaro so maybe I should put them on my wishlist
Good point, as it's not every EDT/EDP has a matching A/S, let alone soap.

I've never used LR Polo Blue, so can't comment on that, but I am a fan of SV and really enjoy that they have a complete line of products with matching shave soap, A/S, bath soap and 4 matching EDPs. 70th anniversary EDP has just been released, BTW.

Davidoff CV is a great one IMHO. They have both A/S splash and A/S balm, unfortunately no shaving soap, so I use RR Acqua with it. It's not an exact match, but it's a good combo.

Top Bottom