What's new

College Football

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have a question and would like a definitive answer: How are the final rankings made? I'm talking about the final season rankings after the bowl games and after the national championship game.

Someone told me the four teams in the playoff - Alabama, Clemson, OSU, and Notre Dame - must all be ranked in the top four of the final rankings. Is that accurate?

I have spent a little time this morning trying to find a definitive answer to my question and been unsuccessful. Anybody know for sure? References?

Thanks.

Happy New Year,

Jim

I have a question and would like a definitive answer: How are the final rankings made? I'm talking about the final season rankings after the bowl games and after the national championship game.

Someone told me the four teams in the playoff - Alabama, Clemson, OSU, and Notre Dame - must all be ranked in the top four of the final rankings. Is that accurate?

I have spent a little time this morning trying to find a definitive answer to my question and been unsuccessful. Anybody know for sure? References?

Thanks.

Happy New Year,

Jim

In the past I haven't seen any of the top four ever fall out of the top four after their playoff games. I'd imagine that if Ohio State beats Alabama they they would take the top spot and Alabama would be second, followed by Clemson then Notre Dame. If Alabama wins it'll be Alabama then Ohio State followed by Clemson then Notre Dame.

If the committee decided to remove one of the top four and replace them with someone else, that wasn't in the top four before the playoffs, then that would be them admitting that they got it wrong in the first place. In terms of they must be ranked one through four, I don't suppose that they absolutely have to stay in the top four, but I just don't see that scenario happening as they aren't going to admit that they got it wrong and let that happen.

In terms of finding rules on how the committee puts who it wants, where it wants, the final rankings are likely decided the same way that the week to week is decided. It's not a cut and dry points system but more of an eye test for them and they can do whatever they'd like. They don't share with us any detail about how they choose who they choose so it's very unlikely that you'll find anything definitive.

1609693486995.png

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
In the past I haven't seen any of the top four ever fall out of the top four after their playoff games. I'd imagine that if Ohio State beats Alabama they they would take the top spot and Alabama would be second, followed by Clemson then Notre Dame. If Alabama wins it'll be Alabama then Ohio State followed by Clemson then Notre Dame.

If the committee decided to remove one of the top four and replace them with someone else, that wasn't in the top four before the playoffs, then that would be them admitting that they got it wrong in the first place. In terms of they must be ranked one through four, I don't suppose that they absolutely have to stay in the top four, but I just don't see that scenario happening as they aren't going to admit that they got it wrong and let that happen.

In terms of finding rules on how the committee puts who it wants, where it wants, the final rankings are likely decided the same way that the week to week is decided. It's not a cut and dry points system but more of an eye test for them and they can do whatever they'd like. They don't share with us any detail about how they choose who they choose so it's very unlikely that you'll find anything definitive.

I'm afraid you're probably right.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

I asking the same question on a football forum. I've been told there that the committee does no post bowl games rankings. Those are done by the AP and Coach's Polls. Someone also mentioned at least on instance where a team not in the playoffs was ranked in the final poll within the top four.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I asking the same question on a football forum. I've been told there that the committee does no post bowl games rankings. Those are done by the AP and Coach's Polls. Someone also mentioned at least on instance where a team not in the playoffs was ranked in the final poll within the top four.
So this means there's still a chance Notre Dame can end with the #1 ranking when all is said and done!

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Should be a good one tonight, and while I fully expect Alabama to win, I'm officially going on record as pulling for OSU ;) This is simply because as a former fellow resident of the ATL, I like Justin Fields and want to see him win.

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

Former Buckeye QB and ESPN TV guy Kirk Herbstreit, Jets' center Nick Mangold, linebacker A.J. Hawk, and kicker Mike Nugent all grew up within walking distance of my house.

Herbstreit moved from Ohio to Nashville some years ago because he claims his kids were being harassed at school by kids who said their father wasn't "fair" to Ohio State in his play by play comments.

Last edited:
Who is the only visiting team to have a winning record in Bryant Denny since 2000 (more than two games played)? Give you one guess.

Owen Bawn

The defending national champions, a/k/a the greatest team in CFP history, have the night off.
Not to get pedantic, but while they may be the current champions for another two hours, they aren't "defending" anything.

Former Buckeye QB and ESPN TV guy Kirk Herbstreit, Jets' center Nick Mangold, linebacker A.J. Hawk, and kicker Mike Nugent all grew up within walking distance of my house.

Herbstreit moved from Ohio to Nashville some years ago because he claims his kids were being harassed at school by kids who said their father wasn't "fair" to Ohio State in his play by play comments.
I used to like Herbstreit. But Musberger ruined him for me.

Owen Bawn

Just.Like.That. Down 3 scores before the half. I'm starting to think the game is over, Bucknuts.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy

Nashville is a great town and a wonderful place to live, I spent the first 28 years of my life there.

Ohio is a "from" state. It's one of those places people move away from. Tennessee, like almost every other state in the south is a "to" state, where folks from the the "from" states move to in droves.

Top Bottom