What's new

In stock tobacco thread

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Isn't it sad that we are in a world where we are all chatting about $5.70 being not bad for an ounce of pipe tobacco? I agree, most cases anything under $5 an ounce is a good price for a quality pipe tobacco. Some day we will all be here again chatting about being able to get some run of the mill blends for $8-10 an ounce and thankful to get it.

It's called inflation ... and sin taxes to destroy tobacco

Whenever I buy from Boswells, I get nailed with a 55 cents/oz. state tobacco surcharge. And I pay 6% state sales tax on top of that. Close to 20% of the cost of his mid-tier tobacco goes to directly to the state. And then I have to pay for shipping. His $3.75/oz tobacco winds up costing me over $5 an ounce delivered. Which is why I only buy from him periodically now. Too expensive.

What I smoke everyday still mainly costs in the $2-3 oz. range. Delivered. That is a bargain in 2020. When it's on sale, or there's a hefty coupon somewhere, I stock it deep.

I remember when I thought paying more than 49 cents for a pocket tin of PA was highway robbery. And a new Ford LTD cost $3,400, delivered, with tax and tags.

But I'm not having to get by on $10,000 a year, either.

Whenever I buy from Boswells, I get nailed with a 55 cents/oz. state tobacco surcharge. And I pay 6% state sales tax on top of that. Close to 20% of the cost of his mid-tier tobacco goes to directly to the state. And then I have to pay for shipping. His $3.75/oz tobacco winds up costing me over $5 an ounce delivered. Which is why I only buy from him periodically now. Too expensive.

What I smoke everyday still mainly costs in the $2-3 oz. range. Delivered. That is a bargain in 2020. When it's on sale, or there's a hefty coupon somewhere, I stock it deep.

I remember when I thought paying more than 49 cents for a pocket tin of PA was highway robbery. And a new Ford LTD cost $3,400, delivered, with tax and tags.

I remember when gas broke over $1 consistently, everyone was concerned. People were taking tailgates off their trucks to increase fuel efficiency in the rural poor town I lived in. Now us oil and gas employees struggling to find work wishes gas was $3.50 again.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

Couldn’t have said it better myself and I’m stocking up on bulk because the future has suddenly become gloomier. Whenever I order a pound of a tried and true, I try a few samples since I’ve already covered the shipping to see if there might be something to my tastes lurking.

Isn't it sad that we are in a world where we are all chatting about $5.70 being not bad for an ounce of pipe tobacco? I agree, most cases anything under $5 an ounce is a good price for a quality pipe tobacco. Some day we will all be here again chatting about being able to get some run of the mill blends for $8-10 an ounce and thankful to get it.
It’s never going to get cheaper than it is now. At least that’s how I justify my pad, tad, and cad.

I've heard such great things of Ten Russians and Captain Earle's Stimulus package but have yet to crack a tin. I have those two plus a tin of Honor's Blend needing to be tasted. Like 75% of my cellar...
I think the Honor Blend is the only one that piques my interest. Nice that they’re all crumble cakes too. Captain Earle's Honor Blend 8oz | Buy Captain Earle's Pipe Tobacco at Smokingpipes - https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/CaptainEarles/Honor-Blend-8oz/product_id/135174

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Picked up 8oz of Rum flake. Just dropped a big chunk of change on a walnut end grain cutting board so the 500g was a bit hard to justify. With Laudisi supposedly taking over distribution I am betting it stays in stock more often than before.

What is a walnut end grain cutting board? A standard wood slicing/dicing board? What size did you get..18” x 24” 3 1/2” thick? I saw some flavors I’d like to get but I’m not big on bulk purchases. I’ll have to sit on it for awhile while it all sells out.

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
What is a walnut end grain cutting board? A standard wood slicing/dicing board? What size did you get..18” x 24” 3 1/2” thick? I saw some flavors I’d like to get but I’m not big on bulk purchases. I’ll have to sit on it for awhile while it all sells out.

That one was over 4 bills. Went with a 22x16x2 endgrain.
Something like this:
07A49389-D0AF-4231-90F7-5E78575FB7A2.png

Very nice! Appears to be thick enough and a laminated butcher block design that you won’t have to worry about your investment warping. Those cutting boards are not cheap that is for sure; but, you are paying for quality. Almost looks like you could have a game of checkers/chess on it...

Top Bottom