What's new

Help... NO Longevity

I have several EDPs from Duke Cannon, solid colognes from Cremo and Duke Cannon, and Bath & Body Works Midnight. The Midnight lasts a long time (6+ hours) on the three friends who have tried it; for me it's undetectable after 45 minutes.
I don’t recognize any of those specifically. Solid colognes have a reputation for short longevity in general. I am not familiar with the ones you mentioned. I am also not familiar with bath and body works fragrances.

I suggest you grab a couple fragrances that are made by designer houses. They can be very affordable. Look them up first on a frag website and find a couple noted for longevity. I’m betting you’ll be amazed by the difference. I would give you a couple examples, but do not know your tastes. I’d hate for you to buy something you dislike.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
You might consider trying some vintage 1980s 'powerhouse' scents before they were reformulated. I suggest the wonderful Drakkar Noir or some vintage Aramis. Buy the genuine old stock, not the current retail versions as they are totally different and far inferior to the originals.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
The ones that really have staying power for me are Guerlain Vetiver and Habit Rouge, Chanel Antaeus, and Dior Eau Sauvage (not their new Sauvage). Personally I like scents that go away quickly for daily use. That is what I like about 4711 Cologne used as an aftershave.

You are not on blood thinners are you?
Nope. I apply cologne (I understand what EDT, EDP, etc. are but I use 'cologne' to mean any masculine scent) after the following prepping:
-Make sure skin is clean (not dirty or oily).
-Rub in a little bit of moisturizer to the areas that will be sprayed. Let it absorb.
-Spray once on each wrist and each artery on the sides of my neck.
-If I really feel fancy, I'll spray some on the underarms or neck of my shirt. I don't have any hair to spray it in.
-Hope it lasts. Bring a small decant with me.

It seems like my skin "drinks" any cologne I use. I have a friend who is a fragrance junkie, and any of the 8+ hour scents leave my skin in about an hour. Gone, like nobody can tell I'm even wearing cologne.

I find myself buying the cheaper brands (Cremo, Every Man Jack, Duke Cannon, Distillery Series, etc.) because I know I'll have to continually re-apply.

The reason you aren't getting any longevity is because of the fragrances you've mentioned - it's that simple. There are many, many fragrances around, both vintage and current, that are real powerhouse/beast mode frags that will solve your problem. Since you didn't mention any kind of budget, hard to give you specific recommendations, but here are some suggestions:

Vintage and semi-vintage versions: Davidoff by Davidoff, Chanel Antaeus, YSL Kouros, Dior Eau Sauvage EdP (2012), Lapidus Pour Homme, Dior Homme Intense, Dior Homme Parfum, Creed Aventus, Bogart One Man Show....

Current versions: Pretty much any Amouage fragrance, pretty much any Tauer fragrance (specifically L'Air du Desert Marocain), Parfum de Nicolai New York Intense, Giorgio Beverly Hills, Dior Fahrenheit....

Too many to mention.

The reason you aren't getting any longevity is because of the fragrances you've mentioned - it's that simple. There are many, many fragrances around, both vintage and current, that are real powerhouse/beast mode frags that will solve your problem. Since you didn't mention any kind of budget, hard to give you specific recommendations, but here are some suggestions:

Vintage and semi-vintage versions: Davidoff by Davidoff, Chanel Antaeus, YSL Kouros, Dior Eau Sauvage EdP (2012), Lapidus Pour Homme, Dior Homme Intense, Dior Homme Parfum, Creed Aventus, Bogart One Man Show....

Current versions: Pretty much any Amouage fragrance, pretty much any Tauer fragrance (specifically L'Air du Desert Marocain), Parfum de Nicolai New York Intense, Giorgio Beverly Hills, Dior Fahrenheit....

Too many to mention.
Budget is low. If I have enough to buy a $20 bottle of Cremo or Duke Cannon, I'm happy.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
It seems like my skin "drinks" any cologne I use. I have a friend who is a fragrance junkie, and any of the 8+ hour scents leave my skin in about an hour. Gone, like nobody can tell I'm even wearing cologne.

I find myself buying the cheaper brands (Cremo, Every Man Jack, Duke Cannon, Distillery Series, etc.) because I know I'll have to continually re-apply.

I've tried applying a little moisturizer before the cologne to help it last longer, but no good.
One way to see if your nose is not the issue is just put your cologne or aftershave on the back of a business card size thick paper and you should be able to notice scents periodically for a least 16 hrs or greater.
I always put a dap mid arm to test on my body because your sense of smell on the face deadens after 10- 20 minutes with just whiffs of the fragrance every once in a while for myself.

Too many to mention.
I really didn't want to be the first person to mention that Cremo, Duke Cannon and Bath and Body Works aren't exactly world-renowned fragrance houses, but I feel pretty confident that this is the issue that the OP is having. On a budget? I get it! Not everyone is crazy enough to drop $500+ on a fragrance (sigh...). But as others have stated, it would make sense to start with the classic fragrance companies. Heck, I saw a Guerlain at Marshall's for like $18 not that long ago. My recommendation would be to look into the kinds of fragrances that you think that you would like, and research some of the better examples of the style. You may be shocked to find how many quality "older" fragrances are available online for pennies on the dollar.

Last edited:
Find yourself some original quorum. I’m pretty sure I can still smell it 30yrs after it was sprayed. :eek2:
I really didn't want to be the first person to mention that Cremo, Duke Cannon and Bath and Body Works aren't exactly world-renowned fragrance houses, but I feel pretty confident that this is the issue that the OP is having. On a budget? I get it! Not everyone is crazy enough to drop $500+ on a fragrance (sigh...). But as others have stated, it would make sense to start with the classic fragrance companies. Heck, I saw a Guerlain at Marshall's for like $18 not that long ago. My recommendation would be to look into the kinds of fragrances that you think that you would like, and research some of the better examples of the style. You may be shocked to find how many quality "older" fragrances are available online for pennies on the dollar.

$20 budget - roger that. Not a problem - see above ^^^^^^^^^^^

You can easily get vintage Quorum on the bay in 20 or 30ml bottles for your budget. Also, vintage Avon Wild Country for around in that range or less. Also, check out the grey market fragrance sites like FragranceNet and FrangranceX and check out stuff you might like - many available for your budget - as an example, Lomani Pour Homme is only about $10 and is a good one.

I am in the same predicament. I find that two lower cost houses last much longer than any expensive scents I have.

Anything that has the name Bentley on the box will give me at least 6 hours. Also, believe it or not, the Classic Match Belcam knock-off Polo scents also give me at the minimum, 7 hours, especially the knock-off Polo Green.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Grey Flannel or Fahrenheit. Apply liberally.

A handful of Grey Flannel splashed on with a "YAHH!," and they'll get out of your way. Women will blink admiringly.

Maybe it just stings their eyes. :eek2:

AA
Now that stuff is inexpensive and boy is it strong and lasts for ever! Fantastic!

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I used to “apply liberally” with the Fahrenheit. I’m sure folks could smell me before I even pulled up at “Da Club.”

I forgot to mention another strong performer, CK Shock. I see Shock all the time in Marshals and TJMaxx. Very low cost, they almost give it away, nice fresh scent.

I suggest trying Knize Ten which is the definition of longevity. We are talking industrial strength longevity. I've went to sleep with the scent still strong from the early morning application. If this doesn't last nothing will.

For me, it depends on the fragrance. I used Guerlain Imperiale today and the scent is gone, completely. I used Houbigant Fougere Royale a couple days back and I could still smell traces the next morning.

Top Bottom