What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

Jaws. Seems like it is our go to New Year’s Day lying on the couch with a headache movie.

A great, rewatchable movie. Shaw's Indianapolis speech still gives me chills. My wife and I were living in SW Florida when it came out, and lines were around the block for weeks. I don't do lines, so it was probably a month before the lines died down and we found a sitter to go see it.

A great, rewatchable movie. Shaw's Indianapolis speech still gives me chills. My wife and I were living in SW Florida when it came out, and lines were around the block for weeks. I don't do lines, so it was probably a month before the lines died down and we found a sitter to go see it.
I was 6 when it came out so I didn’t get to see it until it was on TV a couple years later. I was 8 and had shark nightmares for a few years after. Thanks mom and dad!

Two B & W films:

M, the 1951 remake of the Fritz Lang classic about a serial child murderer. David Wayne -- yes, the musical comedy actor who worked often with Marilyn Monroe, and in 1975-76 played Inspector Queen to Jim Hutton's Ellery -- gives a tremendous performance as the killer. There are moments drawn from the original, the latest victim's ball bouncing and her balloon drifting off into the sky, etc. But this is a very American retelling set in 1950 L.A., with the underworld mounting a major offensive to find this despised killer as soon as possible. The film also features a load of later-famous or character actors, like Martin Gabel as the crime boss, Luther Adler as an alcoholic attorney, Howard Da Silva (1776) as a homicide cop, Jim Backus as a pompous mayor, and a pudgy, raspy-voiced Raymond Burr as one of the mob guys.

Yellow Sky, a 1948 Western directed by William Wellman and featuring Gregory Peck as a principled bank robber and gang leader, Anne Baxter as a tough tomboy, Richard Widmark as an untrustworthy former gambler, Harry "Col. Potter" Morgan, and the young John Russell (TV's Lawman) as a robber called "Lengthy." IMDb says that its plot, from a W.R. Burnett story, is modeled on Shakespeare's The Tempest. Very exciting and well done, with solid characterizations from everybody. It's not a well-known film, for some reason; I'd never heard of it until I stumbled across it on YooToob. (I need to find more of Burnett's work aside from the novel Asphalt Jungle.)

Did the sitter like it?

Jaws is one of those rare movies that is actually an improvement over the novel it's based on. Benchley's novel has all sorts of intrigue and soap-opera goings-on. Hooper the oceanographer, for example, in the novel is a tall blond guy who has an affair with Chief Brody's wife. When it came time to write the screenplay, Benchley jettisoned all that (maybe it was his idea, maybe Spielberg's?) and told a simple, classic story of three men going out in a boat -- to kill a fish as big as the boat.

Watched a Rainy Day In New York, a newer Woody Allen film. It's written like an older Woody Allen film, with a few of the actors getting it, but Mr. Chalamet gets the tone completely wrong and comes across as an angry, insensitive, petty young man. It needed a much lighter touch to turn this into a comedy. 30 years ago it would have been assayed admirably by Allen himself. Elle Fanning is completely unsuitable and one has to wonder are the men all that shallow to find this airhead attractive? I'm not sure whether this would be better for young Mia Farrow or Diane Keaton, but definitely not Fanning.

Also watched Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have The Key. This was a moderately fun Giallo version of The Black Cat. It is perfect drive in movie fare.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

And then ...

1609792591962.png

Top Bottom