What's new

show us your Lighters

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
In a bit of irony, I use the genuine Corona flints in my knock-off Old Boy lighters.
Yes. I wasn’t trying to be pushy about it. But apparently, flint hardness is matched to the flint wheel and flint spring on the lighter. Corona designs theirs to use a slightly softer flint, as opposed to say a Zippo, who designs for a harder one with a more aggressive wheel. Consequently, a Zippo will eat up a Corona flint in a hurry; and a Zippo flint in a Corona could start wearing the flint wheel while producing a weaker spark.

Obscure little details.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I would recommend using an ultra refined butane fuel. Xikar makes a decent one. I bought a 6 pack of neon 11x on amazon and have been happy with it. The ultra refined stuff is less likely to clog up your lighter. Living at 5k feet is another reason I buy the ultra refined stuff.

Xikar used to be good fuel. I don’t know what the new owners are sourcing these days, however.

I won’t recommend butanes, as everyone has their pet favorites ... except to say that the older Vector formula was my choice until I ran out of it. And I now get great results with Newport.

The good news is that Corona equips their lighters with substantial built-in filtration systems good for the life of the lighter.

And then we have the Dupont lighters, with their special color-coded Dupont fuels.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Just got this one today. Some of those Chinese lighters have caught my eye, and after a good experience with another one I bought, I decided to order a couple more. One is apparently coming from China, so it will be a while yet, but this one showed up today.

IMG_20201229_224823446.jpg

The cap is spring-loaded, and when you press the "power button" (the button literally has the on/off symbol present on most electronics; you can just make it out on the right), it snaps open and sparks. Since there's no windscreen, it's not very wind resistant, but it works pretty well for pipes.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Just got this one today. Some of those Chinese lighters have caught my eye, and after a good experience with another one I bought, I decided to order a couple more. One is apparently coming from China, so it will be a while yet, but this one showed up today.

View attachment 1201598

The cap is spring-loaded, and when you press the "power button" (the button literally has the on/off symbol present on most electronics; you can just make it out on the right), it snaps open and sparks. Since there's no windscreen, it's not very wind resistant, but it works pretty well for pipes.
Once it gets warmed up, it does have an unfortunate tendency to fling burning drops of fuel around.

Is this the currently available copper zippo? I saw this online and was really tempted by it

I don't know a whole lot about these. I did get this used online and polished it up myself. As I understand it, mine is solid copper because it has "Copper" stamped on the bottom. When I look at the Zippo website, the lighter I see, when searching on copper, is antique copper finish. It does not have "Copper" stamped on the bottom side. (Additionally, Zippo's price seem to be kind of low for a solid copper lighter.) So I don't think it is what I have.

Anyone else please correct me if I am wrong or you have more details.

Good luck!

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I don't know a whole lot about these. I did get this used online and polished it up myself. As I understand it, mine is solid copper because it has "Copper" stamped on the bottom. When I look at the Zippo website, the lighter I see, when searching on copper, is antique copper finish. It does not have "Copper" stamped on the bottom side. (Additionally, Zippo's price seem to be kind of low for a solid copper lighter.) So I don't think it is what I have.

Anyone else please correct me if I am wrong or you have more details.

Good luck!

The "copper" Zippos used to be solid copper. But I don't know what the latest iterations are.

Nowadays, the nicest Zippos I see in new production are the Armor series. Very solid.

The weak point on all Zippos is the hinge. Don't fiddle with them too much without an insert installed.

Zippos are a great value in a lighter, even today. They just work.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I’ll just add that my favorite Zippo of the more recent era is the 1935 Replica with slashes. A very stylish little lighter as Zippos go. Not as substantial feeling as the Armor ones. But I feel like I should be seeing a GG1 pass by when holding it.

I liked it so much that I bought one, just to look at it in the box from time to time. You can do that with Zippos, as they are so darned affordable here in the US.

Is this the currently available copper zippo? I saw this online and was really tempted by it
No...the Zippo copper lighter you show images of above is a rarer issue/version. For practicality purposes Zippo would only copper "finish" their standard issues (I.e. antique copper.) Once in a while Zippo will come out with special/limited releases such as the solid copper case in your image. The date stamp on the lighter is blocked on your image but I'd be willing to wager it is stamped with an "03." Zippo released a solid copper case version in 2003. I do not know of a current release that has a solid copper case. Zippo generally stamps that identification, like your image, on the bottom of their cases.

Zippo is the mail-order bride. These two are going to meet “lighter to lighter” soon. Seemed only fitting to introduce them formally to each other beforehand. Both designs appear to me to have “that 60’s car vibe” goin’ on. Engine turned metal, grillwork and wood trim. Not looking forward to seeing the Frankenstein monster these two are likely to produce...only a Zippo today. IM Corona is a little jealous right now; but, still “got it goin’ on.”
Zippo Steel & Wood Pipe Lighter
A346625E-06F1-424B-9781-0AD6DCE2AEC4.jpeg

IM Corona Pipemaster Chrome w/Briar Panel
1A22D127-063D-4629-8825-D3B738C8C680.jpeg

An update on my hemp wick experiment. Bottom line: using the hemp wick is a bit fiddly, but then so is pipe smoking. I am now wrapping a few feet of the wick on a wood handled tamper and that serves me well. I use one of my other lighters to light the wick, thus the fiddly part. The process works fine unless there is too much wind, too much being more than a gentle zephyr. Other wise, the wick works just fine. It is especially good for an initial light and a relight deeper in the bowl. As for burning cooler than butane, I'm not sure it is immune from scorching a rim if you are not careful, so that is a bit of a wash. It does make for less butane usage, but that isn't a huge deal in the long term scheme of things. I will likely keep using it in the right conditions just for the fun of it, but it is not the ultimate answer to the whole issue of how to light your pipe.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Zippo is the mail-order bride. These two are going to meet “lighter to lighter” soon. Seemed only fitting to introduce them formally to each other beforehand. Both designs appear to me to have “that 60’s car vibe” goin’ on. Engine turned metal, grillwork and wood trim. Not looking forward to seeing the Frankenstein monster these two are likely to produce...only a Zippo today. IM Corona is a little jealous right now; but, still “got it goin’ on.”
Zippo Steel & Wood Pipe Lighter
View attachment 1203552

IM Corona Pipemaster Chrome w/Briar Panel
View attachment 1203551
As much as I have a soft spot for Zippos, that’s a no-contest bout. The Pipemaster is a simply fabulous pipe lighter.

Some Zippos with torch inserts, an old Xikar, and an ST Dupont Line/Ligne 2...it's surprising how heavy the Dupont is AND the flame is sensitive to any wind or slight breeze.

Attachments

• IMG_20210103_151935984.jpg
    IMG_20210103_151935984.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20210103_151839108_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210103_151839108_HDR.jpg
    945.9 KB · Views: 7
...that’s a no-contest bout.

Wasn’t intending it to be a competition. IM Corona was just getting a little lonely, that’s all. So was I with my penchant for lighters.

Both lighters serve different conditions but still accomplish the same purpose of providing a fire. In any case a lot of my lighters are more collectibles than anything else and are not conducive to being just stuffed into my pant/shirt/jacket pocket only to accidentally fall/get lost/broken or unwanted wear and tear on the finish.

One of my more expensive lighters like the IM Corona Old Boy Mother of Pearl are too expensive for carelessness. Zippo’s are relatively cheap enough to own and carry a bevy of them if a person chooses.

While finding the potential mate listed above for my Pipemaster several additional Zippo empty cases and lighters were also acquired that I was fond of and found very inexpensive. Most will be submitted to Zippo for pipe inserts.

One nice buy, for a song, was a High Polish Solid Brass Zippo with no insert/empty case.

Zippo High Polish Solid Brass Case (no insert)
50C4B0EC-16B2-422B-A7B3-23518EA56C2F.jpeg

Another great buy was a Zippo Paracord carry case which should be more kind to the inserted lighter finishes. Only cost $10.00 too. The pouch has a hook/loop fastener for maybe attaching a carabiner or else a belt loop attachment. I’ve always gone carabiner route hooked on pants or packs.

This paracord case is mostly going to be used to carry my IM Corona and Kiribi lighters that have delicate finishes because of the extra depth and softness of that case. This case swallows up a regular Zippo and is reported to be difficult to extract Zippo’s from this case because of that case’s depth and button closure. May be difficult issue with belt wearing.

You will also find out those leather cases, such as Zippo’s, are a very tight fit which results in lighters that are difficult to remove from their respective cases with the potential of wear and tear on the lighter’s finish. One would think Zippo would have been more thoughtful when designing their pouch/cases as they had been with their world famous lighters.

Zippo Paracord Pouch
EE3CEA27-C71C-4D50-AC5E-9F3127B27319.jpeg7E79C823-545F-4773-855F-E8BFE5DBA166.jpeg

Last edited:
Pulled out my old well used Nimrod Pipeliter and charged it up. :)
proxy.php

On another note, I'm curious as to the consensus preference here regarding brass lighter finishes. What do you prefer?
Highly polished or brushed?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
On another note, I'm curious as to the consensus preference here regarding brass lighter finishes. What do you prefer?
Highly polished or brushed?

I like tools that look like they work for a living, and are not kept pristine. Whether that's polished smooth with use, or scuffed up, is irrelevant to me. That's pipes, lighters, pocket knives, torch, pens, whatever.

My apologies to the mods for a double post but I figured here and in the in stock thread would be good info to share.

Cupojoes - 25% off IM Corona lighters. I don't recall ever seeing a sale on Corona lighters before.

Top Bottom