What's new

Cellaring for the long term

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Did you ever have Edgeworth? It was made in VA but may have been a burley. It was sliced and came in a small rectangular tin. It was a great no frills full flavor tobacco.
I haven't tried that blend. I'll have to see if it's still available and remedy that deficiency.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I just found two small jars VA flake I had put away in the fall of 2013. One SG VFV and the other a VA flake I bought bulk. They are very good but I have no idea what they were like new. I’ll just have to assume they are somehow better now.
I can’t stand FVF fresh, but get at least a year on it and it starts getting good.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
On the topic of rectangular tins...

I've read that while they are the most prone to failure, they should still be good for a few years if checked regularly. But check for what, exactly? Aside from the lid having blown off and vomited tobacco everywhere, it doesn't strike me that there's much to see...

Do you try to remove the lid? Shake it? Squeeze it? Do a rain dance around it?

Also, there's a conflicting aspect of cellaring in tins that pops up from time to time. Keeping undisturbed in their original tin does seem to be the convention, but some reading matter does seem to suggest an improvement to a tobacco after it's been transferred to a jar for a while, even if it's spent a good while stewing in a tin. Can anyone offer any clarity on this?

On the topic of rectangular tins...

I've read that while they are the most prone to failure, they should still be good for a few years if checked regularly. But check for what, exactly? Aside from the lid having blown off and vomited tobacco everywhere, it doesn't strike me that there's much to see...

Do you try to remove the lid? Shake it? Squeeze it? Do a rain dance around it?

Also, there's a conflicting aspect of cellaring in tins that pops up from time to time. Keeping undisturbed in their original tin does seem to be the convention, but some reading matter does seem to suggest an improvement to a tobacco after it's been transferred to a jar for a while, even if it's spent a good while stewing in a tin. Can anyone offer any clarity on this?
If a tin lost it's seal you can tell my feel. Simply pressing on the lid or giving it a squeeze will show. Also check for rust. Square/rectangle tins I think are the bigger culprit to fail.

Having said that. Almost any tin of tobacco I crack tastes better after being open a few days. First smoke of a cracked tin is usually meh. Throw it in a jar and try it a few days or a week later and much better.

I tend to have to reorganize my cellar every couple of years. I sort by type and shape of tin. Adding more tins changes the boxes. I also check it again my handwritten inventory. I've tried typing a spreadsheet or using tobacco cellar but just hate inputting that much info. I don't sit still well after years in a kitchen always hustling.

As for the 8 flats of jars, I check to make sure the kids are good and the button on the lid is down. Also checking against my inventory.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
If a tin lost it's seal you can tell my feel. Simply pressing on the lid or giving it a squeeze will show. Also check for rust. Square/rectangle tins I think are the bigger culprit to fail.

Having said that. Almost any tin of tobacco I crack tastes better after being open a few days. First smoke of a cracked tin is usually meh. Throw it in a jar and try it a few days or a week later and much better.

I tend to have to reorganize my cellar every couple of years. I sort by type and shape of tin. Adding more tins changes the boxes. I also check it again my handwritten inventory. I've tried typing a spreadsheet or using tobacco cellar but just hate inputting that much info. I don't sit still well after years in a kitchen always hustling.

As for the 8 flats of jars, I check to make sure the kids are good and the button on the lid is down. Also checking against my inventory.

Cheers John :thumbup:

I can't be bothered messing around with databases either, but thankfully it's hardly necessary with my humble stash. I've just got to open a drawer to check mine :D

I'll keep a look out for the things you mentioned, and hopefully they'll maintain integrity for the five or so years I need from them.

Cheers John :thumbup:

I can't be bothered messing around with databases either, but thankfully it's hardly necessary with my humble stash. I've just got to open a drawer to check mine :D

I'll keep a look out for the things you mentioned, and hopefully they'll maintain integrity for the five or so years I need from them.
Five years isn't that long. I have a tin from 2002 I can spin like a top. It's about ready to be opened but I think to clear out a jar first...

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Five years isn't that long. I have a tin from 2002 I can spin like a top. It's about ready to be opened but I think to clear out a jar first...

Yeah, jars for when I do open tins is something I need to consider. Smoking so little, a tin will go quite a while from opening to finising, potentially up to a year with other tins open too.

My current thinking, is to split each tin between two 120ml jars. One tin then stays sealed with half the blend in, until I've finished the other. I do have 10 small jars of that size, but they're currently "busy" and need freeing back up.

Top Bottom