What's new

Tennis anyone?

I skied on Fischer’s mostly with a few Head GS and powder ski is. I haven’t skied since I blew out my Achilles in 1990.
I miss it.

My rebuilt knee (A-C repair) is hanging in there for lots of vert. I always wear a brace. Don't know much about Achilles, though. I've seen a guy go down with one in indoor soccer. Scary.

I have to pick my places to serve and volley too. The tactic is highly effective against young guns who rarely see it.
I agree with you about inner tennis. It works.
I attended one of the inner tennis workshops. Very helpful.
So does Vic Braden’s “down the middle and deep.”

Vic Braden’s “down the middle and deep.”

Works on me. I would have needed many more lessons and much more time to devote to the court to be a consistent baseline hitter.

Deep is really good on public courts where the opponent (or more likely myself) can be backed close to some ratty chain link, cratered concrete, old balls and drink cups. At least deposit laws cut the beer bottles and pop cans to zero. Racquet, check. Balls, check. Water, check. Visor, check. Push broom, check.

Works on me. I would have needed many more lessons and much more time to devote to the court to be a consistent baseline hitter.

Deep is really good on public courts where the opponent (or more likely myself) can be backed close to some ratty chain link, cratered concrete, old balls and drink cups. At least deposit laws cut the beer bottles and pop cans to zero. Racquet, check. Balls, check. Water, check. Visor, check. Push broom, check.
I had a neighbor that was a true retriever.
He was fast could run down anything and had solid strokes.
He loved to run.
One time (I could only do it once.) I pulled him wide on a crosscourt forehand which he hit up the line to my backhand. I hit it crosscourt and he hit it back to center court. This was a solid exchange wit good pace on a hot day.
I hit a very pedestrian ball down the middle and wanting to end the point he hit too hard and drove it well past the baseline.
This was the golden key I was looking for.
Few players at the recreational level can end a point from the middle of the court. Good tennis is helping your opponent miss.
I saw a match between Borg and Wojtek Fibak which Borg won.
What made it memorable is that Fibak gave Borg fits chipping and slicing balls down the middle followed by low skidding crosscourt shots.
Counter punching works.

Yahoo! Played with my neighbor Richard for an hour and a half.
Pretty rusty.
We split two sets 3-5, 6-4.
What fun!
Got to get back out on court.

Getting back into it! Have been playing mostly doubles and enjoying the net play.

Got some acquisitions recently, haha. Got a spare NB tennis shoes and Volkl Vsense 10 to try out. I liked the specs on it and Volkl was one of my first rackets to start off so I got one for nostalgic sake. Looks beautiful and hopefully it feels good.

Tennis mail call - 20201218.jpg

Getting back into it! Have been playing mostly doubles and enjoying the net play.

Got some acquisitions recently, haha. Got a spare NB tennis shoes and Volkl Vsense 10 to try out. I liked the specs on it and Volkl was one of my first rackets to start off so I got one for nostalgic sake. Looks beautiful and hopefully it feels good.

View attachment 1196898

Fantastic!
I’m playing singles again.
We’ve had snow on the courts in Denver. I’m using an old Wilson Blade 93 and a Volkl VSense 9. Thinking seriously about the V1 Pro.
As soon as the snow clears it’s time for Polar Bear tennis!
Keep on swinging!
Ed

View attachment 1196898

Fantastic!
We’ve had snow on the courts in Denver. I’m using an old Wilson Blade 93 and a Volkl VSense 9. Thinking seriously about the V1 Pro.
Keep on swinging!
Ed

View attachment 1196898
The VSense 10 is a control frame. How are you going to string it?

Fantastic!
Keep on swinging!
Ed

The VSense 10 is a control frame. How are you going to string it?
Right on! It's sunny in the west coast so I've been just playing often.

I do the same setup for every racket: Isospeed 16 Poly main and Gosen OG sheep 16 on cross, at 60lbs. I got a little dropweight machine so I'm planning to do it today.

Right on! It's sunny in the west coast so I've been just playing often.

I do the same setup for every racket: Isospeed 16 Poly main and Gosen OG sheep 16 on cross, at 60lbs. I got a little dropweight machine so I'm planning to do it today.

Fantastic!
I’ve been stringing since 1968.
I did some of my best work on a Serrano drop weight machine.
Good luck with your V10.
Its a very nice racquet.

Who’s playing winter tennis?
The polar bears are playing in Denver.
Who is playing in Texas, Florida, California, Wisconsin?

My wife and I play indoors during the winter here in New Hampshire.
Sorry for the slow reply.
Our refrigerator died with famly on the way.
That’s great.
There are indoor courts near my house but I prefer outdoors. I’m part of a Polar bear tennis group.
Relatively mild winter so far.

I've been playing at Cali for couple months now. Around 60F so it's a cool winter to work up a sweat.
Great!
How’s the new Volkl playing for you!
You know, I’ve strung a number of sets of Isospeed. I think I’ll try it.
The old Blade 93 will get the first set.
It’s been in the 40s in Denver.
Pretty comfortable for this time of year. Yesterday’s match was canceled.
My opponent had a sore back. We rescheduled for this Sunday.

Great!
How’s the new Volkl playing for you!
You know, I’ve strung a number of sets of Isospeed. I think I’ll try it.
The old Blade 93 will get the first set.
It’s been in the 40s in Denver.
Pretty comfortable for this time of year. Yesterday’s match was canceled.
My opponent had a sore back. We rescheduled for this Sunday.
Hope the sunday goes through! It's been raining here in CA so I'm not sure how the courts will look like.

As for the Volkl, it's a little stiffer and lighter than what I work with which is Donnay Pro international. I had to switch it out in a middle of a match because I just couldn't feel the shots. But I'm continuing to work with it and it's been getting better. I just need to actively put some spin into the ball because the racket provides plenty of power. It feels good in the nets though.

I had a similar experience with the V9.
It was similar to a Pure Drive in that I couldn't hit a slower ball to change the pace.
Slower swings would float long.
I do like serving with it though.
Slice and topspin serves are improved with it.
I'm an old Pro Staff guy. If the V1 Pro isn't better, I'll go back to the Pro Staff.
The new Pro staff 97 feels a lot like the old school Pro Staffs with better pocketing.
Very nice but pricey.
If Sunday doesn't go it's okay.
I've been rehabbing my shoulder and getting stronger.
Serves had some real authority last time out.
Keep on swinging!

Sorry for the slow reply.
Our refrigerator died with famly on the way.
That’s great.
There are indoor courts near my house but I prefer outdoors. I’m part of a Polar bear tennis group.
Relatively mild winter so far.
There are 4 outdoor clay courts where we play but they shut them down in November. There are some public courts near us too but the rec departments take the net downs for winter. It hasn’t been frigid yet. I guess I’m saying there aren’t any outdoor options that I know of near us. Otherwise we would go on the ”mild” days when it’s in the 40’s.

There are 4 outdoor clay courts where we play but they shut them down in November. There are some public courts near us too but the rec departments take the net downs for winter. It hasn’t been frigid yet. I guess I’m saying there aren’t any outdoor options that I know of near us. Otherwise we would go on the ”mild” days when it’s in the 40’s.
Mostly hard courts in Denver.
A few clay courts. With the drought we are in it can be tough to maintain clay courts. The forties can be pretty comfortable here and the thirties aren’t bad when the winds are low.
27 with flurries here now. Only a teaser of a storm. It will strengthen before it hits your area.
Have aHappy New Year and just keep swinging.

Top Bottom